Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

Intentionally misleading and a lie are the same thing in my books.

What I find interesting in this thing, the investigation went on for months, so no doubt the Mayors had been very well briefed on what to say if the media contacted them.  And Desjardins still kind of messed up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

Intentionally misleading and a lie are the same thing in my books.

Devastating interview on CFAX with Rob Shaw. He calls out Desjardins and Helps for their actions (or lack thereof).

Starts at 0:50

https://soundcloud.com/al-ferraby-cfax

#83 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

The plot thickens:

http://www.cbc.ca/be...eview-1.3354799

#84 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

What I find interesting in this thing, the investigation went on for months, so no doubt the Mayors had been very well briefed on what to say if the media contacted them.  And Desjardins still kind of messed up.

This reminds me of how a five year old would get out of a conundrum.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

I think all along they have said that the report will be turned over to them.  Standard.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

I think all along they have said that the report will be turned over to them.  Standard.

If I recall, Helps said this morning on CFAX that they (her and Desjardins) approached the commissioner right away and essentially were told to handle this as an administrative matter. If that it true, it sounds strange that the commissioner now wants to launch an investigation.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

If I recall, Helps said this morning on CFAX that they (her and Desjardins) approached the commissioner right away and essentially were told to handle this as an administrative matter. If that it true, it sounds strange that the commissioner now wants to launch an investigation.

From the minute the story broke, the plan was to forward the report.

“There was no indication of an inappropriate relationship but there was indication of inappropriate use of direct messaging and Twitter,” Desjardins says. “Our chief is embarrassed, and very remorseful for engaging on Twitter in the manner that he did.” 

The board says an agreement on disciplinary action against the chief has been reached but won’t disclose it, citing confidentiality. 

The report will now be sent to the office of the police complaints commissioner. As for the board, it says it still has “full confidence in the chief’s ability".

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...-wife-1.2689352

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

From the minute the story broke, the plan was to forward the report.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...-wife-1.2689352

Right but the commissioner is now saying that he is launching an independent review. If he had known about this up front as Helps claims then why would he have not suggested that his office handle the issue at that point rather than doubling up the effort now?

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

Right but the commissioner is now saying that he is launching an independent review. If he had known about this up front as Helps claims then why would he have not suggested that his office handle the issue at that point rather than doubling up the effort now?

I think he reviews the file, including the investigation notes, conclusion and discipline.  Only then does he decide if a larger review is warranted.

#90 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

I think he reviews the file, including the investigation notes, conclusion and discipline.  Only then does he decide if a larger review is warranted.

Ok I read the release as stating that the commissioner has decided to proceed with an independent review but I could be wrong.

At this point I think that it will be the rank and file who decide if Elsner stays or goes. If they shun him like they did Battershill then it is only a matter of time.

Edited by spanky123, 07 December 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

At this point I think that it will be the rank and file who decide if Elsner stays or goes. If they shun him like they did Battershill then it is only a matter of time.

In a 200+ member force, don't most officers have more direct contact with the other senior ranks?  Won't their relationship with Elsner be most important?

#92 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

^ To my point. Sounds like Elsner is gone.

http://www.timescolo...tions-1.2127868

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

If front line cops are disappointed in their chief, what in the world was the board thinking when they decided they have full confidence in Elsner? This shows they're grossly out of touch with reality and some members were likely too meek to vote against their peers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

From the piece:

"Dermod Travis, executive director of Integrity B.C., said the chief must go beyond his apology and have face-to-face dialogue with his senior officers, then his constables, to hear their views.

“Ultimately, at the end of the day, it’s not really the police board’s call,” Travis said. “It’s not really the chief’s call. It’s going to be the people on the front line — it’s their call.

“And if he does not have their total confidence, it’s going to be problematic for the police force going forward.”

Former B.C. solicitor general Kash Heed said as an experienced chief, Elsner should have known his behaviour was “absolutely unacceptable."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

From the piece:

"Dermod Travis, executive director of Integrity B.C., said the chief must go beyond his apology and have face-to-face dialogue with his senior officers, then his constables, to hear their views.

Apologies at this level usually have a hollow ring to them.

This is no different than personal relationship that rarely survives the hanky-panky test.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

Oh look:

CRD to vote for new board chair, Desjardins confirms she's running

http://www.cfax1070....jardins-confirm

The current chair in Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen and Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins told C-FAX this morning she plans to be in the running.

"Many of my colleges [did they mean colleagues?] have asked me to consider it again. They still feel I can add something to the board so I'll put my name forward tomorrow and I hope to get support."

Add something to the board? Do other politicians feel it is perfectly acceptable to have a Chair who tried to push the investigation against the chief under the rug and lied about what was really happening?

• spanky123 likes this

Know it all.

#97 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:24 AM

Oh look:

Add something to the board? Do other politicians feel it is perfectly acceptable to have a Chair who tried to push the investigation against the chief under the rug and lied about what was really happening?

Agreed. She is unfit to take on this position until the air is cleared.

I also noted from the TC article today that it states that Helps and Desjardins informed the police board of the investigation last Friday. I hope that this is an editing error and should have said "results of the investigation". I wonder if the full police board was in fact informed of the investigation from the start and had a role in the disciplinary action (The TC on Sunday stated that Helps and Desjardins decided on the discipline).

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Desjardins is less than enthusiastic about the situation this morning on CFAX:

https://soundcloud.c...8-6am-1#t=50:35   <  Sound clip.

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

SFU criminologist on CFAX this morning thinks Desjardins needs to own up a bit, and Elsner to step down for at least a bit.

https://soundcloud.c...8-8am-1#t=51:40   <  Sound clip

#100 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Even if a probe clears the air it will be hard for him to maintain or regain the respect of staff. The Chief can't be a laughingstock.
  • Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users