Photo

Barge incident - August 28th 2015

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#61 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

By the way, where do they barge the scrap to ?

Tacoma

That makes sense.  There is no way a barge loaded like that is heading out into open waters.  

#62 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

http://www.schnitzer...ew=Detail&ID=40

Looks like there was a fire there recently.

http://www.thenewstr...le26478955.html

#63 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

And this in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbHIc_u7i-I

#64 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

That makes sense.  There is no way a barge loaded like that is heading out into open waters.  

Open waters happens to be right off our Dallas Road waterfront, and it can get rough enough to sink an overloaded tipsy prune barge.

#65 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Open waters happens to be right off our Dallas Road waterfront, and it can get rough enough to sink an overloaded tipsy prune barge.

That isn't open water at all compared to off the Oregon coast. Open water is past Tatoosh Island.

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

That isn't open water at all compared to off the Oregon coast. Open water is past Tatoosh Island.

That is debatable in the context of a barge that tipped over in calm waters with no wind.

It wouldn't have taken much to capsize it off Dallas Road if the conditions are right.

There have been accounts of barges going down in Georgia Straights, not to mention sailboats coming to grief in Juan De Fuca Straits.

I don't think you will find many barges like the one in question venturing past Tatoosh.

• todd likes this

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Granted. However, taking this whole conversation in context, open water was referring to shipping them to Oregon.

#68 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

I am trying to imagine a scenario when the tipping point came about.

I think the height of the barge was nearing it's maximum load when the heavy excavator moved over the centre line towards the north side of the barge.

The barge tipped to the north and about 100 car bodies fell of the barge from what became the low side.

Now that there is many tons of weight missing on that side of the barge, it tipped in the opposite direction towards the heavy side, and that is where it stayed.

I don't know if that is how it happened, but there must have been witnesses.

Below is the photo showing the north side of the barge with rows of cars missing.

IMG_9354.jpg

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Granted. However, taking this whole conversation in context, open water was referring to shipping them to Oregon.

A previous post says Tacoma, which is in Washington State.

#70 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

A previous post says Tacoma, which is in Washington State.

Read further back :1954_dancing:.

Edit:

nevermind! Benezet edited it out... the first reply to where was 'Oregon'...; which puts jklymak's comment into proper perspective :).

Edited by lanforod, 31 August 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#71 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Edit:

nevermind! Benezet edited it out... the first reply to where was 'Oregon'...; which puts jklymak's comment into proper perspective :).

Sorry, thought it would reduce confusion to remove non-factual stuff. Tacoma is, of course, what my ship-spotter friend said so many years ago. I would have asked him, but he has since died.

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Edit:

nevermind!  Benezet edited it out... the first reply to where was 'Oregon'...; which puts jklymak's comment into proper perspective :).

Try this instead...it's in Tacoma.

http://www.schnitzer...ew=Detail&ID=40

#73 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

I am trying to imagine a scenario when the tipping point came about.

I think the height of the barge was nearing it's maximum load when the heavy excavator moved over the centre line towards the north side of the barge.

The barge tipped to the north and about 100 car bodies fell of the barge from what became the low side.

Now that there is many tons of weight missing on that side of the barge, it tipped in the opposite direction towards the heavy side, and that is where it stayed.

I don't know if that is how it happened, but there must have been witnesses.

Below is the photo showing the north side of the barge with rows of cars missing.

IMG_9354.jpg

That sounds right - the excavator did it.

BTW, they've moved the Salish Sea crane and RALMAX barge to the JSB project to dismantle the yellow crane.

Edited by Gary H, 31 August 2015 - 06:21 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

They shouldn't have let the prunes ferment.

• Bingo likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtqBlkOI1KE

#76 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Yes, I was referring to taking such a barge to Oregon, which would be impossible given the swell any time of year. Tacoma could get dicey, but pretty safe 8 months of the year.  

#77 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Remember the height has to clear the Bay Bridge, although when I lived at Dockside Green I remember watching those barges approaching the bridge and from my vantage point they always "appeared" to be playing chicken with the height.

However, on close inspection of the small pic in post 626 above, in does appear that there might be a couple of extra layers of height in the failed barge compared to the pic of a successfully stacked barge below (from a couple of years ago).

8560137427_99d2370164_h.jpg

tc.png

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.../details/371179

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

http://www.cfax1070....-Tues-Sept-1-15
Frank Stanford comment Tues Sept 1, '15

I agree with Councillor Marianne Alto, in principle, that Victoria ought to retain its working harbour.

The city actively prides itself on the fact it has not allowed all the waterfront property to be gobbled up by developers for the purpose of building high priced condos...so that condo dwellers have nothing to look at over the water except each other. 

Some movement; some marine vitality, is a good thing.

But I'm not sure that a stack of wrecked car bodies qualifies.   If it looks like a dump and sounds like a dump and smells like a dump...you know.  I may be wrong, but I suspect the post card picture of crushed auto hulks is not the hottest seller in Victoria souvenir shops. 

Maybe it's a commentary on our society generally, when one of the city's most visible industries is all about what we're throwing away, rather than what we're producing. 

This is Frank Stanford

• Rob Randall, Nparker, Gary H and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#79 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Scrap metal is the granddaddy of recyclables, and barging it from within a city is about as efficient as it gets. And, properties with industrial zoning pay a heck of a lot of municipal tax. Let's hope the scrap heap doesn't become a "special place" with whacky landscape architecture along a footpath through a forest of condos, instead of something truly beneficial.

Edited by Benezet, 01 September 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• Matt R. and jonny like this

#80 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

It's a glorified bottle depot.  They don't "directly recycle" anything, they just hold it until it gets shipped elsewhere for actual processing.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users