Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11394 replies to this topic

#5601 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:03 PM

Not zero. But often if your car acts up, they just give you a new replacement.

#5602 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:07 PM

Anyway, just go buy another Lada if you want wider service options, nobody is forcing a Tesla on you.

#5603 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:12 PM

Anyway, just go buy another Lada if you want wider service options, nobody is forcing a Tesla on you.

I would like to see Mike driving a Lada Rapan electric car:

uB8Zcl4.jpg

Nicad batteries, 33 horsepower, 60 mile range.

#5604 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

That looks similar to the old Citified micro that I used to see in Vic West all the time, but more green.

#5605 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:00 PM

Ok, so which mechanic shops in Victoria service broken Teslas. I’m not talking about replacing a window seal, I’m talking about fixing a drive train component.

Why do you have to own a Tesla. Service availability is only one factor in buying a car. I own an EV and take it to the dealer like a regular ICE car for required service once a year. No regular oil changes required, regen braking saves on brake maintenance etc. etc. 

#5606 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:21 PM

I've been lucky with my Tesla in that in 6 yrs/200,000km+ I've never had any major issues and the small items they've repaired at my office or house which is way more convenient than taking it to service. There was a time I booked an inspection for my Tesla as no one had looked at it in over 80,000 km so I just wanted to make sure brakes/suspension were okay. 

It has been far more reliable than any Honda, BMW, or Porsche I've ever owned. Currently I am in week four of waiting on a sensor from Germany for my 4,200 km Porsche and I am lucky with mine as cars built after mine had to have entire engines replaced -> https://www.motor1.c...-models-recall/

All my friends with higher-end brands have had nothing but horror experiences keeping them outside of lease. One friend has an SQ5 and Audi wants $7k to fix a creaking sunroof. He already has $12,000 out of warranty work on it and car only has 130,000 km. Will be complete disaster by 200,000km.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

That looks similar to the old Citified micro that I used to see in Vic West all the time, but more green.

Micro!? It was a Sonic!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5608 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:28 PM

Why do you have to own a Tesla. Service availability is only one factor in buying a car. I own an EV and take it to the dealer like a regular ICE car for required service once a year. No regular oil changes required, regen braking saves on brake maintenance etc. etc.

The rest of them are not very good.

If I were to buy an EV, I’d buy a Tesla, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:36 PM

Looks like CYbErTRuCk will have rear steering like the EV Hummer. 4 motor variant will launch first. From an off-roading perspective that’s bad, or at least not ideal, as in you won’t be able to “lock” the “rear diff.”

For the first time ever Tesla is reacting to competition, it looks like, but without a locking rear diff it is going to upset off-roaders unless the workaround is as effective. Not a lot of discussion on this yet.

Know it all.

#5610 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:43 PM

Apparently EV cars require lots and lots of nickel, they are strip mining rainforests in the Phillipines and plan to double the land they now have to mine more.

https://wrm.org.uy/a...ing-in-palawan/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5611 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 03:28 AM

Looks like CYbErTRuCk will have rear steering like the EV Hummer. 4 motor variant will launch first. From an off-roading perspective that’s bad, or at least not ideal, as in you won’t be able to “lock” the “rear diff.”

For the first time ever Tesla is reacting to competition, it looks like, but without a locking rear diff it is going to upset off-roaders unless the workaround is as effective. Not a lot of discussion on this yet.

Surely a seperate motor for each wheel is more effective that a locking differential.

#5612 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:46 AM

On a serious note, if all the vehicles in BC today were electric would we have the hydro capacity to fuel them? Assume site C is up and running, I am wondering because a friend of mine who is an engineer with BC Hydro says that we are really short of hydro generating capacity especially as more buildings are being heated with electric. 

Is he right or is he just blowing in the wind. I am guessing that a number of people here would have an answer.

Edited by Barrrister, 06 December 2021 - 07:46 AM.

#5613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:59 AM

On a serious note, if all the vehicles in BC today were electric would we have the hydro capacity to fuel them? Assume site C is up and running, I am wondering because a friend of mine who is an engineer with BC Hydro says that we are really short of hydro generating capacity especially as more buildings are being heated with electric. 

Is he right or is he just blowing in the wind. I am guessing that a number of people here would have an answer.

If every car was electric we'd have no need for gas stations.  So each could be converted to a diesel generator to feed power into the grid.   :wave:

Seriously though.  Can't we just add solar as needed?  The only thing stopping us from running the whole BC grid on solar in the daytime is money to buy the panels.  Set the electricity rate high enough and it can be done in a few years, all installed on crown land.

The "problem" is that nobody wants to pay 30 cents per kWh.  Even though they pay even over that in some European countries.

https://www.energyhu...tricity-prices/

https://www.statista...cted-countries/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2021 - 08:10 AM.

#5614 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:03 AM

Vic Watcher: Your answer seems to imply that we dont have enough hydro or more likely you are just having fun. This is a serious question and if anyone has an answer please pipe up. 

#5615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:30 AM

We shouldn’t be looking to places with failed electricity experiments for inspiration. Germany messed up, and now they’re paying for it.

Know it all.

#5616 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:37 AM

MikeK  Do you know if we have the hydro capacity to power all cars in BC?

O thought that this was a simple question with an obvious answer. 

#5617 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:44 AM

Vic Watcher: Your answer seems to imply that we dont have enough hydro or more likely you are just having fun. This is a serious question and if anyone has an answer please pipe up. 

This article says we will probably be fine.  And electrification will not happen all that rapidly, even if every single car sold today was required to be electric.  We need 12-20 years to turn the whole fleet through attrition.  We can add capacity at that pace, as long as the "environmentalists" don't block the builds. 

The distance each UK car travels per year has been slowly dropping, and was 7,400 miles on average in 2019, again according to the UK Department of Transport. An EV will do somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 miles per kWh on average, so let’s go in the middle and say 3.5 miles. In other words, each car will consume an average of 2,114kWh per year. Multiply that by the number of cars, and you get 69.1TWh. But the UK national grid produced 323TWh of power in 2019, so that is only 21.4% of the energy it produced for the year. Before you argue that’s still a problem, the UK grid produced 402TWh in 2005, which is more than the 2019 figure plus charging all the EVs in the UK put together. The capacity is there.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=7abe32f27862

That means an American car, if it were an EV, would need 3,857kWh per year, assuming the average efficiency figures above. If all US cars were EVs, they would need a total of 1,106.6TWh, which is 27.6% of what the American grid produced in 2020. US electricity consumption hasn’t shrunk in the same way since 2005 as it has in the UK, but it is clearly not unfeasible for all American cars to be EVs. The US grid could cope too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#5618 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

It will take 20+ years for everyone to switch to EVs, plus majority of EVs you can charge between 2-5am when load on the grid is lowest. Solar and a few more site Cs, it isn't rocket science. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5619 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:55 AM

VicWatcher: I appreciate the article but it does not address my question at all. I dont think that the article even properly addresses the US unless you want to fire up even more coal plants.

My question is very specific does BC have enough hydro electric power to power all its present needs and also to power all the vehicles in BC. I am assuming Site C is on line but I dont think they are even seriously considering any new dams at the moment.

#5620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:00 AM

I suspect the biggest challenge we face are aging dams. Most of them are from the mid-20th century.

The scenario that is more than likely to play out is rising electricity rates, high second and third tier rates, plus significant taxes added to EV charging (EVs are -very- heavy, and they will cause more damage to roads over the long term than comparable ICE vehicles).

Moving forward I fully expect more homes to implement solar and wind technologies at-source for partial recovery, but our problem is we can get an extremely low solar generation rate October-April, and the panels require maintenance, and if you want to bank the energy, you’ll need a complex battery array that also has a shelf life of only several years.

In 10 years it might turn out that heating homes with wood is the most economically feasible choice.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)