Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11576 replies to this topic

#4381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

Tesla’s stock crashed out of the gate this morning. Down 6% so far. My guess is the nerds are upset their Mad Max wagon doesn’t come with a flame thrower ...and now that their buzz has worn off, realizing it won’t fit in a condo garage.
  • rjag and jasmineshinga like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4382 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

Thats truck is fugly. Doesnt look very practical. but concepts usually evolve so heres hoping

• Mike K. likes this

#4383 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

Well you said your truck is too big to fit into parking downtown so you avoid going there.  That's not a vehicle, that's a disability.  

Ah, but handicap parking spaces tend to be larger, so there's that.

#4384 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:05 AM

I can definitely see it being popular among rappers and international students

Escalades, G-Class and Pepsi trucks are out, Damnation Alley's Landmaster is in.

#4385 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

Even if not intended as a joke, that "truck" is a joke.

#4386 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:45 AM

Tesla fan/long time owner here, but damn this truck is super ugly. 

I much prefer the Rivian looks wise.

Edited by MarkoJ, 22 November 2019 - 10:46 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4387 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Well you said your truck is too big to fit into parking downtown so you avoid going there.  That's not a vehicle, that's a disability.  

...if you don't know how to parallel park.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

...so my mom just told me if I buy the Cybertruck to not park it in front of her house, lol. Oh, mom.

Know it all.

#4389 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

...if you don't know how to parallel park.

You said it's too big for downtown, not me.

#4390 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

Oh it’s no smart car, but I manage on the streets. Too big for parkades though.

Know it all.

#4391 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

Tesla fan/long time owner here, but damn this truck is super ugly. 

I much prefer the Rivian looks wise.

Rivian is a truck for the coffee shop.  This is a truck for...  well I don't know what it's for exactly, but then again most trucks are bought just because people like them, not for anything in particular so I guess it'll fit right in.

The big disadvantage that the Rivian has is a 4.5ft bed which makes it less than useful for any actual truck stuff.   6.5 on the Tesla is a lot better.    Also 3500lb payload is no joke. 

And despite it looking like a monstrosity, it's the same size as an F150.   

I suspect they will make a toned down version by the time this comes out but if they can get even close to the price for those specs this will be a big hit.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 22 November 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#4392 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

And despite it looking like a monstrosity, it's the same size as an F150.   

Which is the same size as an F250, and the same size as an F350 in the same 6.5 configuration. The F150 just has weaker components, but it's the same general size.

The longest Cybertruck will be 21' feet long (250 inches). The longest F350 with the 8' and the largest cabin is 266 inches, or just over 22'. So the Tesla is a monstrosity, if an F350 is a monstrosity.

Know it all.

#4393 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

we will definitely see these in vic thought maybe even Langford

#4394 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

hey...it's my 2 year anniversary with the e-golf...

imagine - 2 years without a drop of gasoline

and as a bonus, did i mention that i drove to whistler and back for free a couple of weeks ago...yep...free. those bchydro fast chargers are great!

• rjag and LeoVictoria like this

#4395 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

and as a bonus, did i mention that i drove to whistler and back for free a couple of weeks ago...yep...free. those bchydro fast chargers are great!

How much did you pay over a conventional Golf? gotta factor that into it...how much mileage are you doing? Do you like it?

#4396 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

How much did you pay over a conventional Golf? gotta factor that into it...how much mileage are you doing? Do you like it?

retail was 36k, but after trade in of 2012 "dirty" tdi, (previously we drove a 2000 gti) insult money, bc grant it came out at about 8k for a brand new car ... pretty hard deal to beat

hard to compare - it has a pretty high trim level, sport seats like a gti (a must for my wife) and it has ridiculous torque from zero (maybe quicker than the gti)

so, compared to a gti it is about 5-7k more

we love the car - like most people who drive electric, once they do they won't go back to an i.c.e. car - there is no comparison

2 years we put on 20,000 km - so we are not heavy drivers

literally no maintenance cost - technician looked at brakes this week and said they looked like new - with regenerative braking i almost never touch the brake pedal

in summer the range when fully charged is about 240 km - pretty much the same as when we picked it up

in winter the range reads around 200 km (colder weather)

my daughter has one in l.a., and my son drives a little fiat e500 - and now my bridge partner picked up a tesla (after a few trips up island to tournaments and such)...it's contagious

Edited by tommy, 22 November 2019 - 11:40 PM.

• rjag likes this

#4397 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:41 PM

and i do have the solar panels on the roof - generate more electricity than we use

• LeoVictoria likes this

#4398 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

Oh that’s a neat feature, the solar panels.

Know it all.

#4399 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

Yep.  3 years for me.   It's great.  Victoria is absolutey lousy with electrics these days and it's going to ramp up hard with all the models coming out.  BC has already achieved their 2025 goal of 10% of new vehicle sales.  Likely will be at 25-40% by 2025.

A number of small SUVs next year with Tesla Model Y and Ford Mach E. 

Rav4 Plug in Hybrid next year with 300HP and 68km of pure electric range will sell like hotcakes too.

VW ID4 crossover possibly next year as well.   I bet the ID3 will make it to Canada too in 2021. 

eTron, EQC, Taycan, X, S, for the high end all available next year. 

Then 2021/2022 will be lots of trucks coming out.  Rivian, Tesla, Ford, GM all planning electric trucks.

Rapidly approaching the point where electrics are a no brainer for anyone with home charging.   At that point we will see massive rollout of public and workplace charging to support those without home charging.  I already know a few people that own Teslas in a condo without home charging and it works fine because they have charging at work.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 23 November 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#4400 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

retail was 36k, but after trade in of 2012 "dirty" tdi, (previously we drove a 2000 gti) insult money, bc grant it came out at about 8k for a brand new car ... pretty hard deal to beat

Thats awesome! For me that would be a great range for an urban commuter and the odd run up island etc. I like the option of the rooftop solar, surprised that this hasnt been picked up more. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GaryOak