Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#41 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

So here are some simulated tweeting scenarios, as we don't actually know what was said this may help:

1. Want to come with? Vic, Saanich and OB are doing tag team pullovers on Atwell.

2. I just passed over into Oak Bay jurisdiction without notifying them, I'm feeling dirty.

3. I'm cocked loaded and ready to shoot, bring cuffs.

Edited by todd, 06 December 2015 - 08:44 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Should we find it interesting that a complaint was made?  Why was there a complaint if there were two willing partners in these tweets, and Elsner ended the exchange(s)?  Who complained, and why?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

Maybe Elsner complained? We know so very little at this point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Police Board co-chair Barb Desjardins said that while the report confirmed “there was inappropriate use of social media”, Elsner was cleared last week.

“There are two families that are very affected by this, and obviously very beaten up. I think we need to be able to deal with this and move on,” she said.

http://globalnews.ca...ordinates-wife/

Global News first became aware of allegations that Elsner had engaged in inappropriate conduct on December 3. But the next day – hours after the investigation had concluded – Desjardins evaded questions about the investigation.

“There is no complaint, so again, we have iterated to you we are very confident in our chief,” she said.

“There is no investigation at this time…we have complete confidence in our chief, we are appreciative of the work being done, and we look forward to continuing that work.”

Forty-eight hours later, Desjardins explained her previous comments by clarifying that no formal complaint had been made.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

Forty-eight hours later, Desjardins explained her previous comments by clarifying that no formal complaint had been made.

So there wasn't a formal complaint, therefore, how could there have been an investigation if a complaint is required to launch one, according to VHF?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

So there wasn't a formal complaint, therefore, how could there have been an investigation if a complaint is required to launch one, according to VHF?

Maybe someone just tipped off the board.  So they investigated.

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hmm. So technically, we have a whistleblower on the inside then.

Know it all.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

Hmm. So technically, we have a whistleblower on the inside then.

I'm not saying that, it's just a possible scenario.  Can't be many people that have access to the tweets, originally.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Perhaps tweets were the only evidence that was available. He-said-she-said doesn't hold up much without some sort of evidence.

Know it all.

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,537 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

Will "A little birdie told me so" hold up in court when it comes to twitter conversations?

• Hotel Mike likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

We are starting to run out of police chiefs in this town, and it is disappointing when you have this position of trust being abused, and whether the accusations are true or not the whole force come under scrutiny because now we wonder if the next person in line for the position is already tainted.

You have a force of investigators all trained in uncovering criminal activity so how does a chief expect his staff to turn a blind eye when someone is stupid enough to post stuff on twitter.

Good grief we have police work that needs doing not an ongoing Peyton Place soap opera.

• http and Hotel Mike like this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

You have a force of investigators all trained in uncovering criminal activity so how does a chief expect his staff to turn a blind eye when someone is stupid enough to post stuff on twitter.

These were private "direct messages" via twitter, as secure as e-mail, at least.  Easier to delete, you'd think.

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

These were private "direct messages" via twitter, as secure as e-mail, at least.  Easier to delete, you'd think.

Not easier to delete once it's out on the cloud floating around forever.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

Not easier to delete once it's out on the cloud floating around forever.

It's in a very secure part of the cloud though, one where you would normally need a court order to get to it, if you had deleted it on your dashboard.

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,537 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

It's in a very secure part of the cloud though, one where you would normally need a court order to get to it, if you had deleted it on your dashboard.

Maybe VicPD was practicing their NSA style warrantless hacking techniques? 

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

Well we already have 55 posts on this thread today plus perhaps some other forums where they haven't deleted anything and probably don't need a court order, mind you all we are doing is speculating from our easy chair knowing diddly squat.

• stormy likes this

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

Private twitter messages are only between two users, nobody else can see them if you do not have the users' log-in credentials.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

Private twitter messages are only between two users, nobody else can see them if you do not have the users' log-in credentials.

Well somebody has seen the messages and copied the information, otherwise we wouldn't have this thread to talk about it.

#59 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

What happens when you delete a VV private message? Automatically sent to Mike's inbox?

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

What happens when you delete a VV private message? Automatically sent to Mike's inbox?

If you print the message out and stick it under you mattress it still exists.

• nagel likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users