Photo

Barge incident - August 28th 2015

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

...This is not in the Gorge Waterway as it is being reported. It is in the Upper Harbour....The Gorge waterway doesn't officially start until one passes the Selkirk Trestle

Oh please. 99% of locals consider this area the Gorge. If I had been told this incident had happened in the "Upper Harbour" I would have assumed it was south of the Bay Street Bridge (or is it the Point Ellice Bridge?) but north of the JSB (which will really be mis-named when the new bridge connects almost directly with Pandora, not Johnson).  :squint: 

Someone needs to update Wikipedia as well:

The Upper Harbour extends north from the Johnson Street Bridge to the Point Ellice Bridge (also known as the Bay Street Bridge). The small area of water in the northeast of the Upper Harbour is known as "Rock Bay".[7][47] Adjacent to the Rock Bay body of water is the Rock Bay neighbourhood. 

Edited by Nparker, 29 August 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#22 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Wikipedia is not Gospel it is written by the average Bloke who wants to write his interpreation of the subject.

Please dont believe everything you read on wikipedia

#23 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

When in doubt, look at the references that Wikipedia articles are based on, such as this one:

http://apps.gov.bc.c...ames/25709.html

#24 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

Here is the official description

The Gorge Waterway is from the Craigflower Bridge to the Selkirk Trestle which is in the Selkirk waters of the Upper Harbour

99% of people know this

https://www.crd.bc.c.../gorge-waterway

The Barge is in the Upper Harbour

Case Closed

Edited by HB, 29 August 2015 - 11:35 AM.

• Benezet likes this

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Wikipedia is not Gospel it is written by the average Bloke who wants to write his interpretation of the subject. Please don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia

I certainly don't. What I am suggesting is that in POPULAR vernacular the area north of the Bay Street Bridge is not considered the upper harbour. In order to make the story as meaningful as possible to as many people as possible the popular term was used. Call it journalistic poetic license if you will. 

ps: The Gospels are not gospel either; they're open to plenty of interpretation  ;) 

#26 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

REALLY?!? Our harbour is facing an environmental event and we are fighting about Gorge or Upper Harbour? It really doesn't matter!
  • Daveyboy likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#27 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

I am not sure that it is such an environmental event Sid that is causoing any distress to the water.

Environment BC has written it off as not a pollution causing event because eh cars have been stripped of all potential environmental spill hazard such as fluids batteries and other liquids

Seem like just a recovery event of a few car bodies.

More contaminated oily water flows into the surrounding water from storm outfalls located in hundred of sites inluding all along the gorge water way an dteh inner and upper harbours

There is a large sunken vessel under the marina behind ValueVillage and no one is worried about that and its visible at low tide

Doesnt seem to be too much concern about a few auto carcasses in teh water more concern about righting this barge so tha tthe barge itself doesnt sink in the shallow water

#28 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

^You'd argue a blind man that the sky's not blue wouldn't you? Just for the sake of having an argument.

Okay, I remove the environmental event part and call you on the no one really cares if it Upper Harbour, Gorge, or for that matter Taiwan.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 29 August 2015 - 01:32 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

Actually I care global BC last night at 1pm had Ann Drew announce that the barge tipped and dumped cars into Victorias inner harbour when in fact it was in the upper harbour

Any person across this country watching that broadcast who may be from victoria or visited it in the past would visualize the barge tipping in front if the legislature building
My point and remark was that they should report accurate news and give a m9re accurate geographic area

#30 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

The foreshore of island view beach and the causeway out to the Fisguard lighthouse both have hundreds of cars buried in each location as fill and no oil has ever been seen leaching into the water on those locationFisguard because they were all drained before being brought there from various junk yard in langford

#31 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

It makes me think of the Mt Polly dam breach
People down stream had a difficult time accepting the Ministry of Environment test results that showed no water pollution downstream
Sometimes things appear worse than they are and the barge may be an example of that

#32 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Just had a customer tell me that they have a very large crane on site, lifting cars off the tilted barge. Anyone able to get photos of that? I'm stuck at work but only blocks away. Curious to know what kind of crane and whether they had to bring it in?

#33 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Here is the official description

The Gorge Waterway is from the Craigflower Bridge to the Selkirk Trestle which is in the Selkirk waters of the Upper Harbour

99% of people know this

https://www.crd.bc.c.../gorge-waterway

The Barge is in the Upper Harbour

Case Closed

HB, while you are correct that the Seaspan barge is not in the Gorge Waters, it is also not in the Upper Harbour, it is in Selkirk Water.  The Vancouver news media may have decided to use a more broad, although technically incorrect, description of the area the barge was in.  If they had said Selkirk Water, I think most people would not have had a clue as to where that is.  It also doesn't help that everyone's goto map, Google Maps, only lists TWO of the harbour's five sections regardless of zoom - Upper Harbour and Gorge Waters.

If we assume the government's GeoBC website is the definitive word on the subject, here are the five sections of Victoria Harbour with a map I made outlining the sections with dual color labels for clarity.  BTW, they use Chapman Point as the start of the Gorge, not the Trestle Bridge as the CRD does.  Do locals even know where Chapman Point is?  Again, Google Maps is no help so certainly the Trestle Bridge is an easier landmark.   As a relative newcomer to Victoria I've always been confused about the various harbour sections and where they begin/end and so this discussion has been educational.  :teacher:

http://apps.gov.bc.c...es/25709.html 

Victoria Harbour is comprised of Inner Harbour, Upper Harbour, Selkirk Water, Gorge Waters and Portage Inlet. The Inner Harbour is entered between Shoal Point & Colville Island and extends northeast to the Johnson Street Bridge; the Upper Harbour extends north from the Johnson Street Bridge to Point Ellis Bridge; Selkirk Water extends northwest from Point Ellis Bridge to Chapman Point; Gorge Waters extends northwest from Chapman Point to Maple Point/Craigflower Bridge; Portage Inlet extends north of Craigflower Bridge.

20960474256_bbdf969d2b_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#34 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

Just had a customer tell me that they have a very large crane on site, lifting cars off the tilted barge. Anyone able to get photos of that? I'm stuck at work but only blocks away. Curious to know what kind of crane and whether they had to bring it in?

See post #19 above.  The Salish Sea is the RALMAX barge crane that is now onsite to save the day.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the map Gary.This helps make sense of things for me,  :thumbsup:

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

The barge is not listing anymore

#37 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

the one in the Gorge?

• Matt R., sdwright.vic, Redd42 and 1 other like this

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

Harbour Characteristics

For the purpose of this traffic scheme, the Port of Victoria may be considered in four parts:

• the OUTER HARBOUR extending from the breakwater to Shoal Point,
  • the * MIDDLE HARBOUR extending from Shoal Point to Laurel Point,
  • the INNER HARBOUR extending from Laurel Point to the Johnson Street Bridge, and
  • the UPPER HARBOUR extending north of the Johnson Street Bridge.

Transport Canada

https://www.tc.gc.ca...arine-1521.html

#39 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

Born and breeded here.  I've never heard those terms used.  I don't care what transport Canada calls it.  The inner harbour stops at the JSB and after that it's the Gorge waterway.  

Also nobody was less surprised than me that this happened.  Biking past here every day I get to see how ridiculous the loading process for that barge is.  Usually one end of the barge is about 2 inches off the water.

Edited by nagel, 29 August 2015 - 10:02 PM.

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

^ Actually the stretch of waterway you are referring to is named Victoria Arm.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users