PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

Do we actually believe rates at a brand new $70 million+ facility run by the City will be equal to those of the current Crystal Pool?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#762 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

^It's an interesting question. Recreation fees in Victoria are set via municipal bylaw, and are revised once per year. They typically do not increase beyond the consumer price index. In other municipalities, I know that fees are not permitted to be increased beyond the CPI increase in any given year, but not sure what legislation Victoria has to follow in that regard.

From what I've seen in other municipalities, replacement municipal recreation facilities do not tend to have fees that are far higher than their predecessor. Typically, municipal facilities are tied down by what other facilities in the area are charging. So if the CoV jacks fees for the new Crystal Pool, I would expect that increase to be no more than 10-15% which would put them in line with what Saanich/Oak Bay/West Shore/Panorama charges at their recreation facilities. Right now we are in line only with Esquimalt. So we've been due for an increase anyways.

#763 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:59 PM

i would expect prices to go up but i would not expect them to skyrocket, they want to get people into the pool so it is often priced accordingly making it an affordable option for families(a family of 5 can have an outing at the pool for under $15)

i don't think this has been asked yet, but does anyone know if the city has any teams lined up that will base their operation out of the new pool? i know that's a huge part of commonwealth all the swim teams, swim meets and clubs that base out of that pool i would not be surprised if it's a fair chunk of it's revenue

#764 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

Do we actually believe rates at a brand new $70 million+ facility run by the City will be equal to those of the current Crystal Pool?

My bet is that the prices will be the same or even lower. The taxpayer funds it one way or another. No way that the City raises prices and then runs the risk of not hitting it target attendance figures.

The only way that the pool would get a team or club is if one moved. I don't see that happening. 

#765 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

More fuel for the never-ending debate re: the ideal length for a new aquatic centre's main pool: the large pool at Richmond's new Minoru centre will be just 25m. And for $80 million (largest public expenditure in Richmond's history). Kind of an odd configuration, they'll have an 8-lane 25m pool and a 6-lane 25m pool, but the pools will be side by side rather than connected.

#766 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

So what are they planning for the old pool site? Surface parking? I sure hope not.

map.jpg

pic from http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

Edit: yes, surface parking. That will look like ***. What a punch in the face to the neighbourhood.

Edited by aastra, 08 March 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

Not being built anytime soon, plans might change.  We'd be better off to widen Pembroke, make it one-way westbound, and have some angle parking, then it can be used best for the arena, the pool, and RAP.

Is it free parking currently at the pool?  We need to eliminate free parking, and meter it all. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 March 2018 - 11:26 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#768 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

Not being built anytime soon, plans might change.  We'd be better off to widen Pembroke, make it one-way westbound, and have some angle parking, then it can be used best for the arena, the pool, and RAP.

Is it free parking currently at the pool?  We need to eliminate free parking, and meter it all. 

Create a deterrent to using the new facility? Great idea!  :thumbsup:

• Midnightly likes this

#769 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Parking should be underground in a massive parking garage. The parking garage should be so big it would be big enough to help alleviate the downtown commuter parking problem and the parking issues associated with SOFMC. Surface parking at this location would be a disaster. 

So they plan to rip out the relatively new basketball court and playground? That doesn't sound very prudent. 

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#770 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

So what are they planning for the old pool site? Surface parking? I sure hope not.

Edit: yes, surface parking. That will look like ***...

No replacement for the amenities being removed??  :whyme:  :mad:

• aastra likes this

#771 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Methinks a new firehall (example: new Esquimalt firehall) and maybe some housing new courts/playground on the old pool site would be best, with a parkade (example: Jubilee hospital parkade) on the arena parking lot and a calmed & fully crosswalked intersection at Quadra and Pembroke.

Quadra-Pembroke-Hypothetical.jpg

Edited by aastra, 08 March 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#772 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Yup the drop in fees are nearly double.

If the city were so inclined to join forces with the Y, they would likely be in the position where they could negotiate hard with the Y on issues like drop in fees and monthly membership fees. 

#773 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Parking should be underground in a massive parking garage...Surface parking at this location would be a disaster...

Exactly. Don't repeat the mistake made at SOFMC by not including underground parking.

#774 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

For such an allegedly progressive Council, they sure aren't promoting anything innovative for this project.

#775 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Parking should be underground in a massive parking garage. The parking garage should be so big it would be big enough to help alleviate the downtown commuter parking problem and the parking issues associated with SOFMC. Surface parking at this location would be a disaster. 

So they plan to rip out the relatively new basketball court and playground? That doesn't sound very prudent. 

I wasn't advocating for surface parking. I completely agree that it should be underground parking. That would allow the city to subdivide the property and sell off the other 1/2 or 1/4. They could probably incentivize the purchaser to include some public amenity space and demolish the old pool.

• jonny likes this

#776 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

A mish-mashed bike lane network isn't progressive?

#777 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

If the city were so inclined to join forces with the Y, they would likely be in the position where they could negotiate hard with the Y on issues like drop in fees and monthly membership fees. 

FWIW, the H2O Centre in Kelowna (a partnership with the Y) has an $11 drop in rate for adults and $28 for families.

i would expect prices to go up but i would not expect them to skyrocket, they want to get people into the pool so it is often priced accordingly making it an affordable option for families(a family of 5 can have an outing at the pool for under $15)

i don't think this has been asked yet, but does anyone know if the city has any teams lined up that will base their operation out of the new pool? i know that's a huge part of commonwealth all the swim teams, swim meets and clubs that base out of that pool i would not be surprised if it's a fair chunk of it's revenue

The size of Commonwealth makes swim partnerships easy, and painless for the public. Not sure about the nature of H2O's partnerships, but usually there were only three lanes open to the public, the rest were being used for training, competition, or swimming lessons. Not a huge facility (the focus of the pool was more recreation than fitness), so scheduling was difficult I think.

#778 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

That would allow the city to subdivide the property and sell off the other 1/2 or 1/4. They could probably incentivize the purchaser to include some public amenity space and demolish the old pool.

This council NEVER takes that prudent money-saving route.  That was an option with excess bridge lands, they decided on more park.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#779 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

This council NEVER takes that prudent money-saving route.  That was an option with excess bridge lands, they decided on more park.

Are you suggesting the mayor is not being 100% honest in this statement?

...Mayor Lisa Helps said the strategy is an attempt to be proactive. “We want to figure out what the city’s needs are, whether it’s parks or affordable housing, or a new library or whatever it might be,” Helps said.“Also, what properties do we currently have that we might not need?”...

http://www.timescolo...eeds-1.23195001

#780 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Redeveloping the Crystal Pool site to include:

- Aquatic centre and fitness facility

- Large underground parking garage

- Replacement firehall #1

could free up the hideous RAP parking lot and FH#1 property for re purposing and possible sale. 

Where's the vision, City of Victoria? Think outside the box. 

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)