Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11621 replies to this topic

#5021 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:53 AM

I think with the cYbErTRuCk looks are definitely deceiving.

I was very sceptical of its attributes at first but it actually has a longer truck bed than the Lightning (5.5 vs 6.5’ for the Tesla), can tow more (10,000 lbs vs a max of 14,000 for the Tesla) and it has as good as if not better clearances with approach angles that appear to be market leading out of the factory. The Tesla also has ultra-durable materials that are unlikely to dent, and it sounds like bullet proof glass?

The Tesla is not ideal in some ways but the specs are impressive for a first entrant. They’ll get better. But I also think the Tesla brand needs to separate out its utility offerings. Truck guys don’t necessarily want to be driving the Apple of pick-ups.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5022 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

Good article. Read through it to find what I was looking for (or rather, not find it) - towing range. I'd need one to be able to tow for 250 miles or so before I'd switch, because that's my main reason for having a truck: Driving range while performing towing or hauling work will likely be a key determinant in the Lightning's success

Edited by lanforod, 20 May 2021 - 08:14 AM.

• rjag likes this

#5023 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, I wouldn’t bank on much over 150 miles on flat terrain at 7,500lbs. And if you’re towing, chances are you’ve got at least one passenger, plus stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5024 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:26 AM

God help anyone who wants to tow the 35' 5th wheel up to Banff or Jasper....

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5025 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,244 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:07 AM

yes your range will be more limited. just like your gasoline range is more limited when towing.

#5026 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:05 PM

The cool thing is if you plan on towing, you can always get dual gas tanks for added range, or a single much larger gas tank than the standard size. It might be more common nowadays to get one larger tank, I think.

Know it all.

#5027 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

The cool thing is if you plan on towing, you can always get dual gas tanks for added range, or a single much larger gas tank than the standard size. It might be more common nowadays to get one larger tank, I think.

If you're buying a new truck, sure; and you'd pay for it. You're better off buying a diesel if you need the range to have a larger gas tank. Then you can just add a transfer tank if you need a lot more range.

#5028 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:37 PM

It's not that expensive, I don't think. 

Would you buy a diesel truck, though? Way more expensive, fuel is now on par, and the mileage savings aren't that great with all of the emissions controls.

Know it all.

#5029 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

You just know that at some point gas stations are going to charge $40-80 for a full charge on a highway in the middle of nowhere.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5030 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:48 PM

Definitely. And just wait for road, transit, and regional taxes to get padded on top.

Know it all.

#5031 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:49 PM

It's not that expensive, I don't think. 

Would you buy a diesel truck, though? Way more expensive, fuel is now on par, and the mileage savings aren't that great with all of the emissions controls.

It's $500 basically for Ford (assuming you have the $4k of prereqs set as well). Not crazy, but it also doesn't add that much. Goes from 24g to 36g. 36g Maybe gets you to 440km towing range from 300km.

At any rate, for many, towing range is a factor. If that 8k lb trailer can only be towed for 200 km, thats a deal breaker for many.  Range is less of an issue for a gas or diesel because you can fill up in 10 minutes and keep going. Can't do that with an electric.

Where an electric shines is for all the in town work vehicles. Also eliminates the need for a genset.

Edited by lanforod, 20 May 2021 - 12:51 PM.

#5032 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

36 gallons? I think you can go up to 48G.

Know it all.

#5033 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

Oh hold on, I'm talking about F350s etc. I think you mean the F150 is 36G max?

Know it all.

#5034 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:56 PM

For a crew cab, 5.5' box it is, at least. Which is what the Lightning will be.

#5035 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, that’s tough. It’ll appeal to the urban market for sure, but you really want that longer wheelbase for towing. Likely the low distance if you’re towing makes it less than desirable for that so they went with 5.5.

Know it all.

#5036 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:55 AM

Lots of luck towing a horse trailer any distance or maybe you are supposed to take out the horses and harness them up to the truck?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5037 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,244 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:03 AM

Lots of luck towing a horse trailer any distance or maybe you are supposed to take out the horses and harness them up to the truck?

the horses run on an electricity-generating treadmill in their special trailer.

• Barrrister likes this

#5038 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:30 AM

Man from 2021: "You know the form of transportation used to traverse mountains?"

Man from 1849: "Yes, the horse. I am familiar".

Man from 2021: "Well, a problem for us in our time is how to carry them over the mountains in a box."

Man from 1849: "?"

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:42 AM

I’d ease him gently into the 400 horses pulling them.

Know it all.

#5040 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

put deposit down on my next electric VW

https://www.vw.ca/en...hicles/id4.html

anybody in the market later this year for a low mileage eGolf?

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users