Photo

Remembrance Day in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#261 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:10 PM

We were at the Leg and could hear the guns in the distance. No idea where they were. 

#262 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:33 PM

City Hall isn't a Federal building.

it was the Cenotaph

#263 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:56 PM

I was in the IMAX at the time went to see the 11 o’clock showing of Antarctica they made us do the two minutes of silence before the showing with "lest we forget" and some poppies up on the screen.

Edited by todd, 12 November 2021 - 08:01 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#264 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:59 PM

^Made you do? You should be honoured to do that little bit.

• todd and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#265 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:04 PM

^Made you do? You should be honoured to do that little bit.

well they didn’t tell us they were going to do it and it wasn’t optional.

The IMAX is the ultimate showing of remembrance

I suppose it depends on if you believe in ceremonies

Edited by todd, 12 November 2021 - 08:34 PM.

#266 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:08 PM

Solid turnout for the Oak Bay Cenotaph this morning. I would estimate 4-500. Considering they advised people to stay away plus it was raining and quite cold it was heartening to see a solid contingent of Citizens turn out and pay respects. 

Bit confused about the flag, it was 1/2 mast at the beginning then was raised and lowered for the Last Post but remained down for Reveille and both National Anthems. I thought the 1/2 mast thing was done  Federal government to keep Canadian flags raised after Remembrance Day ceremonies (msn.com)

The times I’ve been never raised the flag, but did completely botch the opening of the Tea Party one year. Despite much practice prior and clearing my halyards it still managed to jam halfway up. very embarrassing

#267 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:15 PM

“LETTER: Oak Bay Tea Party guest had storied military career“: https://www.saanichn...ilitary-career/

#268 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:47 PM

Maybe you should have stayed home and watched some more Hogan’s Heroes.
  • todd likes this

#269 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 04:50 AM

Victoria

Legislative Cenotaph, B.C. Parliament Buildings, Cenotaph, East Lawns and Driveway, 501 Belleville St., 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Host: Legion Branch, Trafalgar/Pro Patria, 411 Gorge Rd. E.

Esquimalt

Memorial Park, 1200 Esquimalt Rd., The parade will begin at 10 a.m. at Admirals Road and Esquimalt Road and end at the Cenotaph in Memorial Park. Royal Canadian Navy, Cadets, Royal Canadian Legion, Scouts Canada and the Royal New Zealand Navy in attendance.

Saanich

Saanich Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Ave., 10:45 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.

Oak Bay

Oak Bay Cenotaph, 1200 Beach Dr., 10:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. In person or streamed online at oakbay.ca

Colwood

Royal Roads University, Italian Garden, 2005 Sooke Rd., 10:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m. Hosted by the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club, refreshments available following ceremony.

Langford

Veterans Memorial Park, Veterans Memorial Parkway at Goldstream Avenue, 10:30 a.m. March from Langford Legion Branch to Cenotaph, refreshments to follow at Masonic Lodge, 679 Goldstream Ave.

Sidney

Parade from Mary Winspear Centre at 10:25 a.m. along Beacon Avenue and Second Street to Cenotaph at Sidney Town Hall, 2440 Sidney Avenue. Service of Remembrance at 10:45 a.m. A CH-148 Cyclone will fly past the Sidney Cenotaph at 11:01.

Sooke

Parade from Evergreen Mall to Sooke Cenotaph, 10:35 a.m. Refreshments to follow at Sooke Legion, 6726 Eustace Rd.

Duncan

Duncan Cenotaph, Charles Hoey Park, 130 Canada Ave., 10:55 a.m.-1 p.m.

Nanaimo

Dallas Square Park Cenotaph, 85 Front St., 10:55 a.m.

Salt Spring Island

Salt Spring Island Cenotaph, 138 Fulford-Ganges Rd., 10:45 a.m.

Afghanistan Memorial Service. Ceremony will be at the Afghan Memorial, located at the corner of Quadra and Courtenay Streets, beginning at 9:45 a.m.

Animal Victims of War Ceremony at the rear fountain of the B.C. Legislature, 10:30-11:30 a.m. This location was chosen because of the wildlife statues that surround the fountain, with no proper memorial for animals in war existing in Victoria.

Other events

Remembrance Day at the Royal B.C. Museum, Victoria Children’s Choir performance, 12:30 p.m. at the Royal B.C. Museum, 675 Belleville St. Contact receptionist@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca, tel. 250-356-8096.

Madrigals of War and Love. Capriccio’s traditional Remembrance Day concert on Nov. 11, honours the sacrifices of those who have died in war, including the conflict in Ukraine. Christ Church Cathedral, 930 Burdett Ave. Tickets: $30, treasurer@capriccio.ca, 250-884-2434

https://www.timescol...nanaimo-6083996

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2022 - 04:51 AM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#270 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 06:02 PM

In 1921, Canada adopted the poppy as a symbol, one year after Britain. The original poppy was created by a French woman, Anna Guerin, who was inspired by the poem, "We Shall Keep the Faith". Today, there are many variations worldwide; attached is my collection of the Commonwealth poppies.  I've been fascinated by the different variations.
Poppy.png

Edited by Fox, 10 November 2022 - 06:02 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#271 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 07:36 PM

I see our PM is going to miss the remembrance day ceremonies.

More important things to do than honour our veterans.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 07:37 PM

What a piece of work.😠

Edited by Nparker, 10 November 2022 - 07:38 PM.

#273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 07:46 PM

That’s very cool, Fox!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#274 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 10:16 PM

I see our PM is going to miss the remembrance day ceremonies.

More important things to do than honour our veterans.

He’s got that Drag Show gig.

https://beta.ctvnews...144161.amp.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2022 - 10:17 PM.

#275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,316 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 01:08 PM

Veterans Affairs Canada has been overestimating the number of Canadian veterans for decades — and newly released census numbers suggest there may be 25 per cent fewer veterans than the federal government previously thought.

Statistics Canada and Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) are scrambling to reconcile the difference between their numbers, CBC News has learned.

According to the 2021 census, there are 461,240 veterans in Canada — a huge decline from the 617,800 former military members projected by VAC.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ensus-1.6647864

I’d say considering we lost those rocket launchers a few years ago. Not hard to lose track of a few thousand guys.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2022 - 01:09 PM.

#276 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,231 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 02:07 PM

NJDuBDF.jpeg

• Nparker and LJ like this

#277 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:06 AM

Fascinating how very occasionally events or actions from your past can assume center stage even if only very briefly in your present; over 35 years ago I was involved along with other UVic Military and Strategic Studies academics in what was referred to as the UVic Military Oral Histories project, which was overseen by Dr Reginald Roy, a renowned UVic Military historian, later Professor Emeritus and himself a decorated WWII veteran.

Reg's goal and very keen desire was that the project seek out, interview and record on tape those sessions with Canada's surviving wartime vets (remember this was the mid-80's prior to our involvement in Bosnia, Irag and Afghanistan) from the Great War, WWII, and Korea. I had the privilege of researching and interviewing about three dozen veterans mostly from WWII and Korea over the two years I was involved with the project.

It required significant research and liaising with both DND and Veterans Affairs, communicating with prospective interviewees explaining the goals of the project, securing their agreement in advance to agree to participate and naturally be interviewed - bear in mind many vets do not and did not wish to discuss their wartime experiences for obvious reasons - initially meeting with them then later conducting the formal interviews. All the interviews from this project, which spanned from the 1970's through the early 00's, are archived and catalogued in the UVic Mearns Library and freely available to anyone to listen to.

This week on the heels of Remembrance Day I was contacted through Facebook by not one but two families expressing deep appreciation for interviews I conducted back in 1985-6 with family member-veterans of Canada's wars. Needless to say I was singularly surprised and even humbled by their profuse thanks and praise. In particular the one communication which really drove home to me how your actions can impact and affect others years, even decades later - thankfully in this case very positively - came to me from a woman and her family in Arizona. I had interviewed her father who was a Brigadier-General in the Canadian Army in both WWII and in Korea, an interview which I remembered well due to his extensive and fascinating experiences in both wars in addition to some jaw-dropping information regarding his activities during the Cold War in the 1950's. 

After the initial exchange on Facebook in which I concluded with "......well I certainly hope I did a good job in your eyes xxxxx in the interview with your father?!" I received the following response a couple of days ago which really underscored how what we do and say can unknowingly and unintentionally affect people in ways you can't begin to fathom:

.....You did an excellent job!! Hearing first hand stories and experiences directly from veterans who served in war is really important for so many reasons as you well know.

Thank you for your interest and the diligent effort by you and your team in preserving and making their stories accessible to the public. Our family has always been grateful for the interview you did with Keith (I know he appreciated it!). Because of you and this project, our adult kids were able to hear their Grandfather's voice and listen to his personal military experiences - they gained valuable insight into such a brave and extraordinary man. Such a special gift for the family and future generations. Thank you, once again. You did a magnificent job.....

• Sparky and dasmo like this

#278 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:46 AM

^ Great story ASE, especially when you refer to how one's actions can affect others. Imagine what it would be like to hear the stories of a deceased ancestor in their own voice about their life experiences back in day.

The veterans that I knew didn't for the most part talk much with their families about military actions that they may or may not have been directly involved with. They may have been more inclined to go into detail with a stranger who's mission was to record those details for posterity.

I have had a number of questions pop into my mind over the years that I wished I would have asked when I had the chance.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,316 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 05:32 AM

84 years since the invasion of Poland in WW2 today.

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 07:09 AM

The German invasion.

16 days later, the Russians/Soviets would invade from the east.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users