• 1,997 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

... Back to 132.9 this afternoon.

#1322 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

^So, an unexplained one-day spike - up by 8 cents, then down by 9.

W.T.F.?

#1323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

It’s a tactic to sell gasoline at a premium during a high demand period (before one of the last summer weekends). And driving around last afternoon I saw MANY vehicles lines up at these stations. Meanwhile down the road stations with 1329 were empty. People panic, see the price has spiked and immediately fill up not realizing it’s just a dig by some stations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:06 AM

The rack is 83.70 today.

Prices range from $1.279 at Costco to $1.419 at the Esso on Carey at Ravine.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1325 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

82.10 rack price in Vancouver. Filled up for $1.309 last night, and the spread this morning in Richmond is $1.389 to $1.469

#1326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

So it goes to show that even with Vancouver's higher gas taxes, stations are still willing to go as low as $1.309 at 82.10 in Vancouver. Do we know what Costco was offering when you filled up at $1.309?

Know it all.

#1327 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

So it goes to show that even with Vancouver's higher gas taxes, stations are still willing to go as low as $1.309 at 82.10 in Vancouver. Do we know what Costco was offering when you filled up at $1.309?

Yup and they have a higher translink tax which could imply Victoria price margins are higher

#1328 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

Richmond Costco doesn't have gas (yet), so no idea. No gas at the Burnaby, Vancouver, or Surrey locations either. The closest would be in Port Coquitlam or Langley, so not a good comparison. FWIW, current price in PoCo is $1.349 at Costco and $1.419 at Chevron (according to GasBuddy) 

Yup and they have a higher translink tax which could imply Victoria price margins are higher

Translink fuel tax is 18.5c/L, BC Transit tax in Victoria is 5.5c/L

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#1329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

Some stations are pushing as high as 1.449 today. The rack price is 85.3, meaning the wholesale price gained 1.6 cents but stations are charging as much as 13 cents more than the previous day (they were priced 1.319 yesterday). The wholesale increase is expected ahead of a busy long weekend and very busy travel period as people prepare for the start of the school year, but a 13 cent rise is another example of gouging.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#1330 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

I love you guys--when it's skyrocketing CEO compensation or record shareholder profits while wages stagnate you're all, "Market forces, my friend" but the local mom and pop gas station puts the price up five cents and all of a sudden you're an outraged Bernie Sanders. "unacceptable price gouging!"

• SimonH likes this

#1331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:11 AM

Huh?

Know it all.

#1332 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Some stations are pushing as high as 1.449 today. The rack price is 85.3, meaning the wholesale price gained 1.6 cents but stations are charging as much as 13 cents more than the previous day (they were priced 1.319 yesterday). The wholesale increase is expected ahead of a busy long weekend and very busy travel period as people prepare for the start of the school year, but a 13 cent rise is another example of gouging.

Glad I tanked up yesterday, then. :)

There's an issue with the pricing model, to be sure; but the much bigger issue is that (other than Costco, which not everyone has access to) all these in-theory-competing companies raise their prices in lockstep, to the same level as each other, every time.

#1333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

Costco has dropped its price to $1.269, still making a profit at a rack rate of $0.853.

The reason I'm obsessing over these rack rates and the lowest prices at local pumps is to create a baseline for what it costs a station to acquire gasoline and what their mark-up can be should they choose to price that low. If I hadn't of known about the rack rates I would have rushed out and bought gas at the first station I saw at $1.3x, seeing $1.449 popping up. But today I know that's just a ruse and that there's no need to panic.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#1334 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

The rack has jumped to 89.2 today. One station (the Esso near Mayfair) is priced at $1.479.

Now we’re starting to see pre-long weekend price jumps. This is standard to ensure fuel supply chains can keep up, believe it or not, as there will be so many cars on the roads at the butt-end of summer.

Know it all.

#1335 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

If anyone is looking for the rack prices Mike is talking about, her is a link from Petro-Canada for National Rack Prices, including Vancouver and Nanaimo

https://www.petro-ca...ess/rack-prices

#1336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

And just to reiterate “Nanaimo” would be our local rack rate. Rates pertain to the locations of the big oil storage depots across the country which then supply their regions.

Know it all.

#1337 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

Don't the majority of Victoria gas stations get their supply from the Chemainus terminal?

It's a Shell property, so its rate is here (Bare Point...showing at 89.1): https://www.shell.ca...ck-pricing.html

Edited by shoeflack, 29 August 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#1338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

They both supply the south Island but I can’t speak for the split. The rack price is typically only marginally different.

Know it all.

#1339 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

I don't think many people realize that the two largest terminals on Vancouver Island are in the Cowichan Valley (Shell's property at Bare Point in Chemainus being the largest, and Chevron's terminal on Arbutus Ridge in Cobble Hill being second largest). Imperial Oil and Suncor's terminals Nanaimo are a drop in the bucket in terms of capacity compared to those two.

Maybe if people knew more widely that every single tanker truck that feeds Victoria pumps has to cross the Malahat, there'd be a bit more support to properly build that route.

• rjag likes this

#1340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

Oh I suspect they do, but that’s not enough of a concern for the Malahat to be properly built out.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users