Photo

Rising Sea Levels

• Please log in to reply
1357 replies to this topic

#221 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:43 AM

too many people on the eastern seaboard. Fulcrum effect, sinking there, raising on the west coast. Makes sense.  :teacher:  :banana:

Hey, you joke, but this is serious.  Remember when Rep. Hank Johnson, during congressional hearings warned that Guam could tip over if more military facilities were built there.  (Of course Hank is the second dumbest congressman in the House.  Maxine Watters takes first place.  So there’s that.)

• lanforod likes this

#222 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:36 AM

No one can say what WILL happen, only what they think will happen. Predictions are not fact.

If you increase temperature of a kettle of water to 100C, do you predict the water “may” boil or it “will” boil. Same goes for increasing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere - heat waves will be longer, more extreme , and more frequent.

#223 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:42 AM

This isn’t a kettle. But that’s not bad marketing.
  • Nparker likes this

#224 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:44 AM

Earth is not a tea kettle. There are numerous factors that affect our climate and have been changing it (hotter and colder) for the past 4.5 billion years.

• JimV likes this

#225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:46 AM

If you increase temperature of a kettle of water to 100C, do you predict the water “may” boil or it “will” boil. Same goes for increasing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere - heat waves will be longer, more extreme , and more frequent.

Trick question.  Depends on the altitude.  If you are at significant altitude it might be all gone by 100 degrees.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 11:46 AM.

#226 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:56 AM

Trick question.  Depends on the altitude.  If you are at significant altitude it might be all gone by 100 degrees.

oooh. Good one. Also is there salt in the water? 

#227 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:46 PM

Earth is not a tea kettle. There are numerous factors that affect our climate and have been changing it (hotter and colder) for the past 4.5 billion years.

Have truth but you gotta finish the thought.

At the same rate as it has been now?  I'm not so sure about that.  Humans are a big factor here....

Climate Change: Global Temperature | NOAA Climate.gov

• From 1900 to 1980 a new temperature record was set on average every 13.5 years; from 1981–2019, a new record was set every 3 years.

Edited by Ismo07, 22 June 2022 - 12:50 PM.

#228 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

It's OK, those selling the disease also have the cure!

climeworks-troubleshooting-earth-7750.jp

https://www.weforum....achine-iceland/

#229 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:23 PM

Have truth but you gotta finish the thought.

At the same rate as it has been now?  I'm not so sure about that.  Humans are a big factor here....

10,000 years ago there was a glacier about three blocks from where my house stands now.  What melted it, native campfires?

And then there was the medieval warming period when Greenland was actually green.  Climate turned cold again till the Roman warming era, when vineyards flourished in Britain.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Little Ice Age during the reign of Elizabeth I, when the Thames froze over.

Apparently pesky humans have been messing with climate for a long time.  (Hmm, during the Jurassic and subsequent eras the earth was largely tropical and atmospheric CO2 levels were about 6,000ppm as opposed to about 420ppm now.  Must have been all those dinosaur farts.)

• Nparker likes this

#230 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:33 PM

10,000 years ago there was a glacier about three blocks from where my house stands now.  What melted it, native campfires?

And then there was the medieval warming period when Greenland was actually green.  Climate turned cold again till the Roman warming era, when vineyards flourished in Britain.

Oh, and let’s not forget the Little Ice Age during the reign of Elizabeth I, when the Thames froze over.

Apparently pesky humans have been messing with climate for a long time.  (Hmm, during the Jurassic and subsequent eras the earth was largely tropical and atmospheric CO2 levels were about 6,000ppm as opposed to about 420ppm now.  Must have been all those dinosaur farts.)

I don't think it was 6,000ppm during the dinosaur age, but global temperatures were higher and sea level was higher.  I don't think you want to go to back to that and render vast swaths of currently inhabited land uninhabitable...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#231 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:37 PM

Sorry guys, I was just pulling your chain. Any fool knows that climate scientists are a bunch of hucksters.

• dasmo likes this

#232 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:44 PM

Sorry guys, I was just pulling your chain. Any fool knows that climate scientists are a bunch of hucksters.

:bow:   :banana:  :bow:

#233 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:47 PM

It's OK, those selling the disease also have the cure!

https://www.weforum....achine-iceland/

Pretty cool but only matches the carbon output of 870 cars a year?  Can that be right?  Seems like a big expense, like more than 870 cars.

#234 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:51 PM

The rate of change Jim.  We all understand that it's been hot and cold before, this isn't the issue.   What was the avg temp 1000 years ago 3 blocks from your house?  100 years ago?  40 years ago?  10 years ago....?  Things are accelerating...  That's all we are talking about.  You have the same half argument as NParker, which is why he liked your comment.  :)  I'm not overly concerned, but it's easy to see the rate has changed very quickly...  Once we are all gone, the earth will correct and there will be another glacier there...  

• Earth’s temperature has risen by 0.14° F (0.08° C) per decade since 1880, and the rate of warming over the past 40 years is more than twice that: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade since 1981.

Edited by Ismo07, 22 June 2022 - 01:53 PM.

#235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:57 PM

I like the net benefit of the warming.

#236 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:47 PM

9x1kGDN.jpeg

#237 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:49 PM

So it's climate change causing the sea level to rise.... except in Tofino. That is the earth rising due to natural cycles.... 

• Ismo07 likes this

#238 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:54 PM

Pretty cool but only matches the carbon output of 870 cars a year?  Can that be right?  Seems like a big expense, like more than 870 cars.

That's ok, the carbon tax will pay for them to build thousands of these factories in the Amazon jungle after they clear the land. 

#239 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:57 PM

The rate of change Jim.  We all understand that it's been hot and cold before, this isn't the issue.   What was the avg temp 1000 years ago 3 blocks from your house?  100 years ago?  40 years ago?  10 years ago....?  Things are accelerating...  That's all we are talking about.  You have the same half argument as NParker, which is why he liked your comment.  :)  I'm not overly concerned, but it's easy to see the rate has changed very quickly...  Once we are all gone, the earth will correct and there will be another glacier there...  

• Earth’s temperature has risen by 0.14° F (0.08° C) per decade since 1880, and the rate of warming over the past 40 years is more than twice that: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade since 1981.

Rate of change is a bogus argument.  There is no “normal” rate of change.  Vast variations have occurred in atmospheric carbon and temperatures both in historic times and over the past several hundred million years.  That is because of all the climate drivers the concentration of a trace gas, CO2, is one of the least significant.  That is completely obvious from the historical data.  Plucking out a little segment of the timeline, as you have done, is completely meaningless.

#240 Lashlarue

Lashlarue
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:40 PM

Rather than rising sea levels, this is dropping lake levels. These guys do a Lake Mead update every week or so, going out on the water. Pretty crazy stuff:

https://youtu.be/NCBG_aVkv4s

Water level is already too low for most of the boat launches, formerly waterfront resort properties are hundred plus feet from the water now, water is below 2 of the intake towers, list goes on

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)