Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#761 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:27 PM

What kind of book do you have?

Obviously it must be a Giant book if he's able to ride on it. Duh.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#762 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

Oddly enough I do have a Giant road bike/book, but it was the Specialized commuter bike/book that I was riding while observing the Clover Point fiasco. 

#763 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:48 PM

Dinner hour tonight was just hopping!

227217847_10165342369895401_7013651894439857453_n.jpg

• Nparker, Greg, Redd42 and 3 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#764 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:17 PM

I see Obee published Lisa’s rebuttal in the TC today.

https://www.timescol...ense-1.24348140
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#765 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:10 AM

that reads very self righteous i know better then you do... and ignores many things... or twists it in such a way to make it far from what it is... clover point was never just a place for cars.. clover point was well used before the changes, yes people parked there, but they also used it as a look out on all weather days, kids and adults flew kites there all the time, people took their dogs for walks there, and then walked down to the waterfront as it was an ideal spot to gain access to the water..

i do think for her to get the reality of the point she needs to go there more then just once on a good weather long weekend during prime access time... she should go check it out mid week, on a slightly windy day (not full wind since we all know it won't get used on a full wind day but mild wind), check it out on a cloudy day... and see how it's being used... the lack of people, the cars driving down looking for a parking spot only to turn around after they don't find one..

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#766 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:18 AM

that reads very self righteous i know better then you do... and ignores many things....

That's Lisa Helps in a nutshell.

• todd, DavidSchell, mbjj and 4 others like this

#767 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:53 PM

I've made a point of going down to Clover Pt. two or three times a week to check for myself, usually between around 11 am and 2 pm. Have yet to see anyone at a picnic table, despite wonderful weather, have yet to find a parking spot. 

• Nparker, DavidSchell, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#768 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:44 PM

I've made a point of going down to Clover Pt. two or three times a week to check for myself, usually between around 11 am and 2 pm. Have yet to see anyone at a picnic table, despite wonderful weather, have yet to find a parking spot. 

I live 5 minutes from there and walk my dog every day at various times, lost are the cars that are backed in having a bite to eat while the sun sets, people flying kites, families making their way up and down from the beach.

Lisa is and the counsel that support this move are soooo wrong on this issue ... when politicians start to ignore the facts and let their egos guide their decisions perhaps it is time for them to go.   

• rjag, sebberry, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#769 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:17 PM

to be fair the parking was not removed because it was being underused. the entire point of removing the parking was designed to reduce the number of cars parked there. so it is having the desired effect.

#770 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:14 PM

and in removing the number of cars they also removed the number of people who sit down there regularly and watch the waves and the sun from within their vehicles

• Love the rock, mbjj and jrm like this

#771 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:22 AM

and in removing the number of cars they also removed the number of people who sit down there regularly and watch the waves and the sun from within their vehicles

their misguided notion was that by removing cars more people would come down.  either after parking their cars further away or when travelling in by bike or foot.

A commentary by a climate scientist and a professor in the School of Earth and Ocean Science at the University of Victoria. Weaver was a lead author in the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Scientific Assessments.

I was taken aback by the misuse of climate science as an excuse for justifying what can only be described as a poorly thought-out redesign of Clover Point.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps describes a romantic picture of joyous intergenerational harmony as she visits Clover Point one Saturday afternoon.

I visit the area numerous times weekly and would suggest her portrayal not only doesn’t reflect reality, but serves as a teachable moment on why greenwashing bad public policy ends up doing more harm than good.

First, I’m not sure what meteorological expertise Victoria council has, or sought, in their new design. Anyone familiar with the area will tell you that very few people will ever picnic there on warm summer days (which is the peak time for picnics).

https://www.timescol...deas-1.24348740

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 05:22 AM.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Spy Black and 2 others like this

#772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:37 AM

Alert!

I saw two picnic tables being used yesterday.

Still a roving line of vehicles coming down and driving back out. Nobody hanging out on the central green space. There was a random dog, too.

Where are all of those people who said they’d flock there if only there were no cars? Where are all those people the mayor quoted as justification for her plan?
  • mbjj and Spy Black like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#773 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

They only managed to reduce the number of cars actually staying put in a parking spot. There are probably more cars than ever driving in circles, lol. I just find all of that fencing is soooo ugly. Really ruined a place that had a wide-open feel (same as they've done for the length of Dallas Rd. )

Excellent column by Andrew Weaver! 

#774 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:48 AM

their misguided notion was that by removing cars more people would come down.  either after parking their cars further away or when travelling in by bike or foot.

A commentary by a climate scientist and a professor in the School of Earth and Ocean Science at the University of Victoria. Weaver was a lead author in the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Scientific Assessments.

I was taken aback by the misuse of climate science as an excuse for justifying what can only be described as a poorly thought-out redesign of Clover Point.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps describes a romantic picture of joyous intergenerational harmony as she visits Clover Point one Saturday afternoon.

I visit the area numerous times weekly and would suggest her portrayal not only doesn’t reflect reality, but serves as a teachable moment on why greenwashing bad public policy ends up doing more harm than good.

First, I’m not sure what meteorological expertise Victoria council has, or sought, in their new design. Anyone familiar with the area will tell you that very few people will ever picnic there on warm summer days (which is the peak time for picnics).

https://www.timescol...deas-1.24348740

This was a beautiful smack down by Andrew Weaver. Everyone should read it.

When you justify a poor decision by evoking climate change, you end up polarizing the electorate into two camps: Cheerleaders who blindly, and unquestionably, follow along; and those who recognize the illogical string of arguments in the justification.

Many in the latter group will inevitably start to question other worthwhile climate change mitigation initiatives. The danger is that ideologues on the far right of the political spectrum will take advantage of the growing cynicism embodied in the second group to advance their own causes.

Many in the so-called “progressive” movement need to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror. I suggest that their virtue signaling and intolerance of dissent or competing views is not too dissimilar from the actions of the alt-right who deny even the very existence of global warming.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#775 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

Can’t remember the last time I contorted myself into a dirty spider infested picnic table.
  • jrm likes this

#776 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:10 AM

I read that as Weaver really might be considering a run for mayor...

• Nparker, rjag, m3m and 1 other like this

#777 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

Lots of social media banter about the Greens being a clandestine conservative movement after all, following Weaver’s op-ed.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#778 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

Lots of social media banter about the Greens being a clandestine conservative movement after all, following Weaver’s op-ed.

:lol:

• sebberry likes this

#779 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:10 AM

Anyone who disagrees with The Narrative is a nazi by default.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#780 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

and ignores many things...

AEFED7D8-E990-4164-93B4-0B0C65BF2E4F.jpeg

E3D6F41D-62F4-49F5-9C0D-1770E82B5BBA.jpeg

5A15C4E0-1AA0-4C94-93E9-CA44C146A1AB.jpeg D8AEAE6C-07A5-430B-9E65-AA7DECC6730E.jpeg

Edited by todd, 05 August 2021 - 09:41 AM.

• LJ, sebberry and newbie_01 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)