Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#5881 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:02 PM

They don’t look pretty. But the mine itself is hardly a blip on the environment. Say compared to the area covered by paved roads worldwide.

True. But that is also part of my point. That "environmentalism" is used to market buying new stuff. It's not actually that. To me it is useful to look at industry from a sustainable and integrated perspective. that is also not done. I fished on a boat out of sook 40 years ago. That industry has had to move further north in such a short time. I remember seeing the clear-cuts up north right down to the beach when out of the public eye. So many spawning grounds destroyed by that industry. This is an example of not looking at things holistically. We slide into the classic "two choice" trap. Environmentalist or not. It keeps us from looking at the problem. We are human. We modify the environment for our very survival. How we do it cold be done better. 

Anyway. I think the EV is a better platform for a vehicle. I like it a lot better as a platform for my power tools that is for sure. I just don't think it is a saviour of the environment.... 

#5882 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

I promise to once you stop buying brand new cars every three years!

four years...but who's counting...other than you!  ;-)

#5883 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

four years...but who's counting...other than you!  ;-)

Me, and all the children you've stolen futures from.

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

• rjag and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5884 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 07:45 PM

Ooooh a mine. So? Is that more destructive than a natural volcano or storm or glacier?

But it is mining rare earth elements to put in your EV.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5885 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:37 PM

Is there a benefit to those rare earth elements staying in the earth?

#5886 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:03 AM

Change has come to Europe, and more Europeans than ever are ready to go electric. According to data the Financial Times compiled with auto analyst Matthias Schmidt and published earlier this week, electric cars outsold diesel-powered vehicles for the first time in December 2021 in 18 European countries. In Western Europe, car buyers purchased 176,000 new EVs compared to 160,000 diesels. That boils down to a 20% market share for EVs, and less than a 19% share for diesels.

An important distinction here is that this only looks at battery-electric cars. This is not a combined figure for electrified vehicles, which includes hybrids, plug-in hybrids and EVs. Past data showed electrified car sales as a whole overtook diesels back in September 2020.

Diesel became the preferred fuel of choice across Europe thanks to decades of subsidies for the fuel. They include a cheaper fuel tax to create artificially cheaper fuel compared to gasoline. However, many European nations have begun to incentivize EV purchases and the European Union ramping up its emissions regulations has expedited the introduction of zero-emissions cars from numerous automakers. Nations across the Atlantic also plan to phase in a ban on new cars powered by the internal-combustion engine as soon as 2030 in some cases.

https://www.cnet.com...diesels-europe/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2022 - 12:04 AM.

#5887 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:43 AM

Audi RS Etron Gt getting full PPF and Ceramic before delivery

Attached Images

• 20220120_180636406_iOS.jpg
  • 20220120_180645972_iOS.jpg

• sebberry, Victoria Watcher and Tom Braybrook like this

#5888 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:49 AM

What’s the going rate for ceramic and PPF these days?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5889 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:51 AM

all depends on the prep work which is the most labour intensive. Full wrap is more important than ceramic and could run around $2500-$4k

#5890 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:56 AM

Indeed it is. Ok, so $5-6k is sounds like, all said and done.

Know it all.

#5891 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:10 AM

I still don't get the wraps....my 6 yr old Tesla 215,000 km -> https://www.youtube....OvREYaME&t=172s

What would have investing in wrap done? Sure the front bumper would look a bit better but someone hit me the other day while standing still at a red light so car now needs a new bumper anyway. Warp wouldn't have helped. Not to mention at 215,000 km my seat and other components are showing age. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 21 January 2022 - 09:15 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5892 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:14 AM

As for the RS, amazing. Would snap one up for 100k but 180k, no thanks. That is like the price of a Model Y plus a Cayman 4.0 for a weekender. 

#5893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:18 AM

I guess on darker cars it can lessen the amount of visual wear and tear from small scuffs and scratches that show up easily.

These wraps are self-healing, right rjag?
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#5894 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:20 AM

Yup they self heal. Some folks appreciate what they drive and want to protect the appearance of their toys! There was a 22 911 Turbo S in getting the full wrap and ceramic treatment, it’s close to $250k so spending $6-7k on it is pretty justifiable.
The Audi looked great!
  • Mike K. likes this

#5895 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 11:08 AM

Some cars have paint that is notoriously soft.  I've got a nice scratch on mine from where a garden hose smacked it.  I've never once used a car wash brush on it and aside from the door handles, even I don't touch any of the painted surfaces. :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5896 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

Yup they self heal. Some folks appreciate what they drive and want to protect the appearance of their toys! There was a 22 911 Turbo S in getting the full wrap and ceramic treatment, it’s close to $250k so spending $6-7k on it is pretty justifiable.
The Audi looked great!

People are wrapping 55k Model 3s and justifying it as producting their "investment." It is depreciating asset whether you wrap it or not. Not one is going to give a **** if I had my 300,000 km Tesla wrapped or not when I go to sell it. 

If you are obsessed with your car, sure. For me, I love cars but at the end of the day it is a piece of metal. If my car gets a scratch/scuff I don't lose sleep over it. 

• lanforod likes this

#5897 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:05 PM

...and pretty much any car that gets driven is going to get scratched or scuffed at some point. Each to their own, but IMHO there are far better things in life to stress over.

#5898 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:18 PM

The sort of folks who drive around not caring if they scuff up their car are not the sort of folks I want to share the road with :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5899 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

There is a difference between 'not caring' and 'being realistic about what you can really control'.

#5900 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:25 PM

Back in the day, people would put plastic covers over their sofa to keep it from getting dirty.

Only if really important company was coming would the plastic be removed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users