Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11576 replies to this topic

#4781 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

but say if you have an electric car that you only use 3 or 4 days a week. can you make an independent system with no fixed battery? ie. if your electric car is not there it charges nothing but the rest of the time it tops your car up?

Yes that is possible with a bit of electronics DIY. Not rocket science. Although anyone who commutes would have their car away at just the peak solar time so I’m not sure how practical it would be.

An interesting idea is integrated solar panels in the cars roof so the car charges itself. Elon has promised that option on the Cybertruck and estimated it could add about 25km per day.
Not a huge amount but it would almost cover all our driving (27km/day average) and how awesome would it be to have a car that you neither have to fill up or plug in?

No desire to buy a cybertruck but I bet we will see this option in other vehicles at some point. Even if it just covers a couple thousand km per year I bet many people would find that very attractive
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4782 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

Coming up in a few years is widespread vehicle to grid and vehicle to home technology as well.
So then your EV can run your home during a power outage, and B.C. hydro will pay you to power your home from your car at peak times in order to reduce peak demand.

Technology for that exists right now just needs more widespread implementation in vehicles

#4783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

Coming up in a few years is widespread vehicle to grid and vehicle to home technology as well.
So then your EV can run your home during a power outage, and B.C. hydro will pay you to power your home from your car at peak times in order to reduce peak demand.

Technology for that exists right now just needs more widespread implementation in vehicles

yes that makes sense.  power your home from your car in an outage is real attractive.  for those that do not want to maintain a generator.

#4784 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

What do you mean maintain a generator? What’s there to maintain? Just put treated gas in and nothing will go wrong. 99% of issues are people trying to use the things with bad gas or plugged up gas lines due to crystallization.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4785 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

Model Y looks awesome -> https://www.youtube....Y1_vdsys&t=494s

This will outsell the Model 3 by a wide margin in my opinion. If Tesla stock was still in the 300 range I would be loading up now.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4786 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Model Y looks awesome -> https://www.youtube....Y1_vdsys&t=494s

This will outsell the Model 3 by a wide margin in my opinion. If Tesla stock was still in the 300 range I would be loading up now.

Your chance might be coming soon. TSLA at $546 down from $900 earlier this year. Still up 100% from a year ago, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they hit the $300s during this virus lockdown.

You better pile in this time and not just all talk like the last time it hit the level you said you would buy at and never did!

#4787 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

Model Y has a heat pump which means it should be much more efficient in the winter too.

#4788 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

Tesla at $420. Got your trade loaded Marko?

#4789 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:22 AM

$388 now Marko.   Loading up?

Their factory was forced to close which is worrying but you don’t get a discount for nothing

#4790 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

383 marko!

#4791 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:43 AM

some good, current info

https://vimeo.com/389506892

#4792 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

Missed another chance Marko.  TSLA back to $505

And Demuro on the Model Y. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=xAXDcTH6hPw

#4793 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

...it ain't no tesla...but i love my e-golf...the people's electric car...

https://insideevs.co...an-anticipated/

• LeoVictoria likes this

#4794 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:02 AM

Coronavirus is just one more reason to go electric.   Cleaner air reduces people’s susceptibility to respiratory viruses and you don’t have to touch any filthy gas pumps.

Also tesla completely cleaned up in the Kelley blue book awards luxury category. https://www.kbb.com/...d-image-awards/

Kelly-Bluebook-Brand-Award-Tesla.jpg

Edited by LeoVictoria, 08 April 2020 - 11:03 AM.

#4795 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

Coronavirus is just one more reason to go electric.   Cleaner air reduces people’s susceptibility to respiratory viruses and you don’t have to touch any filthy gas pumps.

Cleaner air - sure, if the electricity generation is clean.  Firing up oil or coal plants to fill your tank with electrons won't help much.  

Also, filthy 'gas' pumps could also be filthy 'electron' pumps.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4796 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

Missed another chance Marko.  TSLA back to $505

And Demuro on the Model Y. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=xAXDcTH6hPw

I don't understand the market right now. Not that long ago a small miss by Tesla on production would send the stock plummeting. Now the factory is shut down and it is going up. Lol

There also has to be weakened demand. I was about the pull the trigger on a Model Y before COVID19 but now I'll just wait till next year. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4797 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:15 PM

Cleaner air - sure, if the electricity generation is clean.  Firing up oil or coal plants to fill your tank with electrons won't help much.  

Unless your electricity is entirely coal (basically nowhere in the world), the air will be a lot cleaner.   Also much easier to scrub one plant for particulates than 100,000 little engines.

Anyone with home charging does not need to use public chargers unless on the rate long road trip.

#4798 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:20 PM

I don't understand the market right now. Not that long ago a small miss by Tesla on production would send the stock plummeting. Now the factory is shut down and it is going up. Lol

There also has to be weakened demand. I was about the pull the trigger on a Model Y before COVID19 but now I'll just wait till next year. 

Stock is down 40% from the peak, mostly due to covid.  That's not nothing. 

Q1 deliveries beat estimates and Model Y is well received.  Giga shanghai seems to be churning out vehicles at a good pace.

Bad time for Tesla, but even if they ran short of cash I don't doubt they can raise more.  The other American automakers may be in worse trouble.

#4799 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:18 PM

...of course bchydro is >90% hydroelectric...

...and the cost of solar panels on the roof is significantly less than yearly gas bill in most cases...on avg. ev "fuel" costs are $2000 less per annum...

#4800 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:20 PM

...of course bchydro is >90% hydroelectric...

...and the cost of solar panels on the roof is significantly less than yearly gas bill in most cases...on avg. ev "fuel" costs are $2000 less per annum...

...of course, I'm talking about the rest of the world where they don't have hydroelectric.

What sort of range does one get charging exclusively from a few solar panels on the roof? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users