Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11642 replies to this topic

#4361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

$2/hour for every to power your car is very affordable. If you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay $2/hour to charge it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4362 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

Experiences with the CoV public chargers in the parkades is that they are currently heavily used as they are free.  Typically we see these chargers being utilized quite a bit.  I think some commuters are grabbing them early then moving as they have a 3 hour limit and then quite busy throughout the day.  The CoV should be adding a fee for the use of the charging station.  I think different vehicle charge at different rates so it's not really easy to charge the residential electricity rate.

Looking to add some level one chargers for commuters to use as they park for the day.  The trickle charge over the work day should help relieve some use of the level 2 stations.  All $$ raised by use of the machines would be put toward purchasing new equipment as well.

I believe the BCUC has now allowed charging by kWh so should be able to do this now or soon.   Of course with a high idle fee to make sure people aren't just sitting there not charging.  

#4363 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

$2/hour for every to power your car is very affordable. If you can afford an EV, you can afford to pay $2/hour to charge it.

Last I checked Saanich has an emissions goal.   The way to get there is to reduce emissions from transportation which is the majority of the emissions in the region.   That plus equity considerations for lower income folks means the logical thing is to charge the residential rate or close to it at public charging stations to support those without home charging.

If you have home charging you don't need to use a public charging station at all in 99% of the cases.   The stations are busy now only because they are free. 

#4364 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

I believe the BCUC has now allowed charging by kWh so should be able to do this now or soon.   Of course with a high idle fee to make sure people aren't just sitting there not charging.  

It might be the case but there is a desire to help fund the equipment as well which should be paid for or at least partially.

#4365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:29 PM

Last I checked Saanich has an emissions goal. The way to get there is to reduce emissions from transportation which is the majority of the emissions in the region. That plus equity considerations for lower income folks means the logical thing is to charge the residential rate or close to it at public charging stations to support those without home charging.

Lower income folks don’t go around buying electric vehicles they have nowhere to charge.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

Just to add to the above, we need to start being frank and honest about the EV equation to potential owners, high income or low income.

"Free" charging and low-cost charging will be a distant memory in the not too distant future. There is so much taxation generated via fuel sales that a transition to EVs will eventually coincide with recouping those costs through charging. Whether it's an insurance based fee based on mileage, or at the 'pump,' it's coming, and it will turn every charge into an equation that includes road/infrastructure/federal/provincial/transit taxes. $2/hour? Try $35 just in taxes.

Lower income individuals should also not be duped into believing that low-cost charging is a municipal responsibility and that it will be part of the infrastructure grid into the future.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4367 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Tesla Cybertruck reveal tonight

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20191121_204221_com.android.chrome.png

#4368 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,519 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

Tesla Cybertruck reveal tonight

I've gotta give it to them, they stuck to the prototype design remarkably well:

3_29.jpg

• rjag and Matt R. like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

Pfff. They ripped off Ford.
  • m3m likes this

Know it all.

#4370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

Did I say Ford? I meant The Homer.

Jesus, I thought this truck was a joke. But looking at all of the media coverage I don’t think it is.

79A24978-0AEA-4461-8D12-99002F2D674E.jpeg
  • Jackerbie likes this

Know it all.

#4371 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

Did I say Ford? I meant The Homer.

Jesus, I thought this truck was a joke. But looking at all of the media coverage I don’t think it is.

Well you said your truck is too big to fit into parking downtown so you avoid going there.  That's not a vehicle, that's a disability.  

So if truck owners are willing to put up with that, why not at least look badass doing it? 

#4372 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

Lower income folks don’t go around buying electric vehicles they have nowhere to charge.

That would be why they're building tons of charging stations.....

#4373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

Badass?

BADASS?

Dude. That’s not badass.

Know it all.

#4374 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

Just to add to the above, we need to start being frank and honest about the EV equation to potential owners, high income or low income.

"Free" charging and low-cost charging will be a distant memory in the not too distant future. There is so much taxation generated via fuel sales that a transition to EVs will eventually coincide with recouping those costs through charging. Whether it's an insurance based fee based on mileage, or at the 'pump,' it's coming, and it will turn every charge into an equation that includes road/infrastructure/federal/provincial/transit taxes. $2/hour? Try $35 just in taxes.

Thing about electricity is you can generate it yourself if you think the retail rate is too much.   Not so much with gas.

And if they go to a km based road tax it doesn't change the EV equation at all.   Fuel still a third the price of gas.

#4375 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

Badass?

BADASS?

Dude. That’s not badass.

Bet it'll sell though.   They'll probably make a version with a more conventional body on it.   The platform and specs are insane if they can deliver on them.

#4376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

It’ll be somewhat cool if you’re the only one in town with one, but the design is jarring in an “you either really love it or epically detest it” kind of way that they’ll no doubt have a following, like the Aztec.

Know it all.

#4377 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

It definitely looks like nothing else. Musk said blade runner and definitely delivered. I like it.

#4378 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

I can definitely see it being popular among rappers and international students
  • rjag and Matt R. like this

#4379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:26 PM

That’s the R and S in your name. What’s the F stand for?
  • RFS likes this

Know it all.

#4380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

Watching the reveal I sympathize with the guy. After the glass broke you could sense he was deflated and wanted to get off that stage. He handled it with grace though, while the whole world was watching.

Looking at the specs and the design details this is not a vehicle I would at all be interested in, but I can see how someone who isn’t a truck person today would make the switch only with that vehicle.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users