Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1021 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

Why can't the homeless , residents,settlers, housies and tourists all co- exist downtown? Instead of being afraid of the homeless boogy man embrace the quirky side of Victoria people! why not have the homeless as ambassadors to the city when the cruise ships start returning? Don't push us down into the gutters let us all thrive!

there was a downtown volunteer ambassador program.  not sure if it's a thing anymore.

but there is nothing to stop the homeless from donning an "INFO" t-shirt ad handing out free advice on a volunteer basis.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2021 - 02:12 PM.

#1022 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:44 PM

When my daughter was a teen she was a volunteer down at the cruise ship terminal and the folks all dressed up in "Victorian" clothing. Sorry, I had a giggle thinking of the homeless doing that, bad bad me. 

#1023 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

I did the survey on the Government St. and James Bay bike lanes. Some questions gave you a choice of two things, neither of which I cared for, lol. Luckily, a box for comments. 

#1024 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

...Some questions gave you a choice of two things, neither of which I cared for...

So in other words, a standard CoV survey - where the results have been predetermined.

#1025 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Has the CoV published a list of what they are considering for potential car free zones?  My guess so far is;

• Government street
  • Broad Street
  • Wharf Street
  • Dallas Road
  • Bellville Street
  • Cook Street

Not sure if they would go as far as Douglas....

#1026 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Has the CoV published a list of what they are considering for potential car free zones?

I think the areas bounded by Tolmie, Foul Bay and Dominion.

• rjag likes this

#1027 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:18 PM

I did the survey on the Government St. and James Bay bike lanes. Some questions gave you a choice of two things, neither of which I cared for, lol. Luckily, a box for comments. 

Too bad the box for comments doesn't get stored as part of the survey results!

#1028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:54 AM

An above-ground overhaul of Government Street is on the horizon to coincide with a major upgrade to below-ground water services along the downtown ­Victoria thoroughfare.

“The city is going to be doing a massive water-main replacement as part of our climate-adaptation and seismic-resiliency planning,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps.

Federal funding of $15 million has been secured, she said, with work to be done from Wharf Street/Humboldt Street to ­Pandora Avenue in 2023-24.

“The idea is to be prepared once that work is finished for basically a refurbishment of Government Street based on the direction in council’s strategic plan, which is to turn Government into a pedestrian-priority zone,” Helps said.

Jeff Bray, executive director of the Downtown Victoria Business Association, said he is happy to see the city is co-ordinating civic projects to minimize disruption.

“What we’ve always said at the DVBA with respect to Government Street is that any changes to the configuration of traffic flow really should work in concert with what business needs are there,” he said. “There are lots of issues that are impacted, deliveries for instance.

“We’re not for or against the idea of expanding the pedestrian space in and of itself, but if it’s done so because people think it’s a really cool idea, but it’s not taking into account the needs of the types of businesses there then we have some concerns.”

Discussions will consider more than pedestrian use, Helps said.

“It’s way bigger than that,” she said.

https://www.timescol...ject-1.24286196

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 February 2021 - 06:54 AM.

#1029 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:55 AM

...Discussions will consider more than pedestrian use, Helps said...

She's such a slick liar.

#1030 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:33 AM

I am sure that she will take into account bicycle use as well. 

#1031 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:15 AM

She's such a slick liar.

I like the part of how she suggests that since the Feds are paying for the underground work, why not do above ground work at the same time implying that we are saving money.

First of all the Fed money is only part of the cost and secondly the City has not yet published the projects that they will be undertaking. The water system encompasses far more than Government St however. Work that has been done in other munis rarely involved reworking the entire street to upgrade a water main. 

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#1032 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:01 AM

I like the part of how she suggests that since the Feds are paying for the underground work, why not do above ground work at the same time implying that we are saving money.

First of all the Fed money is only part of the cost and secondly the City has not yet published the projects that they will be undertaking. The water system encompasses far more than Government St however. Work that has been done in other munis rarely involved reworking the entire street to upgrade a water main. 

Bundling projects together to save costs is pretty common. For example, if a road is going to need repaving in a few years, and they're tearing half up now for utility work, it's cheaper to just repave the whole street now rather than do a patch job and repave later.   Another example would be the recent Dallas Road work, where the new sewer construction was bundled with paving and the new bike / ped facilities and retaining wall / fence. It's cheaper to do work once than have to re-do it on separate projects.

#1033 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

^ Fair enough but this is much more than paving a street.

#1034 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

Bundling projects together to save costs is pretty common. For example, if a road is going to need repaving in a few years, and they're tearing half up now for utility work, it's cheaper to just repave the whole street now rather than do a patch job and repave later. Another example would be the recent Dallas Road work, where the new sewer construction was bundled with paving and the new bike / ped facilities and retaining wall / fence. It's cheaper to do work once than have to re-do it on separate projects.

Fairfield road by Ross Bay is in terrible shape, I wonder if they’ll replace that before closing Richardson? I doubt it tho’

#1035 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

No that's fairly normal. Wharf bike lanes were part of the utility replacement. Saanich is redoing Shelbourne concurrent with utility work. Richmond is doing it right now with Gilbert Road.

The best example is Saint Catherine's Street in Montreal, and will probably become the model for Government Street in Victoria.
  • Brantastic likes this

#1036 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:32 PM

Why would someone go downtown to shop anymore?  There used to be such a great atmosphere, easy parking, no street hasslers, etc.  Now there is no atmosphere, no parking and one gets harassed by street people.  Malls and Langford have become much more attractive.

A few mentions of locals not going as the stores don't attract them. Which stores would attract locals better - aren't these all the stores that are currently in the Bay centre?

#1037 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:46 PM

Why would someone go downtown to shop anymore?  There used to be such a great atmosphere, easy parking, no street hasslers, etc.  Now there is no atmosphere, no parking and one gets harassed by street people.  Malls and Langford have become much more attractive.

Is Langford your idea of a great atmosphere? 

• Matt R., m3m and Victoria Watcher like this

#1038 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

Depends on where.  The boardwalks around the various lakes are amazing.  Goldstream park is amazing.  Mill Hill regional park is beautiful especially when the wildflowers are in bloom.  The downtown area is nice to walk when the summer flowers are in bloom.  Heck....they even put up Christmas decorations.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#1039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:32 PM

It changes by age, too.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1040 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

I went downtown yesterday, parked in the Yates st. parkade, did my shopping and left. Lots of room in the parkade and no charge. Plenty of atmosphere in Silk Road and the Dutch Bakery. The Bay centre, not so much. Wtf is up with the escalators?

Only street people I saw were a couple buskers in Bastion Square. Garrick’s Head looked pretty busy for early afternoon, as was Cactus, the Bakery, and the few other places I stopped.

Matt.
  • Brantastic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users