Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1046 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (76 votes [63.87%])

Percentage of vote: 63.87%

2. No (29 votes [24.37%])

Percentage of vote: 24.37%

3. Depends (14 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1041 marks_28

marks_28
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Contrary to popular belief, there is still lots of parking available. I shop downtown often and have yet to have issues with homeless people. Except one time I was sitting on a picnic table on Govt Street during the summer, and likely a homeless individual sat next to me and explained how the government was brainwashing all of us through chem trails... but besides that, nothing really.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1042 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:34 PM

When my daughter was a teen she was a volunteer down at the cruise ship terminal and the folks all dressed up in "Victorian" clothing. Sorry, I had a giggle thinking of the homeless doing that, bad bad me.

I would pay to see councilors greeting tourists, while dressed as historical figures. Isitt as Sir John A McDonald. You want a vibrant downtown? That's the ticket right there. I will 100% support a car-free Government Street if it features Sir Ben A. greeting people in character.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

#1043 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 28,292 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:52 AM

Government Street downtown took on a different look and feel as of Friday, with pedestrians walking up the centre of the roadway.

It’s the first day of the City of Victoria’s closure of the street to vehicle traffic in afternoons and evenings, as part of the Build Back Victoria program. The closure, between Humboldt and Yates streets, is in effect seven days a week from noon to 10 p.m. and is designed to bring more people downtown and support local businesses.

People strolling along the corridor will find additional picnic tables and seating options and new planters have been installed to not only create a more welcoming space but to slow vehicles down during the hours the street is open to traffic (10 p.m. to noon the next day).

https://www.vicnews....-street-begins/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2021 - 06:53 AM.

#1044 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,431 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:40 AM

It’s the first day of the City of Victoria’s closure of the street to vehicle traffic in afternoons and evenings, as part of the Build Back Victoria program.

Mayor Helps tells The Beaverton that the program has drawn interest from those outside of the city, with folks from as far away as Edmonton showing up with hammers to help in the rebuilding efforts.  

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 9 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 67,027 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Classic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1046 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,895 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

^^ Wasn’t there a guy from Edmonton remodeling vans with a hammer recently?
  • Teardrop likes this

#1047 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,431 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:42 PM

^^ Wasn’t there a guy from Edmonton remodeling vans with a hammer recently?

Hence the....  

:D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users