• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#361 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

I was at Canadian Tire Hillside a short while ago and a little altercation between a customer and security occurred. 

The shopper was being followed by plain-clothed security and was getting agitated, indicated by her loudly asking the security guy to stop following her and that she was the only one being followed because she was the only black woman around. 

I don't know what transpired before or after, but there were a few customers exchanging glances at each other wondering what was going on.   

I saw the woman moments later asking for a cart at the paint counter. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#362 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Response to rumours of Canadian Tire's expansion to Sooke reveal town's desire for commercial services

• todd likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#363 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 10:57 AM

I heard from a Canadian Tire employee at West Shore Town Centre that the store is expanding to a second storey.  I noticed today that the outdoor garden centre it appears, is becoming a permanent structural addition.

• todd likes this

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

Oh man, the layout of the store has changed recently. They've moved the aisles closer, stacked items higher, and everything feels so claustrophobic to a point where it's kind of unpleasant to shop there. If they did this in order to prepare a new space for escalators, then that makes some sense. But if this is their new normal I will be visiting the View Royal store more often.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

Oh man, the layout of the store has changed recently.

If Hillside is any indication, I'd say they're making room for the escalators and everything will spread out a bit more once a second floor is added.

Seems odd they'd do this now though without a second floor being there already.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

That’s going to be quite the undertaking. I wonder if they’ll be repurposing their external space (where some work is happening now) into a two-storey space, not that the entire store is going to expand?

Know it all.

#367 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:01 AM

View Royal's Canadian Tire plans expansion to 83,000 sq. ft. plus an 8,500 sq. ft. garden centre

Know it all.

#368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:16 AM

View Royal's Canadian Tire plans expansion to 83,000 sq. ft. plus an 8,500 sq. ft. garden centre...

:thumbsup:

#369 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone here have an experience with the Canadian Tire auto shops at either North Sannich or Broadmead?

Some locations get a pretty bad rap due to either poor quality workmanship or sleazy sales tactics "I can't let you drive away unless you x, y & z".

Turns out, if you have CT roadside assistance, you get a free oil change each year. Wondering if it's just going to be a headache if I use it at either location near me.

#370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

It’s a mechanic’s job to bring things to your attention, but unless there is a serious risk to life safety they can’t keep you from driving away because a fluid is too low or they claim a part has to be replaced. While they’re under there it’s good if they check for leaks.

You’d be surprised how bad some vehicles are. And the mechanic might actually be concerned about the safety of the occupants or other road users.

Know it all.

#371 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 02:12 PM

It’s a mechanic’s job to bring things to your attention, but unless there is a serious risk to life safety they can’t keep you from driving away because a fluid is too low or they claim a part has to be replaced. While they’re under there it’s good if they check for leaks.

You’d be surprised how bad some vehicles are. And the mechanic might actually be concerned about the safety of the occupants or other road users.

Rightly or wrongly, there's a whole thread on Redflagdeals of people sharing their Canadian Tire auto horror stories. In many cases, they had a second look taken and the work needed was misrepresented.

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 02:17 PM

Oh yeah, it happens for sure. Just thank them for the assessment and say you’re only there for your free oil change if they come back with a laundry list of stuff.

Some stuff might be legit, like flushing your coolant or having your differential oil checked out.

How old is your vehicle, and what is it, if you don’t mind me asking? Maybe we can help narrow down some anticipated maintenance for you.

Know it all.

#373 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:29 PM

I would avoid Canadian Tire if you can. I find the BCAA auto service on Bay street is very good, and no upselling.

You don't have to be a BCAA member, but if you are, you can get some discounts.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:13 PM

Even for an oil change, that’s free?
  • vortoozo likes this

Know it all.

#375 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:56 PM

No, oil changes are not free if you are a BCAA member, but there are some discounts. I'm not a member, I just like going there due to the no upselling.

#376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:58 PM

Oh yeah, I mean avoiding Canadian Tire for a free oil change. That should be alright, no?

Know it all.

#377 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

Oh yeah, it happens for sure. Just thank them for the assessment and say you’re only there for your free oil change if they come back with a laundry list of stuff.

Some stuff might be legit, like flushing your coolant or having your differential oil checked out.

How old is your vehicle, and what is it, if you don’t mind me asking? Maybe we can help narrow down some anticipated maintenance for you.

It's a 2016. I've been following the maintenance schedule fairly religiously from the manual, so I don't expect any extra work needs to be done. Oil changes used to be reasonable at the dealer, but they're $145 now. Plus it's a lot further from home & they only work bankers hours.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#378 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 05:18 PM

Oh yeah. Then you should be good. If they try to upsell you on something just brush it off.
  • vortoozo likes this

Know it all.

#379 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 05:37 PM

Had to get something fixed on my dodge Omni way back, crappy tire gave me a small bit of money back for the scrap value (which I thought was weird) but the service writer added an extra zero. Ended up paying me more than I paid for the car. So yes, I’d say go for it.
  • vortoozo likes this

#380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

Are we talking about a vehicle here, or?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users