Canadian Tire stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#321 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

I was in there the other day. Spoke with the story security guy (that I know socially)  who told me things about the store security systems that I have a hard time believing.

He said that they have the control room where they can watch all the security cameras and follow a person throughout the store.....that part is  normal

the next part seems odd and I don't even know if it is legal but he said if you are carrying a cell phone that can get your phone ID number and follow you through the store by following your phone. I said that's crap and that its probably illegal and called BS on him. he then said well we cant do all of that but if a suspected thief escapes that can give the cops the info from the person phone which would make it easy to find the person later at home or wherever

If this is true how can a business be allowed to pry into a customer's privacy like that

#322 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

First the chinese navy now canadian tire.. :squint: come to think of it the last product I bought from ct was made in china.

#323 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

How Retail Stores Track You Using Your Smartphone (and How to Stop It)

When you walk into a brick and mortar retail store like a Nordstrom, Cabela, or even Family Dollar, you're being tracked around the store. Not by an over-suspicious security guard, but by the store's wireless network, using your phone's Wi-Fi. The store then uses your phone to track you around the store, determine if you're a repeat visitor, see what departments you visit, and more. Here's how they do it, and how to stop them.

The New York Times broke the story earlier this week that a number of retail stores are either experimenting with or actively using technology that uses your phone's Wi-Fi to track your movements around the store. We're not talking about location within a few meters either—we're talking about exact location.

Nordstrom, the store that the New York Times focuses on in its piece (although it's not the only one doing this) installed sensors around some of its stores that would scan for smartphones with Wi-Fi turned on and scanning for networks. The sensors would then make note of the device's MAC address (an address that's unique to your phone) and use it to identify and follow the device as it moves about the store. Information about how frequently that MAC address visits the store, which departments it visits when it's in the store, how long it stays in each department, and how long it stays in the store. Granted, you are not your phone's MAC address, but if you carry your phone with you all the time, you may as well be. ................

.....So there are benefits and drawbacks. As with any technology, it could be used to help you score a bargain or get the best price on something, or to reward your loyalty for shopping at your favorite stores. ..............

............http://lifehacker.co...e-and-827512308

They should be able to use Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi to track.

http://www.libelium....hone-detection/

Edited by todd, 05 January 2017 - 08:13 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#324 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Tonight I was in a CT and was looking for a particular product.. as per usual there was no one in the store. I looked it up on their app and it it found it, told me the stock and what aisle to find it in.

• Nparker likes this

#325 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yeah... when you walk into a store, you give up your right to privacy. Everything about you is recorded, observed and scrutinized. You are on and in someone else's property, and a right to privacy is neither to be assumed or guranteed.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#326 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

They should be able to use Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi to track.

http://www.libelium....hone-detection/

One of the reasons I rarely use WiFi and Bluetooth.

Tonight I was in a CT and was looking for a particular product.. as per usual there was no one in the store. I looked it up on their app and it it found it, told me the stock and what aisle to find it in.

Obviously not the Hillside store.  They're still not listed on Canadian Tire's website.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#327 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

Yeah... when you walk into a store, you give up your right to privacy. Everything about you is recorded, observed and scrutinized. You are on and in someone else's property, and a right to privacy is neither to be assumed or guranteed.

Well they better call the police before they do the cavity search.

#328 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

One of the reasons I rarely use WiFi and Bluetooth.

Obviously not the Hillside store. They're still not listed on Canadian Tire's website.

Huh? Hillside store was updated fine on the website when I posted way back on Dec 2. Maybe refresh?!

#329 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

download (1)ff.png

download (60).png

http://www.canadiantire.ca

#330 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

Electric snow shovel :)

Attached Images

• ct.JPG

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#331 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hmm.  Using a different browser it shows Hillside. 

If their webmaster can't force the map to refresh the data on redraw...

• todd likes this

#332 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Electric snow shovel :)

Good price and you may need it tonight, one in stock, they're open 7 more minutes it looks like.

Edited by todd, 05 January 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#333 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

I pay strata fees so that someone can shovel it for me :)

Although often that someone ends up being me :(

• Nparker and rjag like this

#334 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

I pay strata fees so that someone can shovel it for me :)

Although often that someone ends up being me :(

Excellent charge it to the strata.

• sebberry likes this

#335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Excellent charge it to the strata.

Like the taxpayer, who do you think pays the strata costs?

• sebberry likes this

#336 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

the next part seems odd and I don't even know if it is legal but he said if you are carrying a cell phone that can get your phone ID number and follow you through the store by following your phone. I said that's crap and that its probably illegal and called BS on him. he then said well we cant do all of that but if a suspected thief escapes that can give the cops the info from the person phone which would make it easy to find the person later at home or wherever

If this is true how can a business be allowed to pry into a customer's privacy like that

This is how the ZenReach wifi marketing system works. They ship a router that simply tracks your MAC address. I think some devices use a random MAC address generator but yes, it's totally possible to track your phone this way. It's not even expensive.

Matt.

#337 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Glad i rarely use wifi and its default on my phone is Off

• Nparker likes this

#338 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Just destroy the cell.

#339 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

I would assume they are also likely tracking around the outside perimeter of the building potentially out onto nearby public and private spaces. 

The newer iPhones now randomize mac address to make tracking more difficult, but they can still follow your signal but won't know if it's the same person as last time. You can also spoof your Mac address on other devices.

..Most new vehicles now have a Bluetooth signal.

Lots of potential applications not just theft prevention and marketing, say a thief wants to know if you are home.

Edited by todd, 06 January 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#340 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Shoplift something, you will get help right away.

• Layne French likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users