• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#741 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

Well, Mr. Mari did a scientific calculation on July 24th and determined:

“Spent an hour down at Clover Point starting at 11:15am today and observed the following:

- 17 cars came/went the rest parked
- parking was full a total of 13 min
- 42 cyclists came through
- 64 pedestrians came through
- 39 dogs
- 14 strollers”

https://twitter.com/...4787932163?s=21

And yes, his very open support of mayor and much of council could be seen as problematic, but at least he’s been open and transparent about it unlike many of the other developers in town. Mayor Helps is totally on board with his vision of supplying the missing middle and eliminating the need for public hearings and increasing the available land for increased density. If this gets approved through city hall, Mr. Mari will have scored a win of epic proportions for his company and some would say for affordability. If the Telus proposal is able to overcome the economic and logistical challenges, they’ll still need a majority of council to get this approved, so we’ll see if his support and lobbying has an impact here. He has also positioned himself to be a great local proponent for larger developments (beyond the small to medium scale projects Aryze usually works on) because of his strong relationship with mayor and council. Maybe Reliance Properties should have employed him!

#742 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:19 PM

I hope Mr. Mari makes similar observations between October and March.
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

#743 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:23 PM

Rode my book through the loop today as I have often done for years. .

What kind of book do you have?

• aastra likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:10 PM

Well, Mr. Mari did a scientific calculation on July 24th and determined:

“Spent an hour down at Clover Point starting at 11:15am today and observed the following:

- 17 cars came/went the rest parked
- parking was full a total of 13 min
- 42 cyclists came through
- 64 pedestrians came through
- 39 dogs
- 14 strollers”

https://twitter.com/...4787932163?s=21

And yes, his very open support of mayor and much of council could be seen as problematic, but at least he’s been open and transparent about it unlike many of the other developers in town. Mayor Helps is totally on board with his vision of supplying the missing middle and eliminating the need for public hearings and increasing the available land for increased density. If this gets approved through city hall, Mr. Mari will have scored a win of epic proportions for his company and some would say for affordability. If the Telus proposal is able to overcome the economic and logistical challenges, they’ll still need a majority of council to get this approved, so we’ll see if his support and lobbying has an impact here. He has also positioned himself to be a great local proponent for larger developments (beyond the small to medium scale projects Aryze usually works on) because of his strong relationship with mayor and council. Maybe Reliance Properties should have employed him!

Meanwhile in this random Streetview shot there were 39 cars and a motorbike. That’s at least 40 people, in one snapshot.

Imagine how many people would come through in an hour before council messed up a good thing. Pedestrians and cyclists would pass through, too. Nobody had a problem with the way Clover Point was designed until it became a political target.

https://goo.gl/maps/pvXNs2WrJifrbKzGA
  • Nparker, rjag, Love the rock and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#745 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:26 PM

Streetview comes through once every few years.

clover-point.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#746 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:32 PM

I've often thought that what makes a community walkable isn't the absence of cars, it's the presence of amenities.  Cook street village has plenty of cars passing through and yet it's regarded as a very walkable neighborhood. 

All they needed to do at Clover Pt is move the parking a little closer to the center and put a walking path in in front of where the cars park. 

• Nparker, rjag, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:35 PM

Full of life, activity, joy. Cars, cyclists, even a kite flyer, randomly videod in July of 2016.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

Know it all.

#748 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:06 PM

On average, I require a car 4-5 hours two times a week. Evo's hourly rate is $14.99. That is $59.96 to $74.95 for that amount of time. Figure in the value of my time (an hour on each side), I might as well rent for the whole day.

As for making money on renting your parking space, that only works if you own and not rent.

Five hours in a Modo is like $20 plus a bit more for mileage, so depending on distance driven a lot less expensive. Everyone's situation is different, but if you just want to go to the grocery store for a big shop a couple of times per month, and maybe spend a day in Sidney or Sooke now and then, it's certainly a lot cheaper than owing a car.

Ii imagine somewhere around two full days a week is where the economics start to be less clear.

#749 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:12 PM

Rode my book through the loop today as I have often done for years. Took much longer today, as I had to stop three different times for people laboriously trying to get into or out of the parking spaces now that it was two-way traffic on the open bits, rather than nice angle slots on a simple one-way loop. I guarantee those cars generated more GHGs with the current parking arrangement, and enjoyed their visit a bit less as well. And it ruined my ability to just cycle the loop. 

I don't own a car. I'm even a little anti-car in the sense that I think an urban downtown should be pedestrian-first in approach. But there's good design and bad design, and the Clover Point re-work is screamingly bad design.

What kind of book do you have?

I have several; practically an entire library of bikes.

• Mike K. and LJ like this

#750 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:42 AM

All they needed to do at Clover Pt is move the parking a little closer to the center and put a walking path in in front of where the cars park. 

This is exactly all that was needed. It was weird / awkward that there was no trail around clover point.

• aastra and A Girl is No one like this

#751 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:13 AM

If Helps et al were serious about doing what they could at the civic-regulation level to prevent climate change they would:

--- ban all outdoor heat lamps effective immediately

--- make it illegal for businesses to keep their doors and-or windows open when the outside temperature is below 15C (except in unusual short-term cases where ventilation is urgently required)

--- synchronize traffic lights to provide the most efficient movement of vehicles and reduce slowdowns/stops

--- push for electrification of all transit vehicles (and hey, they might even be doing this one!)

#752 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:27 AM

^ end cruise ships

#753 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:16 AM

And replace all city owned gas powered vehicles with EVs.

#754 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:20 AM

And replace all city owned gas powered vehicles with EVs.

probably when the cybertruck comes out all new city pickups will be teslas.

or at least that's what mike k. is hoping.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2021 - 05:27 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#755 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

I'm surprised VicPD hasn't been forced into electric police cars.  The amount of idling those things do is insane.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#756 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:13 AM

If Helps et al were serious about doing what they could at the civic-regulation level to prevent climate change they would:

--- make it illegal for businesses to keep their doors and-or windows open when the outside temperature is below 15C (except in unusual short-term cases where ventilation is urgently required)

Shhhh, careful: I'm sure you're aware that councilors are know to frequent VV, from time-to-time.  It's just this kind of regulatory overreach and interference that makes Comrade Ben all tingly in his revolutionary.

• Nparker, rjag and Barrrister like this

#757 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:53 PM

I spent some time down at Clover Point today. It was a constant flow of vehicles coming down, then turning around to leave because there was nowhere to park.

Saving the world in a climate crisis, I guess.

Meanwhile even VicPD had to come down to check out the situation for themselves.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#758 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:57 PM

--- ban all outdoor heat lamps effective immediately
--- synchronize traffic lights to provide the most efficient movement of vehicles and reduce slowdowns/stops
--- push for electrification of all transit vehicles (and hey, they might even be doing this one!)

How do you achieve an 80% reduction in ghg when your goal is to also double the population or do they not take that into consideration?!

#759 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,875 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:18 PM

Meanwhile even VicPD had to come down to check out the situation for themselves.

• Mike K. likes this

#760 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:22 PM

I have several; practically an entire library of bikes.

Hence the old expression: it's just like reading a bike. That's how Shimano came up with the idea for index shifting. I'll stop now because I don't want to derail this thread.

• Greg likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users