Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#921 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

“We were way out of our depth.”

No Lisa, you were.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#922 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

...Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps ‘100 per cent agrees’ with OPCC’s findings on ex-police chief investigation...

So she agrees then that a "case can be made that the mayors had predetermined the outcome of the internal discipline process from the outset, and set about navigating a course to allow the former chief to remain in his position..."* Is she admitting to her culpability?

* Summary-Informational-Report p.44

• A Girl is No one likes this

#923 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

She hasn’t even read the report.

#924 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

She hasn’t even read the report.

didn't she say her ability to read vast amounts of mindless paperwork as one of the reasons why she makes a good mayor?

#925 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

I bet because she is part of the report she would have been provided with an advanced copy for legal reasons

I also bet she was hoping it wouldn’t be released for a few more weeks

#926 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:48 PM

Adam Stirling going nuts on twitter. Claiming that this "feels like the end" for Helps. Should be an interesting show tomorrow at 9:06 AM.

As an aside: I’ve been a reporter in Victoria now for almost 14 years. 10 of which I’ve covered BC politics. I’m rarely as blatantly and crassly misled by any politician as I was by @BarbDesjardins and @VotingHelps in this case. I think OPCC report makes that abundantly clear.

Edited by spanky123, 26 September 2018 - 08:48 PM.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#927 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:54 PM

Adam Stirling going nuts on twitter. Claiming that this "feels like the end" for Helps...

With 23+ days until the election, it makes me a bit nervous that people are declaring Helps out of the race. I'd almost rather that Lowe's report hadn't come out for a couple more weeks. The general public have incredibly short memories and the less time Her Worseship has to do damage control on this matter the better.

#928 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

With 23+ days until the election, it makes me a bit nervous that people are declaring Helps out of the race. I'd almost rather that Lowe's report hadn't come out for a couple more weeks. The general public have incredibly short memories and the less time Her Worseship has to do damage control on this matter the better.

There will be more shoes to drop. 

Adam Stirling is also reporting that Barb Desjardins isn't taking this lying down. My bet is that she turns on Helps in the next few days.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#929 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:29 PM

https://www.sookenew...-investigation/
Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps ‘100 per cent agrees’ with OPCC’s findings on ex-police chief investigation
Helps doesn’t want mayors to be put in that position again

"...no mayor should ever be put in that position again."

I have to say, I would not have imagined she could find a way to make herself and Desjardins the victims in this, but there it is. It's a response worthy of Donald J. Trump.

#930 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

Adam Stirling going nuts on twitter. Claiming that this "feels like the end" for Helps. Should be an interesting show tomorrow at 9:06 AM.

Rob Shaw

Verified account

@robshaw_vansun

10h10 hours ago

More

As an aside: I’ve been a reporter in Victoria now for almost 14 years. 10 of which I’ve covered BC politics. I’m rarely as blatantly and crassly misled by any politician as I was by @BarbDesjardins and @VotingHelps in this case. I think OPCC report makes that abundantly clear.

In the meetoo era, I don't even know how she can look voters in the eye and stay in the race. I mean, I know admitting she's wrong is unfamiliar territory for her, but...

#931 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

Frank Elsner's LinkedIn page shows him as a senior consultant for 3Si Risk Strategies. It says he's been working there for the past 17 months.  This was the company that the Township of Esquimalt hired to give advice on the bidding process for the Esquimalt policing contract.

• rmpeers likes this

#932 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

Frank Elsner's LinkedIn page shows him as a senior consultant for 3Si Risk Strategies. It says he's been working there for the past 17 months.  This was the company that the Township of Esquimalt hired to give advice on the bidding process for the Esquimalt policing contract.

WOW...so Elsner comes out with a job from contacts made while he was chief, a chief that now faces a severe penalty from his actions while on the job here.

Former Victoria police chief Frank Elsner will never wear a police uniform in Canada again.

Although Elsner resigned in May 2017, his service record will now show that he committed eight acts of misconduct under the Police Act which would have resulted in his dismissal from policing.

“These findings and discipline measures are unprecedented in Canadian policing,” B.C. police complaint commissioner Stan Lowe said Wednesday.

Two retired judges acting for the commissioner determined that Elsner committed six acts of discreditable conduct, including three of workplace harassment, one act of deceit and one act of inappropriate use of police equipment.

https://www.timescol...alty-1.23443378

• rmpeers likes this

#933 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

Barb Desjardins will be on Stirling's C-FAX show at 9:15 am.

#934 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

One thing the report doesn't address, unless I missed it, is the allegation that the police board/mayors used police operational funds for a communications consultant.

#935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

The police board has not paid Elsner’s legal bills since May 2016. Helps said she will release the total cost of the misconduct investigations in coming weeks. That cost was already $693,000 in June 2017.

“It won’t be a pretty figure,” said Helps.

by "in coming weeks" does she mean after the election?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#936 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

One thing the report doesn't address, unless I missed it, is the allegation that the police board/mayors used police operational funds for a communications consultant.

That would most likely be beyond the mandate of the investigation. It was about the Chief. Perhaps another investigation as to the conduct of the co-chairs should be launched

• Nparker, Bingo and Midnightly like this

#937 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

There are two other aspects of this case that warrant mentioning.

1. There were other members of the police board. To what extent were they involved in the decision to withhold evidence and alter documents that were provided to the OPCC. We know that at least one board member wrote an open letter to Helps and Desjardins chastizing them for not informing the board of their activities. Was this a one off or routine?

2. When Cst Elsner filed his lawsuit to try and have the investigation by the OPCC quashed, Helps and Desjardins used taxpayer dollars to have legal council intervene and support Elsner's action. Despite anything that Helps or Desjardins have subsequently claimed about not knowing about the sexual assault or harassment until after the fact, there is no doubt that they knew when they took the legal action.

#938 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

...Perhaps another investigation as to the conduct of the co-chairs should be launched

I am OK letting the voters conduct their own investigation on October 20, 2018 - as long as they come to the correct conclusion.

• GaryRanson likes this

#939 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

Barb Desjardins will be on Stirling's C-FAX show at 9:15 am.

Is there were she breaks ranks with Helps or does she go down swinging like her counterpart? It has already cost her a potential job as MLA, is she willing now to completely forfeit her career in politics?

#940 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

The police board has not paid Elsner’s legal bills since May 2016. Helps said she will release the total cost of the misconduct investigations in coming weeks. That cost was already $693,000 in June 2017.

“It won’t be a pretty figure,” said Helps.

by "in coming weeks" does she mean after the election?

Why wait, they already have the figure.

• Love the rock likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users