Rising Sea Levels

• Please log in to reply
1362 replies to this topic

#521 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,321 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 06:58 AM

“It’s long overdue,” Victoria Coun. Dave Thompson said of the Zero Carbon standard.

The capital city and its neighbour Saanich have been waiting for the standard so their own expedited zero-carbon building mandates could come into effect. While both communities will require all new builds to be emissions-free by 2025, Victoria could be moving the dial even sooner.

Thompson is part of a councillor contingent poised to propose that the city require new homes and smaller residential buildings to be zero carbon by this fall, while buildings four storeys and up, plus commercial ones, would have to start meeting that standard in the second half of 2024 if the faster timeline is adopted.

“It’s a climate emergency and our view is that we need to be taking action accordingly,” Thompson said. “I do think the province should look at accelerating it across the board.”

https://www.vicnews....-new-buildings/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2023 - 06:58 AM.

#522 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:09 AM

#climatemadness

#523 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,619 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:35 AM

The affordability crisis is observable. The climate crisis is not.
This cult is not to be laughed off.
The next step in this “progress” is renovations. Then existing buildings. Etc.

The added cost to building is a lot. Trust me. I was building to a net zero standard but couldn’t do it. It wasn’t only cost. It would have also meant cutting down all the trees. But cost wise I would say my house cost at least 25% more than a regular build and It would not meet net zero. I estimate that would have added another $75k minimum. No trees, triple pane windows, even more insulation, plus a PV array.

Plus there is the added embodied energy to building like this. Compare the costs of triple pane windows all in to single pane windows of old. From manufacturing to shipping to installation. Most notably is that the old single pane windows were repairable. Triple pane are not.
  • Barrrister likes this

#524 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:52 AM

The more that state mandates increase the costs to build privately owned residences, the greater "need" there will be for government owned homes. Doing away with private property ownership, with the exception of the ultra rich, is the goal.

• Barrrister likes this

#525 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,619 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:23 AM

“You will own nothing and be happy.”
The Davonians don’t hide their plans…

Edited by dasmo, 03 April 2023 - 08:23 AM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#526 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:30 AM

The unspoken part of that message is that the Davosians will own everything.

• Barrrister likes this

#527 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,619 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:13 AM

It doesn’t say “We”…
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#528 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,321 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:50 AM

https://www.farmzone...end/sb042/table

screenshot-www.farmzone.com-2023.04.27-10_49_22.png

#529 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:56 AM

My favourite weather.

#530 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,646 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

Sigh...yes, ahem...gardening weather.....new topsoil, crushed rock, hanging flower baskets and covering plants. Guess I won't be fishing this weekend per She who must be Obeyed :)

• Barrrister likes this

#531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:48 AM

Maybe it’s time for a new wife?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,899 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:49 AM

Or at the very least, a less demanding mistress.

#533 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,646 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:01 AM

Maybe it’s time for a new wife?

Nah she's a good girl. I actually enjoy the exercise and transforming the front and back yards into a blaze of colors and new plants after months of winter blah, damp and rain. One huge positive about a Saskatchewan girl - they can't imagine life without a truck so we use hers to haul the dirt and rock :)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:04 PM

How many husbands does she have, for you all to get to use her truck to haul dirt?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#535 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,646 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:17 PM

Just me as far as I know; she drives the truck and picks up the dirt and rock - my job is to empty it when she pulls into the driveway......

• Mike K. likes this

#536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,660 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:24 PM

Very good!

Know it all.

#537 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,321 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 01:29 PM

Climate change making incoming B.C. heat up to 5 times more likely: scientists

With temperature records set to fall across B.C., a climate scientist says people across the region should get used to off-season extreme weather.

BC summer heat expected to raise tourist economy by 5x.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2023 - 01:29 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#538 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,123 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 10:40 PM

Wasn’t the record for may set in 1983? What did we call it then? Just “hot”? I think we just called it hot when I was a kid and made popsicles and ran in the sprinkler.
  • Barrrister likes this

#539 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,123 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 10:42 PM

A scene from todays weather horror show. People in the ferry line up were so scared that they were sitting in lawn chairs, enjoying cold beverages, I think a couple groups even had a soccer ball!

The horror!IMG_3182.jpeg
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#540 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,321 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 02:10 AM

Although officials are sending plenty of heat-related health warnings, the temperatures won’t trigger the need for cooling centres or misting stations in municipalities across the province.

“The trigger for activating that is 29 degrees or above during the daytime, or overnight temperatures 16 degrees and above,” said Tanya Seal-Jones, the city of Victoria’s emergency program coordinator.

Seal-Jones says the cooling stations were not well attended years, so they won’t be putting them in place, instead working with malls and other public indoor spaces where people can cool off.

Misting stations on the other hand will be becoming semi-permanent.

“Our public works and engineering department are building these. They’re aluminum towers that will be bolted to the ground across the city in each neighbourhood,” said Seal-Jones who says a grant is paying for their construction. “we are going to put them up as soon as they’re finished being built, which should be the first week of June and they’ll stay up for the heat season, so all summer long.”

Seal-Jones says there will be a total of 13 misting stations with a push button for the mister and a water bottle filling station.

“We could put them up earlier next year because we’ll own them, they’re just not ready quite yet,” said Seal-Jones.

https://www.cheknews...atwave-1152266/

screenshot-weather.gc.ca-2023.05.14-06_11_23.png

https://weather.gc.c...5_metric_e.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2023 - 02:12 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users