PROPOSED
Residences at the Empress
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Bosa Development has plans to erect an eight-storey rental building with ground floor commercial space southea... (view full profile)
Learn more about Residences at the Empress on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Residences at the Empress | Rentals | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

Does modern* mean from the "modern era" (early to mid-20th century) or contemporary (i.e. built in the past 10 years)?

*https://www.architec.../Modernism.aspx

#162 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

I'd say they have the right idea in Ottawa. The new section should not "blend" with the older sections. It should stand apart as the distinctive 21st-century addition. I'm not crazy about the design that they've proposed but I think the concept is right. Take some inspiration from the old wings, make some references to them, but don't imitate them. In this case they seem to be borrowing the colour palette and maybe also some of the materials. Heck, I think maybe they've borrowed too much. It's just not distinctive enough.

I just find it odd that some people think the ongoing additions to these old hotels should continue to ape the oldest phases. Why? I'd say the Empress pushed its luck with the big 1920s wing, but it ended up turning out well. The 1980s stuff and the conference centre weren't nearly so successful. They tread into the realm of mockery. Do we really want yet another imitative wing, so far removed in time from the oldest wings? I sure don't. Methinks it could very well end up being a disaster.

• Rob Randall, Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

I'd say they have the right idea in Ottawa. The new section should not "blend" with the older sections. It should stand apart as the distinctive 21st-century addition. I'm not crazy about the design that they've proposed but I think the concept is right....

Agreed. 

#164 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Rezoning application for 700 Douglas (the former bus terminal) was submitted to CoV today. Plans have not been uploaded yet [x]

Edited by Jackerbie, 07 June 2017 - 01:24 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Interesting.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#166 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Interesting.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#167 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

It's not that interesting.

• Nparker likes this

#168 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

The JBNA got a sneak peek of what Bosa Development (not Bosa Properties) has in store for the bua terminal lands.

I wonder how much has changed since this meeting

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Residences-at-the-Fairmont-Empress.jpg

An artist's rendering of Bosa Development's proposal to build an eight-storey, 72-unit purpose-built rental complex with ground floor retail space on Douglas Street at Belleville Street. The development will replace Victoria's former inter-city bus depot.

Luxury rentals slated to replace bus depot behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel

http://victoria.citi...-empress-hotel/

• dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

I've been staring at that thing for almost 10 minutes now, trying to find if there is one positive about that design...  I got nothing to report...

• Rob Randall, Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#171 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I've been staring at that thing for almost 10 minutes now, trying to find if there is one positive about that design...  I got nothing to report...

Great.  Should pass at council with flying colours then.

• VicHockeyFan and Kapten Kapsell like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#172 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

^ it looks like it got... ya, nevermind.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#173 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Found it!  The 2 or 3 cherry trees are nice.  What's with the kooky hat over the last floor(s) of glazing, it looks silly.  And then all kinds of vertical "slots".  Holy moly, this really seems odd, and I'm not a design guy normally.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 June 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#174 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yup it is all kinds of terrible. Cladding is bad, shape is bad and street interaction looks totally blown. Who knows maybe Aastra will see what we are missing here. He usually likes this kind of thing.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#175 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

I think it's probably a result of the developer trying to do the opposite of tall and modern in order to get approved for this location. It does look a little odd

#176 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Yup it is all kinds of terrible. Cladding is bad, shape is bad and street interaction looks totally blown. Who knows maybe Aastra will see what we are missing here. He usually likes this kind of thing.

Randall also might interpret it for us.

#177 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,616 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

Ye-aahhhhhh. Um....no. Just NO. Looks like a friggin' mausoleum. Then again - it is adjacent to James Bay so perhaps its apropos after all......you know, a place where architectural vision and innovative building design ideas (not to mention people), go to die.....

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#178 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Maybe its supposed to mimic the Q Apartments?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#179 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

I've been staring at that thing for almost 10 minutes now, trying to find if there is one positive about that design

Looks like there might be some nice stone panels on the ground floor.

#180 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

Looks like there might be some nice stone panels on the ground floor.

That's all ya got?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users