PROPOSED
Residences at the Empress
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Bosa Development has plans to erect an eight-storey rental building with ground floor commercial space southea... (view full profile)
Learn more about Residences at the Empress on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Residences at the Empress | Rentals | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yup it is all kinds of terrible. Cladding is bad, shape is bad and street interaction looks totally blown. Who knows maybe Aastra will see what we are missing here. He usually likes this kind of thing.

Others await a more sophisticated response, aastra.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#182 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

For the life of me I still can't understand why no downtown project has ever had even a smidgen of that Shoal Point/Swallow's Landing flavour. I thought for sure the Wharf/Government project would have it like crazy, but then the first design only sort of had it, and then the final design didn't have it at all. So then I thought for sure this project would have it like crazy, but it doesn't have it either.

I really don't know what look they're going for here. In the very least I was expecting a lot of balconies and terraces, and some culmination with the top couple of floors. Nope.

It actually strongly reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on what it is. Something at UVic, maybe? It's bugging me, I can see it but I can't pin it down.

#183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,782 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Ye-aahhhhhh. Um....no. Just NO. Looks like a friggin' mausoleum...

My first thought was it's some sort of giant church. 100% fail. 

#184 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Haida inspired roofline?

http://173.255.192.1...t-kay-llnagaay/

#185 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

It actually strongly reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on what it is. Something at UVic, maybe? It's bugging me, I can see it but I can't pin it down.

Me too!  I mentioned to Mike K. offline was it the old tower/archives at the museum, but that's not it.  It's trying for something that I also can not put my finger on.

Was there a tower?  Or am I going crazy?

museum-history-1975-I-20963.jpg?itok=XDi

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 June 2017 - 06:05 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#186 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Looks like a friggin' mausoleum.

My first thought was it's some sort of giant church.

I was going to say "funeral home". So why are we all in the same ballpark on this?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#187 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

Mausoleum, funeral home, some BIG new churches I have seen in the US.  Personality free, boring as ..., seriously wrong for that corner. Too much of a squat block without design to add some flair to it.

• Nparker likes this

#188 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hard to tell but it looks like the ground floor on the corner isn't engaging the sidewalk at all. I was hoping for some life there.

• kafkaesque likes this

#189 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

So can we assume it's pretty much the same design all around or are these two sides the "back"?

#190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,782 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Hard to tell but it looks like the ground floor on the corner isn't engaging the sidewalk at all. I was hoping for some life there.

Among its many flaws, this proposal appears to have abysmal street-level engagement. What's with all the landscaping between the sidewalk and the building?

#191 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

I am also not saying we need to have anything really tall here but I do think first it needs to have a really good ground floor. This is the beginning of the retail part of downtown. Also it would be nice if it was lighter. This is heavy and oppressive.
  • Nparker and kafkaesque like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#192 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

He usually likes this kind of thing.

You cut me deep. I'm reeling after that.

And besides, when have we ever seen this kind of thing?*

*seriously, I need to know because it's driving me crazy

#193 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

If you blur your eyes there's a suggestion of City Place because of the height and the roof overhang and some other superficial aspects:

post-3-0-88073300-1496881964.jpg

#194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,782 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

If you blur your eyes there's a suggestion of City Place because of the height and the roof overhang and some other superficial aspects:

I can see that.

Capture.JPG  2_a_a.png

Not that you were endorsing the idea, but I am not sure City Place necessarily needs to be emulated and certainly not at this location.

#195 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

It looks like an awful suburban office building in Surrey wearing a wide brimmed hat. Like it's trying to be urban, but it's right next to a freeway. It's quite bad.
  • Nparker likes this

#196 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

1960s modernism, definitely. UVic for sure. Also the original RBCM, Provincial Courthouse, and the Mosaic building. Those shallow angles on the facade and roof. The strong vertical elements. Interesting that it would seem to take its inspiration not from The Empress but from the museum, (in particular the carillon!).

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 June 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#197 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

Totally agree with the museum or UVic vibe.

#198 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

I thought this was some sort of dreary museum at first glance. The kind I would probably never step foot in.

Maybe reminds of you ECS or Elliott buildings at UVic.

main-blg-ecs.jpg

photo.jpg

• kafkaesque likes this

#199 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

For the life of me I still can't understand why no downtown project has ever had even a smidgen of that Shoal Point/Swallow's Landing flavour. I thought for sure the Wharf/Government project would have it like crazy, but then the first design only sort of had it, and then the final design didn't have it at all. So then I thought for sure this project would have it like crazy, but it doesn't have it either.

I really don't know what look they're going for here. In the very least I was expecting a lot of balconies and terraces, and some culmination with the top couple of floors. Nope.

Aastra - you usually don't have these on apartment buildings. Much more common on condominium buildings. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#200 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

Before we are all quick to judge it is good to recognize the following.

James Cheng has the Order of Canada, studied under Arthur Erickson and has designed 50+ buildings - including:

(Vancouver)

- Shaw Tower 

- Pac Rim 

- Shangri-La 

(Victoria)
- Parc Residences
- The Falls

He is at the top in terms of Canadian Architects and is often compared to Arthur Erickson and Bing Thom. 

It is good to recognize this as there may be reasons behind the specific design and something, or many things, we don't see from one C-Class rendering. 

Attached Images

• 02-809_Parc_(rb)_04a_opt_EXPORT.jpg
  • 01-802_Shaw_(jc)_CF189_opt_EXPORT.jpg
  • Falls_(jc)_-0718_opt_EXPORT.jpg
  • 1_262185678_1.jpg
  • shangrila_8_5_1.jpg

Edited by Mixed365, 07 June 2017 - 10:01 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users