Remembrance Day in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#81 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

Get serious. We all know what he means when he says he "sees immigrants". 

YES he meant "immigrants".   that's it.  you are reading racism into it.  i suspect you know very little about don cherry.  in the 80's 90's and 00's he was quite famous for decrying the growing prominence of (white) europeans in north american hockey.

there is no secret he likes "old fashioned canadian boys".  he's a nationalist for sure.  he's likely quite opposed to high levels of immigration. as are more than 50% of canadians. 

so he's in the majority there.  you are in the minority.

• rjag likes this

#82 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:21 AM

Oh, I know all about Cherry. I'm as old as you.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

so you know he's simply a staunch canadian nationalist.  so are most of us. 

he wants immigrants to wear poppies and understand the significance.  seems reasonable.

i don't wear a poppy.  although there was no missing in school what it was all about.   i suspect new adult immigrants don't know much about it.  it's really only significant in the commonwealth and lesser so in other allied nations.   as for children of immigrants i have no idea how much is taught in school now.  i do know that in ontario - the subject matter of this debate - that remembrance day is not even a holiday. never has been.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2019 - 06:31 AM.

#84 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

I repeat, how is he able to spot immigrants on the street if not by colour? Is there any evidence immigrants are ungrateful or indifferent to Remembrance day in relation to native-born Canadians?

Dwell on those questions before replying.

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I repeat, how is he able to spot immigrants on the street if not by colour? 

he did not say he singled out immigrants on the streets - by colour or otherwise.  he just said on the streets few were wearing them in brampton mississauga and toronto.  all areas with very very high immigrant populations.  i think thus the implication is obvious and clear:  "immigrants are much less likely to wear a poppy".  

#86 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

Is there any evidence immigrants are ungrateful or indifferent to Remembrance day in relation to native-born Canadians?

YES.  they wear poppies less.  

at the very least i think you will find zero evidence they are any more likely to be deeply grateful or invested in remembrance day activities.  watch tv today at the various ceremonies.  there will be mostly white people there by a very large margin.  probably rightly so - thy are the ones with grandparents etc. that lived through the world wars in europe.  or died in them.

now as to indian and chinese and south asian (filipino or korean or vietnamese) immigrants here that had significant wars and upheaval in their home countries either during the two world wars or at other times  i have no idea if they have similar ceremonies or remembrances like we do.   i'm completely ignorant.  perhaps like some immigrants are to our ww1/ww2 ceremonies.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2019 - 06:42 AM.

#87 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

If perpetuating the stereotype of the "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant" isn't racist, I'm concerned what the line would be for you.

I missed the part where he said  "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant"    If he said that then yes its an issue but I gather he said

"You people love...you come here...whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks.."

the closest part that may be misconstrued is ..."you come here...whatever it is"

That does not denote  "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant"   

Please dont associate statements he never made...its unbecoming of you

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:29 AM

on poppies:  also maybe strictly as fundraiser it needs a bit or a refresher too.   raising $20M a few bucks at a time with cash in bins probably is not the new efficient way to do it.

the veterans affairs department is a $4.5 billion operation (ie. $4500 million) with 90+ percent going to direct payments and services to veterans.  poppies are certainly an important awareness tool.  as a fundraiser they are not much.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2019 - 07:32 AM.

#89 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

I repeat, how is he able to spot immigrants on the street if not by colour? Is there any evidence immigrants are ungrateful or indifferent to Remembrance day in relation to native-born Canadians?

Rob, with respect, can you show me where you were as upset about our PM wearing blackface not once, not twice but at least 3 times...if anything is racist its that...how can one comment " You people love...you come here...whatever it is, "   be so egregious yet 3x minimum blackface get a hall pass?

One is an acerbic old fossil who is well known for making outrageous comments, the other is supposed to be our Prime Minister...the best Canada has to offer on the world stage....sigh...     

Edited by rjag, 11 November 2019 - 07:37 AM.

• Wayne and Victoria Watcher like this

#90 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

Oh, I'm glad Trudeau's blackface was uncovered. That upset me, no question. He rightly deserved to face the consequences. I'm baffled by his blackface obsession although it does fit the profile of a member of the isolated and pampered privileged elite. If he did it in the last 10 years it would have been a deal breaker for me. Same as if he had tried to defend it but he owned up to it.

See, Cherry is refusing to comment. He could easily walk this back but doesn't. 

I missed the part where he said  "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant"    If he said that then yes its an issue but I gather he said

the closest part that may be misconstrued is ..."you come here...whatever it is"

He paired it up with "land of milk and honey" which specifically refers to arriving in a new land. It's the promise God made to Moses and the Israelites. It's never used in a non-migrant context. 

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

See, Cherry is refusing to comment. He could easily walk this back but doesn't.

He paired it up with "land of milk and honey" which specifically refers to arriving in a new land. It's the promise God made to Moses and the Israelites. It's never used in a non-migrant context.

Sure it is. Israelis refer to Israel as the land of milk and honey and not in a migration context but in reference to a physical location. “We live in the land of milk and honey, Bob.” “Yup, we sure do.” This reference to Israel’s location goes back millennia.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

I'm not sure I get the point you are making? What does their skin color have to do with the fact they should be wearing poppies and are not? Does it make it okay if they have dark skin? I don't get it.

#93 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:29 AM

I'm not sure I get the point you are making? What does their skin color have to do with the fact they should be wearing poppies and are not? Does it make it okay if they have dark skin? I don't get it.

Or is no one allowed to make a point or an observation if it might possibly be a negative thing about people of a different race?

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

cherry is not commenting because he's not the pc type.  he's not going to come on and issue a big apology.  or even an explanation.  and by tomorrow this will all be over.  cherry is off until saturday.   

he only works 15 minutes* a week.  which makes it somewhat more bizarre that what he says is so followed.

*8 minutes to get into the suit/shirt and 7 minutes on tv during one period break.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#95 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

Sure it is. Israelis refer to Israel as the land of milk and honey and not in a migration context but in reference to a physical location. “We live in the land of milk and honey, Bob.” “Yup, we sure do.” This reference to Israel’s location goes back millennia.

The Israelites didn't say it regarding their surroundings. Like I said, it was God speaking to the Israelites in Egypt. You may not know this but the Exodus out of Egypt is kind of a major plot point.

I'm not sure why an atheist needs to explain one of the most famous stories in the Bible to you but here you go:

https://www.biblegat...7-8&version=NIV

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

No, but dudes in Israel today do. The Land of Milk and Honey refers to Canaan, indeed as per the reference above to the Canaanites. That’s loosely where Israel is today.

Great history lessons and all, but back to Cherry for a minute. I saw a tweet this morning that said: “If you think Cherry is a racist, but you voted for Trudeau, you must be a Liberal.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

In one of her first acts in the Big Leagues Laurel Collins laid the wreath on behalf of the Government of Canada.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

That’s an incredible honour. Is there more to this, as in why she was chosen?

Know it all.

#99 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

because the liberals have a minority?

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

Don Cherry fired.

https://www.thepostm...from-sportsnet/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 November 2019 - 12:06 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users