Canadian Tire stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#61 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Is there any reason to believe Canadian Tire will split the Hillside space up and make the upstairs a Marks?

Certainly don't see why not. They should just buy the whole mall then though!

#62 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

Alternatively, Victoria could boast the largest Canadian Tire in Canada (though other Target locations being taken over could be as large or larger).

I was up in Vernon over the holidays and the Target location there that is being remodeled into a Canadian Tire had signage boasting that it would become British Columbia's largest Canadian Tire.

• lanforod likes this

#63 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I wonder if they are going to compete directly with Sears at Hillside for a garden centre, and where would that centre go, as some needs to be outdoors...

#64 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

I was up in Vernon over the holidays and the Target location there that is being remodeled into a Canadian Tire had signage boasting that it would become British Columbia's largest Canadian Tire.

Odd. That one is just 103000 sq ft according to http://infotel.ca/ne...-spring/it21916

#65 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Odd. That one is just 103000 sq ft according to http://infotel.ca/ne...-spring/it21916

I thought that too. Maybe it's one of those "largest until the next one is done" type scenarios. They were pretty far along in construction, so likely to open pre-Victoria. Or just your classic wool over the eyes marketing situation haha

• lanforod likes this

#66 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

The move to and the opening  of the Douglas Street Canadian Tire to  Hillside Mall in the previous Target Store has been delayed about 1 year.. The earliest will be January 2017 but may not be until March.

The reason is that Canadian Tire Corporation have requirements for all of their buildings from paint to the type of flooring to lighting.

There is an issue at the Hillside Mall location which require the complete upper floor to be upgraded and rebuilt.

Canadian Tire requires the floor to be able to able to hold 250lbs per sq ft but currently it is only rated at 100 lbs per sq ft.

This will require major reconstruction including upgrading the footings on the ground floor.

• 57WestHills likes this

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Construction of the Hillside Target store - May 2013

P1020844.jpg

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

The move to and the opening  of the Douglas Street Canadian Tire to  Hillside Mall in the previous Target Store has been delayed about 1 year.. The earliest will be January 2017 but may not be until March.

The reason is that Canadian Tire Corporation have requirements for all of their buildings from paint to the type of flooring to lighting.

There is an issue at the Hillside Mall location which require the complete upper floor to be upgraded and rebuilt.

Canadian Tire requires the floor to be able to able to hold 250lbs per sq ft but currently it is only rated at 100 lbs per sq ft.

This will require major reconstruction including upgrading the footings on the ground floor.

So even with the new load, a 300-pound person standing on one foot could fall through.    :banana:

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

So even with the new load, a 300-pound person standing on one foot could fall through.    :banana:

Only if he has square feet. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#70 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

I agree, those second floor I-beams look pretty skimpy. :badpc:

#71 Wally

Wally
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

I agree, those second floor I-beams look pretty skimpy. :badpc:

I seem to recall a discussion during the Target build about the soil conditions in that location and limitations on loading.

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

I seem to recall a discussion during the Target build about the soil conditions in that location and limitations on loading.

Bowker Creek ran through there.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#73 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

Is that why Target was always empty then? Of inventory. Well Canadian Tire is the opposite. They always have 6 times more inventory than is logical. You can't walk in those bloody stores. I guess all that weight adds up.

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

Is that why Target was always empty then? Of inventory. Well Canadian Tire is the opposite. They always have 6 times more inventory than is logical. You can't walk in those bloody stores. I guess all that weight adds up.

When I was a kid they were pretty famous for not having their sale items in stock though.  Sadly, this was 25+ years ago.   :mad:

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

lol so true.

I always get a chuckle when I go to the Douglas St location and glance at the shopping carts. Yeah right, I'm going to try to navigate a shopping cart around that place...

#76 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

Maybe that's why you can't find anyone working there except for the auto parts people and the cashiers trapped at their work stations.

#77 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

lol so true.

I always get a chuckle when I go to the Douglas St location and glance at the shopping carts. Yeah right, I'm going to try to navigate a shopping cart around that place...

Who orders their stock?  They have a supply of snow shovels and salt up at the front, and summer's just around the corner.

#78 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

I think that Wally was saying that the CT folks might be in for a surprise if they want to try and increase the load capacity of the second floor!

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

I think that Wally was saying that the CT folks might be in for a surprise if they want to try and increase the load capacity of the second floor!

Never mind, just knock the building down if it's that unsafe, as the word is already out that the floor won't support customers being in there.

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

lol so true.

That's what gives it the warm canadian feel however

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users