Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11503 replies to this topic

#4341 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

Super reliable in their ultra-limited early production runs and testing in perfect weather.

A Ford V8 will run forever so long as it’s maintained, ie in perfect laboratory conditions and controlled testing. But real-world use shows that most motors will need replacement by 400-500k.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4342 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Here’s a guy who put 1 million miles on an F250 in four years: https://www.google.c...-in-four-years/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4343 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,881 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

^ ^ ^ your first sentence is likely an oversimplification. or at least varies by person or by car or by a myriad of other circumstance.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#4344 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

A car that refuses to die is bad for business, so don’t expect manufacturers to sell these vehicles if they expect to stay in business.

Nissan’s Leaf is insanely over-engineered so as to avoid the pitfalls of its other vehicles. The company can’t afford to have axles break or steering gears to fail (we also know that a Nissan Leaf master cylinder replacement is $4,000) in this early stage.

One of the company cars at my workplace is the new Leaf.  Been in the shop several times for electrical gremlins, not starting, etc...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4345 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

But don't people swap cars every ten years or so as their needs change regardless if the car is in good condition or not? Super-reliable cars would affect the secondary market more. Tesla would have to expand its lineup with minivans and economy cars to ensure buyers don't stray from the brand when their lifestyle changes.

Bought mine new in 2004, now have 218,000km on it.  Don't plan on selling it for probably another 5 or more years.  One, can't afford to; two, there's nothing that really appeals to me on the market right now in the 'reasonably priced' category.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4346 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

Bought mine new in 2004, now have 218,000km on it. Don't plan on selling it for probably another 5 or more years. One, can't afford to; two, there's nothing that really appeals to me on the market right now in the 'reasonably priced' category.

Bet you’re waiting for the new RS6 Avant launching here next year!

#4347 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:40 PM

Don't get me too excited!  My new summer/winter tire setup is stretching the budget enough!

• rjag likes this

#4348 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,881 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

Sidney:

“Moving forward, if we are looking at a REOI, my suggestion would be that council should at least be comfortable with the idea of possibly charging some amount for the use of an EV charging station,” said Randy Humble, Sidney’s chief administrative officer during Tuesday’s regular council meeting.

Coun. Terri O’Keeffe had earlier expressed reservations about this very possibility. How will charging for the use of EV stations impact Sidney’s climate change goals, she asked in sketching out a possibility whereby owners of EVs could end up paying what amounts to a parking fee to charge their vehicles, while owners of gasoline vehicles would pay nothing. Sidney, she said later, should first settle the question of whether it wants to start charging EV owners in calling for more research.

https://www.vicnews....rivate-company/

#4349 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:25 AM

It's either the RS 6 or the soon to be released e tron GT sports at the top of my list.
  • rjag likes this

#4350 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

It's either the RS 6 or the soon to be released e tron GT sports at the top of my list.

I hopefully will be driving the new Taycan when it arrives at the dealership next month...will be interesting to see how it is in real life

#4351 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:51 AM

I hopefully will be driving the new Taycan when it arrives at the dealership next month...will be interesting to see how it is in real life

Envy !!đź‘Ťđź‘Ť eagerly awaiting your report.

Edited by SimonH, 16 November 2019 - 12:52 AM.

#4352 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

Doug Demuro will have a taycan review up shortly in YouTube.

#4353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

Any bets on his Doug Score?

Know it all.

#4354 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Hard to say without analyzing his categories closely. Probably low 70s
  • Mike K. likes this

#4355 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

...an electric Mustang!?!...

https://driving.ca/f...-mustang-mach-e

https://mobilesyrup....anada-suv-ford/

Edited by tommy, 17 November 2019 - 10:14 PM.

#4356 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:00 AM

https://youtu.be/Vj5Mn65S3tU

Sneak preview.

Geneva-19-61.jpg

#4357 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

Tesla Cybertruck reveal tonight

#4358 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Doubt it will arrive.   Deliveries of the Taycan delayed to Spring/Summer.   

#4359 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

[quote name="Victoria Watcher" post="514317" timestamp="1573826391"]

Sidney:

“Moving forward, if we are looking at a REOI, my suggestion would be that council should at least be comfortable with the idea of possibly charging some amount for the use of an EV charging station,” said Randy Humble, Sidney’s chief administrative officer during Tuesday’s regular council meeting.

Coun. Terri O’Keeffe had earlier expressed reservations about this very possibility. How will charging for the use of EV stations impact Sidney’s climate change goals, she asked in sketching out a possibility whereby owners of EVs could end up paying what amounts to a parking fee to charge their vehicles, while owners of gasoline vehicles would pay nothing. Sidney, she said later, should first settle the question of whether it wants to start charging EV owners in calling for more research.

https://www.vicnews....rivate-company/
[/quote]

Free EV charging is stupid....

You could charge a lot for the power (Vancouver has gone to $2/hour which works out to $0.33/kWh or triple the residential rate) and while I understand that this rate is likely required to fully recover the capital costs, I think this is going too far and will penalize lower income EV drivers...[/quote]

Free EV charging is stupid. Here's the letter I wrote to Saanich Councillor Colin Plant on that topic:

I would like to comment on the idea to potentially charge money for EV charging stations in Saanich. As an EV driver, I would like to make the argument that

1. Charging should not be free and
2. The rate should be equal to the residential electricity rate

To understand why, we first have to step back and understand the purpose behind installing EV charging stations on municipal property. In my mind that is:
1. To support EV drivers from another area that might need to charge to get to their next destination.
2. To allow people to purchase EVs without access to home charging.

Unfortunately the current free stations do not achieve these objectives. Because they are free, they are extremely busy, which means that travellers or people without home charging cannot rely on them to be available. So currently they are basically only used by people who have home charging that they could use but they are taking advantage of the free power. But does that help anyone? It likely does little to encourage EV ownership, while subsidizing higher income residents that can afford both a house with charging and an EV, and it annoys the non-EV driving public that sees it as a handout. There is a real risk of public backlash against these expenditures if it isn't carefully managed.

You could charge a lot for the power (Vancouver has gone to $2/hour which works out to $0.33/kWh or triple the residential rate) and while I understand that this rate is likely required to fully recover the capital costs, I think this is going too far and will penalize lower income EV drivers that don't have home charging.

The gap between free and a small charge is very large. Free makes people do irrational things. The analogy I use is if there were parking spots that gave out a couple litres of free gas per hour there would be knife fights over them so it is certainly not unique to EV drivers!

Charging the residential hydro rate at charging stations (plus an idle fee) would stop the freeloading, while having chargers available for travellers, and those without home charging. It would also bring in some small revenue to cover the costs of power if not the capital costs and it would reassure non-EV drivers that they aren't paying for other people's driving. In the future the rate could increase a bit to cover other overhead, although I think something like $0.15/kWh should be the ceiling for L2 chargers.

Future EV charger rollout should be concentrated around apartments and other areas with fewer home charging options. For example streetlamp charging like is being rolled out in LA to support renters: https://electrek.co/...ace-to-plug-in/

With over 50% of Saanich emissions coming from transportation, increasing electrification is by far the biggest impact the city can have on emissions. Please focus on the low hanging fruit rather than the small issues that won't move the needle on emissions.

#4360 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

Free EV charging is stupid.  Here's the letter I wrote to Saanich Councillor Colin Plant on that topic:

I would like to comment on the idea to potentially charge money for EV charging stations in Saanich.   As an EV driver, I would like to make the argument that 

1. Charging should not be free and 
2. The rate should be equal to the residential electricity rate

Experiences with the CoV public chargers in the parkades is that they are currently heavily used as they are free.  Typically we see these chargers being utilized quite a bit.  I think some commuters are grabbing them early then moving as they have a 3 hour limit and then quite busy throughout the day.  The CoV should be adding a fee for the use of the charging station.  I think different vehicle charge at different rates so it's not really easy to charge the residential electricity rate.

Looking to add some level one chargers for commuters to use as they park for the day.  The trickle charge over the work day should help relieve some use of the level 2 stations.  All $$ raised by use of the machines would be put toward purchasing new equipment as well.

Edited by Ismo07, 21 November 2019 - 02:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users