Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#901 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

last year the centennial square display was scheduled to start december 13th (it was subsequently delayed).  so maybe this weekend is the normal light-up time downtown.  maybe they just don't like to be criticized for being early - which seems to be a thing.

Downtown is usually roaring to go with displays well before the Santa Parade, which in 2019 was on November 30th.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#902 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:55 PM

santa.jpg

Source: https://gvfs.ca/#eventGallerySection

• Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#903 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

I'm a little surprised at the lack of comment from the city and downtown businesses.  There must have been a conscious decision to abandon this but nothing said. I can guess that this would be viewed as a cost cutting measure but that flies in the face of the money flowing out of City Hall right now.  It seems to be more in line with social engineering than fiscal restraint. 

Would this not be something done to attract citizens downtown to support local businesses from going under?

• Nparker likes this

#904 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

I dunno, it's pretty sad. Downtown should be even more lit up and glitzy this year, but to do nothing half-way through the shopping season? It seems so humbug-ish.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#905 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:25 PM

On the bright side, we won't have to listen to Ben whine about poinsettias this year.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#906 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

I was down at the library so had a drive around the block to have a look. No banners, no greenery baskets, nothing. How disappointing. What a bunch of scrooges. 

• Nparker likes this

#907 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

Lipstick on a pig...
  • SimonH likes this

#908 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:39 PM

Maybe it’s just a timing thing, but drove in and out of downtown tonight, and there were definitely Christmas lights on the Government Street trees. Some blue and white lights. So maybe they’re for Hanukkah :)

#909 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:48 AM

That could be, it was Hanukkah yesterday!

Now were the lights on the trees, or turned on lights on the trees!

Know it all.

#910 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:24 AM

I must confess, I don’t quite understand what you’re asking lol. But the lights appeared to be strung to the trees, just like typical Christmas lights.

#911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:25 AM

It's just a joke. You said the lights were "on the trees," I asked if they were also turned on, not just on the trees.

I'll let myself out.

Know it all.

#912 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:36 AM

Oh... hah, still a little tired this morning lol

#913 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:04 PM

That could be, it was Hanukkah yesterday!

!

it’s not a one-day event.
  • Matt R. likes this

#914 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:26 PM

8 nights IIRC.

#915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

Ok, the “start” of Chanukah. Evan Solomon made a whole special out of it on the airwaves. Good times.

Aside: It’s bizarre how yesterday my autocorrect changed the spelling to Hanukkah and today it’s reverting to Chanukah.

Know it all.

#916 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:10 PM

I'll be celebrating Festivus.

• Matt R. and On the Level like this

#917 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:28 PM

I've got some grievances...

• Matt R. likes this

#918 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone care about Government street anymore in the first place. It just feels sad down there.

#919 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 03:21 PM

Not too sure what thread to post this in, but if you have 8 minutes, really interesting video discussing some European city cores and how they’re able to go car free. Whether it’s working, how they did it, etc. Worth a look!

https://youtu.be/g9-9CxCxrVE
  • Mike K. likes this

#920 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:27 PM

Not too sure what thread to post this in, but if you have 8 minutes, really interesting video discussing some European city cores and how they’re able to go car free. Whether it’s working, how they did it, etc. Worth a look!

https://youtu.be/g9-9CxCxrVE

City Beautiful makes great videos!

• marks_28 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users