223 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

So is she backtracking?

From The Star:

May acknowledged she drank wine at her table before taking the stage — and that it may have had an impact on her performance — but insisted she wasn’t drunk. “I didn’t have a lot of wine,” she said, “but it may have hit me harder than I thought it would.”

http://www.thestar.c...ner-speech.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

You be the judge.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UpOE59SinhE

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

She said on CFAX "...I don't think I drank too much."

So she was drinking, and if she was as sick, tired and sleep deprived as she said she was then even a little bit of alcohol could have hit her pretty hard. Wine in particular.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

She says, "The rant ends here" one minute into a nine minute speech. I don't think I can watch the whole thing. It's too painful.

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

C'mon Rob, the ending is where the rubber meets the sky. :)

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

54108400.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

C'mon Rob, the ending is where the rubber meets the sky. :)

I saw cell phone video of the ending yesterday. That's when the Minister of Transport (irony alert!) moved her from the podium off to a safe landing offstage. It's the middle part that is going to be difficult.

#28 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Paul Calandra is much funnier without even one drink.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#29 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

A perfect representative for Saanich Gulf Islands if there ever was one.

• SamCB, jonny and Daveyboy like this

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

I saw cell phone video of the ending yesterday. That's when the Minister of Transport (irony alert!) moved her from the podium off to a safe landing offstage. It's the middle part that is going to be difficult.

I guess you can look at this another way.  If we can elect one more Green this election, there will be someone to pull her off stage much earlier than Raitt did.

That was brutal.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

A perfect representative for Saanich Gulf Islands if there ever was one.

I'm still going to vote for her.  :cheers:

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Sometimes world leaders ought not to make time for these silly receptions.  How about we mostly have serious leaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiMs165tVdw

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

If you have a job with a great deal of responsibility you need to pace your drinking in a way that will not impact your job. I learned this from watching M*A*S*H.

A leader also has to maintain control and clear thought regardless of fatigue and sleep deprivation. Recall that Obama performed at the White House Correspondent's Dinner while planning the bin Laden raid.

Still, I give her a pass. It doesn't appear to be symptoms of a long-term problem and her refusal to heckle in parliament has been refreshing.

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 May 2015 - 04:14 PM.

• gumgum likes this

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Still, I give her a pass. It doesn't appear to be symptoms of a long-term problem and her refusal to heckle in parliament has been refreshing.

Yes, I think it is a non-issue this time around.

Peirre Trudeau had the "fuddle duddle" affair in 1971, and went on to a continued and colourful career in politics.

The fuddle duddle incident in Canadian political history occurred on February 16, 1971 when Prime Minister of Canada Pierre Elliott Trudeau was alleged to have spoken or at least mouthed unparliamentary language in the House of Commons, causing a minor scandal. Trudeau mentioned the words "fuddle duddle" in an ambiguous answer to questions about what he may or may not have said in Parliament.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Fuddle_duddle

http://en.wikipedia..../Pierre_Trudeau

#35 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Gotta agree with the drunk being the best explanation for her. Not sure why people think that claiming not to be drunk is a good strategy. If you were drunk you made a bad decision but you have an out. If you weren't drunk you have no excuse.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

She said fu*& less than a minute into the speech.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRBoLZ6ZV8

Know it all.

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

^^What the hell is wrong with that word anyway.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

^^What the hell is wrong with that word anyway.

Nothing really.  But it's only said in close quarters with close friends.  You NEVER say it in public.  if you say it in public, you have lost control.

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

She couldn't have been thinking clearly.  She said she was coming down from the flu and was sleep deprived after travelling lots. 

Yeah, those first class flights are brutal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users