• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#81 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:37 AM

Those folks carrying that 2-person kayak do realize they're quite far from the car they intended to put it on, right?

• aastra and Midnightly like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:40 AM

Wow, look at all of the activities that can take place on the existing road infrastructure!  

These conceptual drawings always crack me up.  It's a recipe for exactly what you can do while achieving balance - close it to cars on summer weekends and stick some picnic tables and food trucks there, maybe a summer Sunday market under the white tents (after it's taken down from it's home at the community care tent space on Cook St).

There's literally half the year that this space would never ever be used as pictured.  

post-3717-0-57087400-1612587357.jpg

• max.bravo likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#83 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

I'm very excited for these changes. I found Clover Point so much more enjoyable when it was closed to cars for construction, even without additions like picnic tables or food trucks. Since it's opened back up to cars it's pretty much the only part of Dallas Road I just avoid because I'd rather not hang around in a massive parking lot. 

• Brayvehart and m3m like this

#84 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:51 AM

...There's literally half the year that this space would never ever be used as pictured...

You forget that by banning cars at Clover Point, the local climate will instantly become sunny all year round, while at the same time achieving all the necessary precipitation to prevent drought and reduce global warming. The population will also become more youthful and agile. The cars that have traditionally parked here taking in the view, have prevented this for decades. You simply don't see the big picture the way CoV council does.

Don't believe me? Check out all the new activity at Beacon Hill Park since vehicle traffic was reduced there. It's a virtual utopia now!

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

I'm very excited for these changes...

Colour me shocked.

• rjag, sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:19 AM

“Sadly I am sure the fix is in and this will be approved. Many people are able to enjoy Clover Point only from a vehicle. There should be a compromise. Improve pedestrian amenities. But don’t ban cars.” - Hudson Mack via Twitter.
  • Nparker, Redd42 and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

there are 111 comments on the VV Facebook page.  only 2 in support.

why not just have it open to cars and the weekends they want to close it for festivals or whatever just close it off to cars?

or close it off to cars for all of july and august.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2021 - 11:46 AM.

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:34 AM

Correction, 111 comments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

121 comments now. People are not happy.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#90 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

I'm very excited for these changes. I found Clover Point so much more enjoyable when it was closed to cars for construction, even without additions like picnic tables or food trucks. Since it's opened back up to cars it's pretty much the only part of Dallas Road I just avoid because I'd rather not hang around in a massive parking lot. 

Of course you do. I'm sure Corey and Ed Pullman are gleefully clapping as well. This council is full steam ahead for pushing controversial decisions with limited accountability in the pandemic...its like they're taking advantage...never let a crisis go to waste right?

Edited by rjag, 06 February 2021 - 11:37 AM.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and pennymurphy2000 like this

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:46 AM

Correction, 111 comments.

oh ya that's what i meant.

123 comments now.

#92 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

Of course you do. I'm sure Corey and Ed Pullman are gleefully clapping as well. This council is full steam ahead for pushing controversial decisions with limited accountability in the pandemic...its like they're taking advantage...never let a crisis go to waste right?

When I saw the headline "Victoria council to consider car-free zone at the tip of Clover Point" in the TC the first thing that came to mind was "of course they are".  It's an activist council so what else would you expect?

Unless you are a subset of the population focusing on a very narrow agenda, you won't be represented by this council.  

• rjag likes this

#93 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

Those folks carrying that 2-person kayak do realize they're quite far from the car they intended to put it on, right?

What car? They carried it all the way from home

• Nparker likes this

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

These conceptual drawings always crack me up.

Let the record show we have yet another example of that longstanding contradiction: large numbers of ordinary people can be desirable and wonderful when the CoV says so, but large numbers of ordinary people can also be undesirable and terrible when the CoV says so. Obviously we should want big crowds milling about at Clover Point, but obviously we shouldn't want new apartment buildings downtown.

The contradiction is illustrated in the following quotes from two different city aldermen, 1973 and 1977:

Daily Colonist
March 13, 1973

...the high density factor would create an undesirable environment for any resident in the downtown area.

Daily Colonist
November 15, 1977

...thousands of people would be channeled to that street (Broad Street), providing major market for businesses.

#95 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

Considering it was the military gun range decades back, I'd be curious how much lead is under that blacktop.  From the photo it looks like they are leaving it as is and just blocking cars?

#96 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2021 - 01:44 PM

Since it's opened back up to cars it's pretty much the only part of Dallas Road I just avoid because I'd rather not hang around in a massive parking lot. 

So you're saying that there's all these other pedestrian only places there, but because you want to hang out only in that specific location it has to be shut down to cars?  

• rjag, Redd42, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#97 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:08 PM

121 comments now. People are not happy.

I find people tend to be more likely to comment when they're outraged by change than when they're happy about change. Even just looking at the "reactions" on FB, it's a fairly even split between like/love and angry/sad. Vibrant Victoria also tends to be more popular with the reactionary crowd to begin with. Looking at my friend's list, the only ones that I have that follow VV on Facebook are older or conservative-leaning, and most of them live out in Central Saanich, Gordon Head, Langford, etc. I'd hardly say it's an accurate sample of the residents of the CoV. Even I stopped following on Facebook when I got tired of the whining about cyclists and homeless people.

• Brayvehart and Victoria Watcher like this

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

...Unless you are a subset of the population focusing on a very narrow agenda, you won't be represented by this council...

This sums things up well.

#99 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

VV, like anywhere else on the internet, is an echo chamber. Only three comments so far on Reddit and they're all positive. 

"This is a great idea!"

"What an awesome idea! I never did enjoy having to dodge cars through that area."

"Great idea. Now just make the bike path go down there."

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

I find the comments to content posted on VV’s Facebook to be a mirror image of every other media outlet.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users