Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1041 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Contrary to popular belief, there is still lots of parking available. I shop downtown often and have yet to have issues with homeless people. Except one time I was sitting on a picnic table on Govt Street during the summer, and likely a homeless individual sat next to me and explained how the government was brainwashing all of us through chem trails... but besides that, nothing really.
  • Matt R. and Ismo07 like this

#1042 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:34 PM

When my daughter was a teen she was a volunteer down at the cruise ship terminal and the folks all dressed up in "Victorian" clothing. Sorry, I had a giggle thinking of the homeless doing that, bad bad me.

I would pay to see councilors greeting tourists, while dressed as historical figures. Isitt as Sir John A McDonald. You want a vibrant downtown? That's the ticket right there. I will 100% support a car-free Government Street if it features Sir Ben A. greeting people in character.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

#1043 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:52 AM

Government Street downtown took on a different look and feel as of Friday, with pedestrians walking up the centre of the roadway.

It’s the first day of the City of Victoria’s closure of the street to vehicle traffic in afternoons and evenings, as part of the Build Back Victoria program. The closure, between Humboldt and Yates streets, is in effect seven days a week from noon to 10 p.m. and is designed to bring more people downtown and support local businesses.

People strolling along the corridor will find additional picnic tables and seating options and new planters have been installed to not only create a more welcoming space but to slow vehicles down during the hours the street is open to traffic (10 p.m. to noon the next day).

https://www.vicnews....-street-begins/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2021 - 06:53 AM.

#1044 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:40 AM

It’s the first day of the City of Victoria’s closure of the street to vehicle traffic in afternoons and evenings, as part of the Build Back Victoria program.

Mayor Helps tells The Beaverton that the program has drawn interest from those outside of the city, with folks from as far away as Edmonton showing up with hammers to help in the rebuilding efforts.  

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 9 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Classic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1046 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

^^ Wasn’t there a guy from Edmonton remodeling vans with a hammer recently?
  • Teardrop likes this

#1047 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:42 PM

^^ Wasn’t there a guy from Edmonton remodeling vans with a hammer recently?

Hence the....  

:D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:28 PM

This council is sh*tty at projects.

Since this is “once in a generation” (it really isn’t but fools say stuff like this) they should let the next council handle this.

Calling it a once-in-a-generation chance to make over a local landmark, the City of Victoria is asking the public to weigh in on a draft redesign for Government Street.

The street has evolved through the pandemic into what the city calls a people-priority thoroughfare, with new pedestrian-only zones and more on-street activity that does not include vehicles.

https://www.timescol...-remake-5120499

Is Chinatown even relevant in an increasingly retail-less world? Are there any interesting or good shops there?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2022 - 12:31 PM.

#1049 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:42 PM

...the City of Victoria is asking the public to weigh in on a draft redesign for Government Street....

What's the point? The CoV's public engagement process is completely disingenuous. I would laugh it off if it didn't mean more of my tax dollars were being wasted "consulting" on fait accompli projects.

#1050 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:44 PM

So you don’t think I should present my design for a third square mid-way along the route?

The Captain Cook / Sir John A. Macdonald square at the entrance to Bastion Square.

Or my Robert Dunsmuir Gate by Monty’s?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2022 - 12:46 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1051 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 March 2022 - 04:40 PM

Its an extremely poor visioning for such an iconic street with some of the highest retail rents on the continent.

I especially like how they lumped in bikes with the horse and carriage questions, that'll really pad the numbers for more bike lanes.

The square by Chinatown should incorporate Centennial Square as a larger whole. WTF is a splash pad for and we all know it'll become the town toilet very quickly.

Nope this vision is weak, its more likely adequate for Fernwood or Quadra Village etc but not one of the most recognized streets in North America. 

And seriously, who are they kidding about engagement? Like they listened over Clover Point or BHP... October cant come soon enough to dump these fools

• Nparker, LJ, mbjj and 3 others like this

#1052 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 05:07 PM

I was down there on Tuesday night, at about 7PM. It was soulless and sketchy. Hopefully the cruise ships change all of that but man oh man, without vehicles the street is eerily quiet.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1053 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 09:04 PM

I was down there on Tuesday night, at about 7PM. It was soulless and sketchy. Hopefully the cruise ships change all of that but man oh man, without vehicles the street is eerily quiet.

There is a large movement to ban the cruise ships, especially from the local neighbourhood associations.  Now we'll discourage folks living in the CRD from visiting for the same reasons.  They could end up spending a lot of money to enhance urban decay. 

• LJ and Barrrister like this

#1054 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 10:02 AM

They could just refer to my design at the start of this thread. It created extra parking for the area even. Not that I have much passion for this at the moment. I can't really enjoy downtown anymore (except for the legislature on Saturdays). I can't wear a mask nor am I willing to show papers just to enjoy a beer in a pub. Even if I could wear a mask, I find it too traumatic to witness people wearing one to get past the door and go to the bathroom but not while they are seated. It's just too much twilight zone for me to enjoy the atmosphere. The trauma is all around no matter where you settle on this. Two years of trauma programing probably has something to do with the sketchy vibe down there? 

The one bonus of the last two years is we have gained patio space in this town! I hope I can enjoy it again one day! 

• Nparker likes this

#1055 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 10:31 AM

The lack of vehicle traffic along government is killing the vibe that once existed along this strip and is creating a traffic nightmare on Wharf St making it increasingly dangerous for pedestrians.

Has CoV ever asked the business along the strip if they are in favor of it closing it off?  From the ones I have talked to the answer is "NO" ... they are the ones that make Government St what it is and it should be their choice. 

Edited by DavidSchell, 04 March 2022 - 10:37 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1056 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 03:50 PM

I think that the design is okay. I really think that if the City is going to do it, they need to go all the way. No cars along the street but keep open the side streets. And really work on animating the space with buskers and food sellers, especially at night. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1057 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:06 PM

I think that the design is okay. I really think that if the City is going to do it, they need to go all the way. No cars along the street but keep open the side streets. And really work on animating the space with buskers and food sellers, especially at night. 

Are they going to pay the buskers and food sellers? Without customer traffic then they are not going to be wasting their time.

#1058 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:47 PM

Thats pretty low budget for such an iconic street. Do you honestly think buskers are going to help pay the merchants rents on that street? 

Maybe that would fly in Fernwood or Cook St Village. 

Closing that road off has shown it to be a disaster for the merchants along there. I'm in favour of a pedestrian precinct but the concept presented is pretty amateurish. This isnt Barcelona where the evening temps are in the 70-80's 8-9 months a year. From Oct-April its not inviting at all especially in the evenings.

But like Clover Point the agenda is to close it off regardless of what the surveys and merchants wish. Is part of that agenda to bankrupt most of the existing merchants to 'decolonize' the street? 

And the congestion on Wharf doesnt help. I think they need to do a redo and rip up all the bike lanes from the Govt intersection at Wharf all the way to Yates. Then turn Govt into the bike lane/pedestrian area from Yates to Humboldt. This would ease the congestion on Wharf plus add more activity to Govt 

• DavidSchell likes this

#1059 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 05:07 PM

...This isn't Barcelona where the evening temps are in the 70-80's 8-9 months a year. From Oct-April its not inviting at all especially in the evenings...

This. Just where are all the pedestrians going to come from half of each year to keep the street animated and lively?

#1060 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 05:14 PM

Alaska is still pushing to have the Canadian stop requirement permanently removed

as a Covid economic recovery measure.  Maybe Our Place can open a ne branch on government street along with an office for drug testing. 

• Nparker, rjag, spanky123 and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users