Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:31 AM

Same, but for soup.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, it’s bonkers how expensive heating with hydro is. We used some baseboard heat over Christmas when things got really cold and over that week the bill jumped $50, and that was with setting the baseboards at 15 during the day, and a wood stove going all day and into the late night. Crazy.

So the baseboards were just a backup, and still cost that much. Imagine heating your home exclusively with hydro.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:33 AM

I use my hot tub water for making hot drinks like tea and coffee.  So it's already half way warmed when it gets to the kettle...

And has the added bonus of giving your hot drinks a nice chlorine aftertaste that is lacking in so many beverages these days.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

Doesn’t tap water have chlorine?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:35 AM

Short of setting a controlled blaze somewhere in my condo, I have little choice but to keep warm with electricity.

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:36 AM

Doesn’t tap water have chlorine?

Not in the same quantities as a hot tub, plus I filter all my drinking water.

#127 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:41 AM

Not in the same quantities as a hot tub, plus I filter all my drinking water.

I filter my hot tub water so it's 99.99% pure.  And I use no chemicals.  I've been telling all the guys at the Legion all about it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 February 2022 - 10:42 AM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#128 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 11:21 AM

And has the added bonus of giving your hot drinks a nice chlorine aftertaste that is lacking in so many beverages these days.

Bromine.

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 11:26 AM

Bromine.

Much better as a mixer in cocktails.

• Matt R. likes this

#130 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, it’s bonkers how expensive heating with hydro is. We used some baseboard heat over Christmas when things got really cold and over that week the bill jumped $50, and that was with setting the baseboards at 15 during the day, and a wood stove going all day and into the late night. Crazy.

So the baseboards were just a backup, and still cost that much. Imagine heating your home exclusively with hydro.

Just completed my first two months of use here in Colwood Corners. Bill was $298- I have been used to buildings with heat included, so this was quite the shocker. Someone please tell me something is wrong with Hydro!?! I mean it was the first reading ever for this unit, so...

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 February 2022 - 03:26 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#131 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:41 PM

lol, $298 is in range for the coldest two month period of the year.

It’ll be much less during the summer.

#132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:41 PM

Just completed my first two months of use here in Colwood Corners. Bill was $298...

My most recent 2 month Hydro bill to heat and power my 2 bedroom, 900 square foot, 27-year-old condo was $168. It was about half that amount for 2 months in the summer.

#133 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:44 PM

I think soon they will go after wood burning stoves and fireplaces, then not much choice for heat but hydro.

the problem isn't people burning properly seasoned wood and in well maintained wood stoves.  It's the people burning unseasoned wood.

The house down the street is burning unseasoned wood and some days, can barely breathe outside. 

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:44 PM

Just completed my first two months of use here in Colwood Corners. Bill was $298- I have been used to buildings with heat included, so this was quite the shocker. Someone please tell me something is wrong with Hydro!?! I mean it was the first reading ever for this unit, so...

It's going to vary for everyone, but you can really see how much heat apartments can draw if you're not careful. It's easy to forget an open window while the heat is on, and it'll continue to suck power 24/hours a day, day by day, until that first bill acts as a reminder.

Know it all.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:46 PM

I think soon they will go after wood burning stoves and fireplaces, then not much choice for heat but hydro.

the problem isn't people burning properly seasoned wood and in well maintained wood stoves.  It's the people burning unseasoned wood.

The house down the street is burning unseasoned wood and some days, can barely breathe outside. 

Yes, that could be it, or they're dampening it way, way too early, or it's a combination of both of those things.

I think people should have to take a mandatory course to learn how to use wood stoves, and how to maintain them. A lot of people have no clue whatsoever.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#136 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 05:45 PM

Our local FD does a class every year in the fall to remind people, it’s very helpful and probably reduces their calls.

I see lots of smoky chimneys here, people not burning hot enough before closing the airflow, or burning poor quality wood out of necessity. We bought a couple pallets of the BioBurn bricks this year for tenants as well as retail, they burn nice and hot but for some reason don’t seem to burn completely.

That reminds me, it’s almost time for the annual garbage fires to start.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 05:49 PM

Tons of blame has to be placed on the wood suppliers. It’s an unregulated industry and they too often supply wood not fit to burn, as dry and ready to burn.

Best thing you can do is order your wood in winter (now!) to burn next fall through winter.

Know it all.

#138 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 07:23 PM

I heat with coal and save a fortune.

• Mike K., rjag and Matt R. like this

#139 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:13 PM

Tons of blame has to be placed on the wood suppliers. It’s an unregulated industry and they too often supply wood not fit to burn, as dry and ready to burn.

Best thing you can do is order your wood in winter (now!) to burn next fall through winter.

So many, too many, get to January and run out of wood, hoping they will find dry, seasoned firewood. You might get lucky, but probably not, which is why we bought the fire bricks. Good value, no splitting, easy to stack, but I think I’ll stick to regular fir and arbutus for the house. We buy in the next month or so, ready for this summer and next.
  • Mike K. likes this

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 01:39 PM

Climate change report a grim warning for Canada

Global warming is already costing Canada billions of dollars

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the report did not look at any positive effects.

"The costs of climate change impacts have been rising in Canada since 1983, from an average of about $0.4 billion to $1.9 billion annually," says a briefing document prepared from the report.

We have a $45 billion per year tourism economy.  If we have three extra weeks of summer every year, would that be an extra $5-10 billion annually? 

Canadians spend billions of dollars per year to heat our homes ($3000-$5000 per household every year), offices and other workplaces, places of leisure and schools.  We could save enormous sums with a bit of natural warming.

Any way you slice it, Canadians will be better off with some warming.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2022 - 01:40 PM.

• rjag and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users