Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11611 replies to this topic

#4141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

The broke even and pay yourself first bits.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4142 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

One of the basic rules of business is you must pay yourself first, it was instilled in me from an early age.  In the example of day trading if you only make $200 in a day, but that took you away from your $400 a day job completely, did you really make any money?  NOPE

#4143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Apple reportedly bid $240 per share for Tesla back in 2013.

It’s no secret they would like to buy or at least partner with an automaker, and the question now is with which one.

In other news a Morgan Stanley analyst believes Tesla saturated the market with their vehicles and grew too big, too soon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4144 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

https://www.reuters....l-idUSKCN1SR0WO

One of Tesla’s former biggest supporters on Wall Street said on Tuesday the electric carmaker’s shares could fall to $10 from nearly $200 now, if tensions with China escalate and sap demand for its cars

#4145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

I know that Big Bad China is now the favourite Bad Guy for anything related to global trade and corporate performance, but the nail in Tesla’s coffin was the erosion of US subsidies. Once they disappeared demand evaporated.

And now the only saving grace for the company is China, but China is littered with competitors.

Know it all.

#4146 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,352 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

The federal US subsidies aren't completely gone yet, not till end of this year. There are various state level ones too, I think. 

I'm not sure how much of an effect the subsidies had though simply because they likely didn't contribute that much to increased sales, particularly before the Model 3 came out. Someone who can afford a 100k Model S can afford a 107 500 Model S too.

#4147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

The subsidies (various forms, including direct and indirect government involvement) subsidized each Tesla sale in the United States at an average of $10,197 per car.

It's not a coincidence that as the subsidies evaporated Tesla had the proverbial rug pulled from under its feet.

Know it all.

#4148 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

^ Wasn't there also something to do with carbon credits, and Tesla has such a massive surplus of credits that they were/are selling them to other automakers to the tune of millions of dollars annually?

#4149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Yes, Tesla is also in the business of absorbing fleet emission overages by automobile manufacturers in Europe.

Know it all.

#4150 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

It’s no secret they would like to buy or at least partner with an automaker, and the question now is with which one.

In other news a Morgan Stanley analyst believes Tesla saturated the market with their vehicles and grew too big, too soon.

Is that a variation of "Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded." ?

The problem with Tesla is they sold too many cars.

#4151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

I think it's more like 'now that everyone's fed, what do we do?'

• tjv likes this

Know it all.

#4152 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

So this appears to be nothing but a rumor and no paperwork exists proving the offer.

Why is this suddenly making news 6 years later?  Perhaps its because share prices have plummeted and this is nothing more than a fraud like "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420.  Funding secured"

#4153 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Toyota rolls out the first hybrid corolla next year. The price is quite good coming in at just a hair under 25 K.

• rjag likes this

#4154 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,352 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

^ why though? What does it add that the Prius doesn't have?

#4155 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

^ Same as the Hybrid Camry - it's Not A Prius.

• sebberry likes this

#4156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

I drove a hybrid Camry a number of years ago.  Probably a first gen model.  Hated every minute of it.  Have they improved?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4157 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,352 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

The Camry at least has a size argument. The Corolla is basically the same size as a Prius, the specs are almost identical. The only key difference is that one is a sedan and one is a hatchback.

#4158 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

I drive my wife’s Prius from time to time. Too small, no power, hard seat, massive blind spots. Uses half the gas of my vehicle though, so it has that going for it. Next car will almost surely be all electric. She jokes about a Tesla, but I’m not sure she’s joking as much these days...

Matt.

#4159 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

^ why though? What does it add that the Prius doesn't have?

Name brand recognition most likely. Civic and Corolla are the # 1 and 2 best selling cars in Canada for a reason. They may be a little too vanilla for some folks but they are relatively affordable and they tend to be super reliable. 

#4160 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

I drive my wife’s Prius from time to time. Too small, no power, hard seat, massive blind spots. Uses half the gas of my vehicle though, so it has that going for it. Next car will almost surely be all electric. She jokes about a Tesla, but I’m not sure she’s joking as much these days...

Matt.

test drive the vw egolf...pretty close to my old gti...but all electric

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users