Photo

Rising Sea Levels

• Please log in to reply
1357 replies to this topic

#161 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:36 AM

Climate "science" has become more dogma than fact. As far as I am concerned, it's just another religion, and I treat it accordingly.

• dasmo and max.bravo like this

#162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:39 AM

Always something.

Now it has been ratcheted up so high, the fear machine, that we need people monitoring youth who could be exhibiting tendencies towards suicide because they’ve lost all hope for a productive future.

Lots of profit in treating depression.

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:50 AM

Lots of profit all around, I agree.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:51 AM

Oh yes, the hole in the ozone layer! I forgot about that one. The Greenhouse Effect was a common issue being taught in schools, too.

I’m telling you, the peak oil stuff terrified kids. It’s like you’re in school, and the documentary, put on by your teacher (someone you trust), is telling you prospects for humanity are grim? What are you supposed to think as a fifth grader? That can really mess a kid up.

My grade 10 English teacher had us watch Koyaanisqatsi. Some of you probably know the teacher I am referring to. :)

#165 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:03 AM

You guys had it easy, they had us literally squatting under our school desk waiting for Russian nucs to obliterate Toronto.

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:44 AM

Well we had earthquake drills, same thing.

Back in the 90s all Hudson Mack talked about was “the big one.”
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#167 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:08 PM

We were watching the clock for the Y2K bug to wipe us all out.

#168 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 01:20 PM

Didn’t we fix the ozone layer problem?

Yes, we did - it was/is called the Montreal Protocol https://en.wikipedia...ntreal_Protocol

So succesful at doing its job that we based the Kyoto Protocol about CO2 on it, yet for some reason, the same type of people who were the beneficiaries of increased CFC production - and lined up against it: "The chair of the board of DuPont was quoted as saying that ozone depletion theory is "a science fiction tale...a load of rubbish...utter nonsense"" are, in turn lined up against any mention of reducing CO2 emissions..

• Matt R. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#169 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:43 PM

Received this in an e-mail

>>> You want Zero Carbon? Shut down Planet Earth!! The biggest Carbon Producer of all!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> We worry about the millions of tons of CO2 we are putting into the atmosphere. Multiply that by a huge number and that’s what planet earth sends up and down every day of every year. If we want Zero Carbon then at least recoBMgnize that planet earth is the biggest producer of all.
>>>
>>>
>>> There is minimal media coverage of the life giving cycle of photosynthesis by which CO2 allows plants and vegetation and trees to live and grow. Without it there would be no life on the planet.
>>>
>>>
>>> Most people don’t realize that “Zero Carbon” means only eliminating man’s contribution to total carbon uptake and are unaware of how little that is compared to total carbon in the atmosphere. Our contribution is about 2%.
>>>
>>>
>>> Couple that with another fact the media and the funded scientists don’t want you to know: Of all the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (trapping the reflected heat from the earth’s surface) they are in no hurry to advertise what the proportion or mix is, including mankind’s contribution.
>>> It’s 97% water vapour and about 2% CO2. (There are other gases).
>>>
>>>
>>> The main reason you are unlikely to know about this is not because water vapour isn’t overwhelmingly the major greenhouse gas influence on planetary temperature, but because no proportion of it is man-made. Study of its effects does not produce any suggestion that global warming is our fault. So it is not a fashionable subject attracting funding.
>>>
>>>
>>> How is it that tinkering with 2% of a trace greenhouse gas, the sum total of which is only 2% of the greenhouse gases up there trapping the heat, will somehow control the temperature of the earth?
>>>
>>>
>>> Here is a tiny hint from reputable science that climate change is not our fault: The Royal Society supports the orthodox view that human CO2 emissions are the dominant cause of current global warming. But here is an extract from the Royal Society paper on sea level rise:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sea level in the last interglacial (warm) period around 125,000 years ago peaked at probably 5 to 10 meters above the present level. During this period, the polar regions were warmer than they are today. This suggests that, over millennia, long periods of increased warmth will lead to very significant loss of parts of the Greenland and Antarctic Ice Sheets and to consequent sea level rise.
>>>
>>> Given their (rare) acknowledgment that elevated temperature and massively elevated sea levels (5 to 10 meters) preceded the Industrial Age, and their concession that there were “long periods of increased warmth over millennia”, do they not owe us an explanation for (a) why they say current warming must be man-made? and (b) why current rate of sea level rise (average 2mm annually) has not changed significantly since before the beginning of the Industrial Age?
>>> Indeed they do, but the answers to those questions might not fit the orthodoxy, so , as with the Inquisition’s response to Copernican theory, they are sidelined or ignored and no explanation is forthcoming.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#170 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:20 AM

Another inconvenient little factino:  a recent study conducted in India finds that each 1 part per million added to the atmosphere (current total is about 440 ppm) increases world wheat yields by about 370 million tons.

#171 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:56 AM

I haven't looked recently but how is Al Gore doing with his predictions in his propaganda opus, An Inconvenient Truth? 

#172 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 08:08 AM

Adam Stirling has done some research into Old Growth logging protestors. Through their own admission, they claim the protests are designed to instigate aggression towards them, have it filmed, and use it for promotion. They admit the old growth demands are just a ruse/stepping stone, with a final goal actually being "regime change."

Check it out here: https://twitter.com/...lWz1NZC2kgimMXQ

And here: https://twitter.com/...lWz1NZC2kgimMXQ

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#173 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 04:40 PM

Adam Stirling has done some research into Old Growth logging protestors. Through their own admission, they claim the protests are designed to instigate aggression towards them, have it filmed, and use it for promotion.

I think we should accommodate them in their desire.  Recent events on the Malahat and the Iron Workers Bridge suggests that many commuters agree.  Their “promotion” will do nothing but alienate more of the public.

BTW, why haven’t we invoked the Emergency Act, seized their bank accounts and held them without bail?

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 04:53 PM

...why haven’t we invoked the Emergency Act, seized their bank accounts and held them without bail?

I asked this same question yesterday, in a different thread. I guess blocking some roads is less of an emergency than others.

#175 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 05:47 PM

I haven't looked recently but how is Al Gore doing with his predictions in his propaganda opus, An Inconvenient Truth? 

He made about $100M. Has a private jet now and flies all over the world telling everyone how irresponsible they are.

Edited by spanky123, 21 April 2022 - 05:47 PM.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#176 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 April 2022 - 09:27 AM

Lots of profit all around, I agree.

The old saying "beware of Prophets seeking profits" 

• Mike K. and dasmo like this

#177 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 09:28 AM

The old saying "beware of Prophets seeking profits" 

That is the saying of the decade. 

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 05:37 AM

During a panel discussion Friday night, Maher reiterated his stance on how he could never cast a vote for a Republican since the party "doesn't believe in the emergency of climate change or democracy."

"Elon Musk this week — I'm a big fan in many ways, but when he says, ‘Now I’m going to vote Republican,' I've got to part company there. C'mon, Elon," Maher exclaimed. "I can't go there with him because of what I just said, because of where the big issues are, but it's troubling to me that a guy like that who said, 'I voted mostly Democrat for the longest time and now I'm switching.' I mean, I'm not going to say is a stupid man... So the fact that he can be taken over by the Republicans, what does that tell you about the Democrats? What do they have to do to stop that from happening?"

https://www.foxnews....n-company-there

Last week while talking to Mike Tyson on his new podcast, Maher says he refuses to fly on general commercial airlines.  He takes private jets only. 

Maher admits to never flying commercial

Maher responded to Tyson, admitting he never chooses to fly on commercial flights.

He told Tyson: “I have not flown commercial practically in this century. And I used to hide it because I thought, ‘Oh it makes me look terrible with the environment'”.

“The kids. They have to care more about the environment than me, cause it’s their planet their inheriting”, the host continued.

Maher went on to joke that if Kylie Jenner gives up flying private, he will do the same. The host also criticised younger generations for idolising celebrities who ditch the commercial option, despite championing climate change activism.

https://lastnighton....ivate-jets-now/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 May 2022 - 05:40 AM.

#179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 07:29 AM

^that's why Musk is voting Republican.

And chances are, you’re not going to get a straight answer about Republican policy from a Democrat, like in our case here, Maher laments Republican policy on climate change but flies private jets exclusively. As does the climate czar ketchup man.

Really, the two party system is sad, since it has to be such a big tent in either side. It’s not like it’s different in Canada but the illusion of choice is there, at least.

Know it all.

#180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 07:34 AM

...the two party system is sad, since it has to be such a big tent in either side. It’s not like it’s different in Canada but the illusion of choice is there, at least.

At least FPTP voting has some meaning in the US. In Canada, it often means more people vote against the "winner" than for them. I am not sure that's democracy at its best either.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users