PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#741 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Jeez. Morneau called this budget a 'fiscally responsible approach'? A 20 billion deficit is fiscally responsible? I'd hate to see what he thinks is irresponsible.

No, I don't think this would impact federally promised dollars, though I wouldn't expect that money to actually appear this year an

Well the Libs said that they would run a deficit of $20B because of infrastructure spending. We still get the debt but now without the spending.

The pool is dead in its current form. Helps is going to need to consider the possibility of a partnership with the YMCA or reducing the scoop of what they are trying to accomplish.

• rjag likes this

#742 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Its pretty obvious to partner with the Y like Langford.....meanwhile Firehall #1 continues to be ignored

• Nparker likes this

#743 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

CUPE is not in favour.  Not gonna happen under this council.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#744 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

I think that Helps feels that she needs to get something done. That might outweigh CUPE

#745 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

The Canadian Union of Public Employees is a national organization of 650,000 members in over 2,300 locals. I was a delegate to the last National Convention representing my local and we did not debate, much less approve, a resolution opposing a replacement for the Crystal Pool or Federal funding of this project.

If you are going to slag our Union, at least be specific and accurate. What Local and what exactly are they opposing?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#746 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

The supposition being that CUPE would not be in favour of some sort of a CoV / YMCA partnership. I think that's a reasonable assumption, but I don't think Crystal Pool CUPE has ever been asked, nevermind answered the question. 

• tedward likes this

#747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

If you are going to slag our Union, at least be specific and accurate. What Local and what exactly are they opposing?

CUPE 50 opposes any threats to its membership size. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#748 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

http://www.timescolo...pool-1.23187230

• rjag likes this

#749 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

Do we really need two similar facilities in the central core, or does it make sense to join forces and build one outstanding facility? Successful ventures in Langford and many other cities between local municipalities and the YMCA have proven most popular.

Unfortunately, Victoria city council voted a few years ago to direct staff not to consider such partnerships. I can only assume that is because of the number of those on council who are beholden to organized labour and the desire to ensure staff are members of CUPE. Any argument that the YMCA would not compensate its staff fairly is not accurate.

I am not advocating against CUPE. However, council’s first priority should be the citizens of the city. Perhaps in the next election, some candidates will base their platform on looking at all options.

Paul Brown

Victoria

• Nparker likes this

#750 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

CUPE 50 Every labour union opposes any threats to its membership size. 

Fixed that for you.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#751 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

The YMCA and CoV combining forces makes too much sense to actually happen. 

• North Shore likes this

#752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well, now that union donations are out of the question...

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#753 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Well, now that union donations are out of the question...

Unions are still free to do their own issue based advertising though are they not?

#754 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

CUPE 50 opposes any threats to its membership size. 

Well, that is a supremely cynical way to phrase it. I prefer to think of it as (as someone else mentioned) ALL unions believe workers should be protected and supported by being members. :)

But anyway, what you meant to say is something like, "No, CUPE Local 50 has no objection to either a new Crystal Pool or Federal funds being contributed that I am aware of."

The rote union-hating commentary we will just take as read any time you post. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#755 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

Seems that even Crystal Pool is nicer, cleaner and cheaper than the YMCA. Why would I want them to run Crystal Pool? How about they pay the city a royalty to allow their members in instead.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#756 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

Seems that even Crystal Pool is nicer, cleaner and cheaper than the YMCA. Why would I want them to run Crystal Pool? How about they pay the city a royalty to allow their members in instead.

What?  Have you been to the new Westshore Aquatic Centre?  An entire family can join for $81 a month, which includes not only swimming and swimming lessons, but a fitness centre, weight area, yoga, personal trainer sessions, group classes, a teen centre, playcare  (daycare so adults can train/swim), children drop in programs etc.  What does Crystal Pool offer a family and for how much?

#757 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

^ pretty sure G-Man isn't talking about that one; it's out in the boonies.

#758 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

the trouble with the new westshore Y although the monthly fee is a great deal for a family(IF you would can take advantage of everything that is included in the membership) the drop in fees are crazy! a family drop in rate is about $24 (even the individual drop in rates are atleast double compared to the other pools in town), where a family drop rate in at the current crystal pool is about half that, just under $12 at crystal (along with all the other pools in town.. i think it ranges between $12-14 for a family at CRD pools)

#759 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

Yup the drop in fees are nearly double.

#760 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

Yup the drop in fees are nearly double.

I don't think that the Y's in general cater to a drop in crowd. If the City would permit a JV with the Y, I am sure that decent rates could be negotiated.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users