• jonny likes this

#84 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

I hope they found a turnstile supplier.

I don't know why they have those silly things.  I feel like I'm cattle when squeezing through those. 

• Rob Randall, Nparker and nagel like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

No kidding eh. Odd.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

I don't know why they have those silly things.  I feel like I'm cattle when squeezing through those. 

In fact I'd be lying if I said I hadn't occasionally made sheep or cow noises walking through them.... 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#87 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

lol

I always go through the shopping cart flap. Makes me feel like a real anarchist.

• Nparker and nagel like this

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

^probably the new entrance for auto parts.

Bicycle tires entrance.

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

In fact I'd be lying if I said I hadn't occasionally made sheep or cow noises walking through them.... 

They pre-date the whole passive electronic security tag system, but they still like them.  I'm thinking A & B Sounds was the first to use those tags locally.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

CT isn't totally a waste of time especially if you establish a relationship with someone knowledgeable in certain areas. The Service manager for the Automotive department at Admirals location is excellent. Follows up, ensures the customer experience is what it should be, takes time to explain exactly what the problem is, was uniformaly excellent when my wife took her truck in for service and a new battery some months back.

OTOH while waiting there this morning while they changed the oil on my Explorer I decided to hang about for the hour rather than taking off and having to come back by bus 60 minutes later; so I wandered over to my favorite area, the fishing gear, with nary a floor person in sight. Naturally. They were all in Automotive and at the cashier stations :).

I flagged someone down with a question specifically about their spin cast rods and although she gamely attempted to assist pretty clearly her knowledge of fishing was equivalent to my understanding of needlepoint. I wanted to know if they stocked an 8' spin rod made by manufacturer "x" so she dutifully went to the back to look for said rod and did emerge with one - except it was a mooching rod. I patiently explained what I wanted was a spin cast set up and showed her the display floor models. Off she went again - this time returning with a fly rod. Ugh. Third time wasn't much better although this time at least it was the correct supplier however, alas, it was in fact a trolling rod. I also had a question about a particular spin reel but figured that was a completely lost cause, therefore as it was almost time to pick up my vehicle so I mumbled a thank you and wandered back to the automotive customer lounge and watched CNN until it was ready. Entirely too bad because their fishing section is actually quite decent for a general retailer, but what is the point if its not staffed with a resource who knows something about - you know - fishing?

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

CT isn't totally a waste of time especially if you establish a relationship with someone knowledgeable in certain areas. The Service manager for the Automotive department at Admirals location is excellent. Follows up, ensures the customer experience is what it should be, takes time to explain exactly what the problem is, was uniformaly excellent when my wife took her truck in for service and a new battery some months back.

OTOH while waiting there this morning while they changed the oil on my Explorer I decided to hang about for the hour rather than taking off and having to come back by bus 60 minutes later; so I wandered over to my favorite area, the fishing gear, with nary a floor person in sight. Naturally. They were all in Automotive and at the cashier stations :).

I flagged someone down with a question specifically about their spin cast rods and although she gamely attempted to assist pretty clearly her knowledge of fishing was equivalent to my understanding of needlepoint. I wanted to know if they stocked an 8' spin rod made by manufacturer "x" so she dutifully went to the back to look for said rod and did emerge with one - except it was a mooching rod. I patiently explained what I wanted was a spin cast set up and showed her the display floor models. Off she went again - this time returning with a fly rod. Ugh. Third time wasn't much better although this time at least it was the correct supplier however, alas, it was in fact a trolling rod. I also had a question about a particular spin reel but figured that was a completely lost cause, therefore as it was almost time to pick up my vehicle so I mumbled a thank you and wandered back to the automotive customer lounge and watched CNN until it was ready. Entirely too bad because their fishing section is actually quite decent for a general retailer, but what is the point if its not staffed with a resource who knows something about - you know - fishing?

That's pretty funny!

When I was a kid I worked at Capital Iron, and had to man the fishing/marine department occasionally.  I admit I know nothing.

I liked the guys at the parts counter at my CT when I was a kid.  Also, it was super-pre-internet, and I liked/marveled at how they could find which store the part was at, if it was not at mine.  They'd then call and hold it.  Never an issue, and the core/casings trade-in was more than fair I thought.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#92 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

That's pretty funny!

When I was a kid I worked at Capital Iron, and had to man the fishing/marine department occasionally.  I admit I know nothing.

I liked the guys at the parts counter at my CT when I was a kid.  Also, it was super-pre-internet, and I liked/marveled at how they could find which store the part was at, if it was not at mine.  They'd then call and hold it.  Never an issue, and the casings trade-in was more than fair I thought.

Ditto: I worked at Woodward's starting at age 18 in "Sporting Goods" which also incorporated a huge fishing section. Really what is a wet behind the ears teenager going to tell some guy who's been fishing the Cowichan estuary for 50 years?? In my personal experience the short answer was and is "nothing". And in those days Woodward's attracted an older demographic so those "old" fishing salts were pretty much encountered daily, customers who'd forgotten more about angling than I certainly knew at the time.

So I both empathized and sympathized with the gal this morning; that said its on CT to ensure appropriate staffing and with the applicable skills/knowledge. There is after all a good reason you don't see House or Kitchen ware people assisting at the Auto Service center....

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

So I both empathized and sympathized with the gal this morning; that said its on CT to ensure appropriate staffing and with the applicable skills/knowledge. There is after all a good reason you don't see House or Kitchen ware people assisting at the Auto Service center....

True.  You know, further to the auto-parts counter guys.  When I was younger, I thought that would not be a bad job.  Might still be OK.  I know at the dealerships the guys make OK money.  And talk about not having to take any stress home with you every night.  

Counterperson:  Hi, how can I help?

Customer:  I'm looking for a master brake cylinder for a '87 Corolla...

Counterperson (looking up the microfiche):  Is that the GT, or standard model?

Customer:  standard

Counterperson (tapping the part # into computer):  Yup, we've got one here, it's $56.25

Customer:  OK, I'll take it.

Buzzing of dot-matrix printer - Complete the transaction -

Counterperson:  Who's next? 

Repeat until 4:30pm, work M-F.  Go fishing with Canadian Tire fishing gear every weekend.

• AllseeingEye and Bingo like this

#94 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

lol

I always go through the shopping cart flap. Makes me feel like a real anarchist.

I tried that once and it was locked.  Made me feel like a real twit.

#95 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

They're low.  Try hurdling next time.

#96 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

What is taking so long to get started?

20160404_071431.jpg

• Mike K., sebberry and todd like this

#97 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Lots of ceiling tiles to remove?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#98 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

So this Hillside location won't have auto repair bays?

#99 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

What is taking so long to get started?

They haven't even opened their doors yet and the service is terrible.

#100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

They haven't even opened their doors yet and the service is terrible.

It comes with the building.

• Matt R. and todd like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users