Photo

Saanich Fair

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

Due to that nasty rabbit virus there will be no rabbits at the Saanich Fair this year. In fact, the whole rabbit showing hobby has virtually collapsed as exhibitions are cancelled because nobody wants to travel with rabbits and risk spreading the virus. There is a vaccine but using it makes the rabbit unusable for meat consumption. 

#62 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

Steam engine in fine form at the threshing show

IMG_9587.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

Edited by Bingo, 02 September 2018 - 05:06 AM.

#63 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

Threshing?

Also, I see 54-40 is playing this year. Sad I have to miss it, again.

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger and Bingo like this

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

Great photos, Bingo!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

We've been going to the fair every year for ages, 35 years or so at least. Sunday I have never seen it so busy. Yes we had to wait extra time to get into and out of the parking area but they did have flag people at the four-way stop at Stelly's and Wallace, people directing traffic in and out of the parking area, and flag person directing us at the exit out towards Brentwood Bay. It was tolerable.

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

It's been a while since I've been out there. I was shocked at the development along Stellys next to the fairground--the gas station and all the rental townhomes.

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

It's been a while since I've been out there. I was shocked at the development along Stellys next to the fairground--the gas station and all the rental townhomes.

I thought all that was in the ALR.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

And there’s far more coming down the pipes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

The signage said Tsawout reserve.

#70 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:46 AM

Indeed it most definitely is in the ALR.

Enquiring minds would wonder how gas stations and development get built on an ALR property?

#71 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:51 AM

The signage said Tsawout reserve.

Ahhh, yes, the CRD land title map shows that corner sticking out into the Fairgrounds is Tsartlip land (although it still shows as ALR land within the reserve ... although obviously following an entirely different set of rules from regular ALR land).

Edited by Cassidy, 03 September 2018 - 07:52 AM.

#72 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

Ahhh, yes, the CRD land title map shows that corner sticking out into the Fairgrounds is Tsartlip land (although it still shows as ALR land within the reserve ... although obviously following an entirely different set of rules from regular ALR land).

At bottom left.

20180903_084808.jpg

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

Sorry, the sign I saw yesterday may have said Tsartlip, not Tsawout. Both nations live in Central Saanich.

Here it is: The Meadows, managed by Devon Properties.

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 September 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

There’s lots more coming. Check this: https://victoria.cit...t-construction/

Know it all.

#75 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

Reserve land, they can build what they want. I am sure that it is needed and affordable rental accommodation. My concern would be how it is maintained over the years.

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

It's boomer time at the Saanich Fair again this year.

The Saanich Fair is where rock n’ roll lives this Labour Day weekend. Take in the last hurrah of the summer with Canadian classic rock kings April Wine and Prism. The two serve up their greatest hits, making sure the hundreds of Fair-goers keep rocking into the night...

https://www.vicnews....t-saanich-fair/

For all I know these same two bands might have played at the first SF I attended back in 1978.

#77 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

they did not really have relatively big acts back then.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

they did not really have relatively big acts back then.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

#79 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:53 PM

Not sure I'd classify Prism as a 'classic rock king' act, Canadian or otherwise. Their sound always irritated the hell out of me.

I was a fan particularly of early pre-1977 April Wine, but then I got to see them in Montreal in their heyday when they drew huge crowds of......you know......really hot French chicks. It was a simple deal in Mon-real: you wanted to "parlez" with the mademoiselles then you damn well were a fan of Myles Goodwyn. And that cannon they unleashed on "Stand Back" was pretty cool..... :)

#80 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:20 AM

Western Canada’s longest continually running agricultural fair could be cancelled this year due to the pandemic, says the president of the society that stages the Saanich Fair.

A decision on whether the fair will go ahead in early September is expected at the May 13 board meeting of the North and South Saanich Agricultural Society.

https://www.timescol...lled-1.24127540

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users