PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#721 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

I don't understand the term "old Crystal Pool"?

Once the present old pool is replaced the old pool that preceded it will be called the former old pool but not until the new pool is built.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#722 P. North

P. North
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:32 AM

I swam there back in the late 80's

#723 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

I remember going there in the 80s....ironically I didn't go swimming but it was cool.  Too bad they couldn't have kept it going.  

#724 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:06 AM

^^ Welcome to VibrantVictoria P. North.

I learned to swim at that pool as a toddler. In grade 5 they used to bus us there from Coverdale School once a week for swimming class as well.

Good times.

#725 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

I learned to swim at that pool as a toddler. In grade 5 they used to bus us there from Coverdale School once a week for swimming class as well.
Good times.

Me too, although I'm still not a good swimmer. I remember the poorly draining change room where you had to stand in an inch of water to dressed, and the chlorine smell is still fresh in my memory.

• Matt R. likes this

#726 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hopefully just in the goldfish pond and not in the little creek in the jungle part. And also not during somebody's wedding.

• Bingo likes this

#727 P. North

P. North
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Hopefully just in the goldfish pond and not in the little creek in the jungle part. And also not during somebody's wedding.

No but the sauna and hot tub were nice

#728 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

The Federal government is adding money to the Crystal Pool project

http://www.victoria....l-gas-tax-.html

Can someone explain the $69.4 million dollar cost in terms of Pandora Street Bridge dollars?

#729 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

The Federal government is adding money to the Crystal Pool project

http://www.victoria....l-gas-tax-.html

Can someone explain the $69.4 million dollar cost in terms of Pandora Street Bridge dollars?

The approval from Federal Gas Tax Fund will provide up to $6 million towards the total project cost of $69.4 million. This contribution is conditional on the balance of the remaining funding being acquired within one year. In the event this condition is not met, the funding will be rescinded. The City of Victoria has already committed $10 million to the project and is actively seeking further funding through federal-provincial infrastructure programs, as well as other partners.

Long way to go.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

The Federal government is adding money to the Crystal Pool project...

Long way to go.

Agreed. $6 million isn't even going to cover the contingency on this project. This expenditure MUST be put to a vote of the CoV taxpayers.

#731 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Gas tax cash helps Victoria reach funding threshold for Crystal Pool

$69-million project won’t go to referendum if cost covered by three levels of government

A $6 million boost from the federal Gas Tax Fund has pushed the City of Victoria’s commitment to the 20 per cent level for funding the new Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre replacement project.

That means the City, which committed $10 million from its buildings and infrastructure reserve, meets the federal-provincial infrastructure funding formula of 40 per cent each from the province and federal government and 20 from the municipality. It also would allow the City to avoid a public referendum on borrowing the balance of funds for the $69.4-million project.

Mayor Lisa Helps said the gas tax cash approval is a good indication the project meets the desired outcomes for the federal government in terms of greenhouse gas emission reductions, improved community health, affordability and accessibility.

“I think it ticks the federal boxes very well, and I think the provincial government is very happy with it as well,” she said, noting that both B.C. Finance Minister Carole James and federal Infrastructure and Communities Minister Amarjeet Sohi made positive comments about the project.

https://www.saanichn...r-crystal-pool/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Threshold may have been met, but has there actually been any promise of 40/40 funding from the feds and province that would negate a CoV taxpayer referendum?

#733 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Caller on CFAX made a decent point today, City Parks guy had no idea how many parking stalls are at Oak Bay Rec Centre.  Caller said maybe as an expert he should have some idea.  

#734 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Lest we forget this project will cost

$69.4 million

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#735 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Lest we forget this project will cost $69.4 million

And that's before the Chinese Steel is factored in.  ;)  Seriously though, other than the $6 million in gas tax, has Ottawa or the Province promised the $50 million + needed to keep this from going to referendum?

#736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Nope.

• RFS likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#737 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

Not yet.

#738 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Any chance this will impact Lisa's dream of a no-referendum pool replacement?

Justin Trudeau’s government is punting some infrastructure spending in the short term...Tuesday’s budget...amounts to a swap -- dollars for roads and transit delayed in favor of new departmental spending...

https://www.bloomber...deficits-steady

#739 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Jeez. Morneau called this budget a 'fiscally responsible approach'? A 20 billion deficit is fiscally responsible? I'd hate to see what he thinks is irresponsible.

No, I don't think this would impact federally promised dollars, though I wouldn't expect that money to actually appear this year anyways.

#740 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

...No, I don't think this would impact federally promised dollars...

But no federal have been promised yet...right?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users