Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11599 replies to this topic

#7081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:38 AM

I don't follow but I've never been in Step 2 either. Let say step one is 1000 kwhs and a family consumes 1000 kwhs per month for their home (heating, lighting, etc.). They buy an EV which now requires 200 kwhs putting them at 1,200 kwhs so they are in Step 2 for 200 kwhs.

Why would it matter if they hit step two let's say on January 23rd? They are still going to end the month at 1,200 kwhs either way. The Step 2 is directly correlated to the EV?

Think of the EV as pushing past the threshold faster than a household would otherwise.

You’re not adding the charge to the butt-end of your billing, you’re adding it during the billing cycle.

In my case, I hover each month just below tier 2, thanks to my wood stove. If I charged an EV, it would push me past tier 1 and then all household use is billed at tier 2.

It’s no big deal for me, but it is in a family household that currently uses 2,000kwh every two months. Add 400-500khw for an EV and they’ll cross the 1,350kwh threshold much faster, and pay tier two for more electricity.

You’re penalized as soon as you switch up to tier 2.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7082 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:48 AM

Wood stove saves me hundreds over the winter, for sure. If we had only electric heat we would be even further into tier 2.

It can get very expensive.

#7083 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:54 AM

Think of the EV as pushing past the threshold faster than a household would otherwise.

You’re not adding the charge to the butt-end of your billing, you’re adding it during the billing cycle.

In my case, I hover each month just below tier 2, thanks to my wood stove. If I charged an EV, it would push me past tier 1 and then all household use is billed at tier 2.

It’s no big deal for me, but it is in a family household that currently uses 2,000kwh every two months. Add 400-500khw for an EV and they’ll cross the 1,350kwh threshold much faster, and pay tier two for more electricity.

You’re penalized as soon as you switch up to tier 2.

I still don't understand why it would matter where you hover? The billing cycle is 2 months. How I understand is the Step 1 and Step 2 is based on two months' consumption not on daily/weekly consumption.

Yes, the EV takes you into step 2 but it doesn't increase what you were paying for heating/lighting/etc. Your are still paying Step 1 for all of that and Step 2 for the EV. If you want to think about it along the lines of you hit Step 2 sooner for everything then you aren't charging the EV at Step 2 costs either, you are charging the EV at Step 1 until you hit Step 2. However, I don't think this second example is the right way of looking at it. 

If you buy a rental property that puts you into a higher tax bracket you pay more taxes are you really paying more taxes on your primary job? 

Edited by MarkoJ, 16 January 2023 - 09:57 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#7084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

The billing is calculated daily, so as soon as you cross over, all of your billing is now 50% higher.

This means if a cold snap happens once you've crossed over, you're then paying 50% more for heat. But without the EV pushing you over, you would have still been billed under tier 1 rates.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7085 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

Anecdotes.

Rarely happens.

My great great grandfather went back to horses.  Cars had so little personality.

It's not an anecdote. It's hard data - of one. I am an eye witness to this account. So you at least need to adjust your misinformation from "no one ever" to "almost no one ever" or it's off to the re-education camps for you! 

• Matt R. likes this

#7086 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,502 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:08 AM

The billing is calculated daily, so as soon as you cross over, all of your billing is now 50% higher.

This means if a cold snap happens once you've crossed over, you're then paying 50% more for heat. But without the EV pushing you over, you would have still been billed under tier 1 rates.

I don't think this is how it works Mike. I think it is like taxes. It is the overage that is billed at the higher rate. I could be wrong. Will have a look.

• Ismo07 likes this

#7087 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

If we go back to my 1000 kwh + 200 kwh example. If there is a coldsnap and you spend an extra 400 kwh to heat you are looking at 1400 kwh + 200 kwh. You would have paid Step 2 anyway on the 400 kwh without the EV. As a result of the EV you paid Step 2 on the extra 200 kwhs it used. 

#7088 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Only above the tier 1 you would, not for all your electricity.

#7089 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

I don't think this is how it works Mike. I think it is like taxes. It is the overage that is billed at the higher rate. I could be wrong. Will have a look.

https://app.bchydro....tial-rates.html

• dasmo likes this

#7090 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:14 AM

It’s not calculated daily.

Customers are charged one rate for electricity up to a certain threshold in each billing period, and a higher rate for all electricity use beyond that threshold. This "stepped" rate is designed to encourage conservation.

https://app.bchydro....tial-rates.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 January 2023 - 10:15 AM.

#7091 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:17 AM

On my billing report it's a daily use/cost figure, and it shows how close I am to hitting Tier 2.

Once you hit Tier 2, the rate adjusts higher on a daily basis. The faster you cross that threshold, the more you end up paying. So the key is to delay crossing over in your billing cycle by as long as possible. An EV pushes you over that threshold faster, so more of your electrical usage is billed under Tier 2.

Is that not how it works?

Know it all.

#7092 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:22 AM

Step 2 kicks in after you use the first 1,350kwh in the roughy 60-day billing cycle.

It doesn’t really matter how much you use on specific days.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 January 2023 - 10:24 AM.

#7093 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:23 AM

Is that not what I'm saying?

Once you pass the threshold, you pay more. The faster you pass it, the more you pay for the remainder of your billing cycle.

Know it all.

#7094 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:29 AM

Is that not what I'm saying?

Once you pass the threshold, you pay more. The faster you pass it, the more you pay for the remainder of your billing cycle.

Does anyone not pass the threshold? Seems pretty low to me unless you live in a box.

#7095 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:31 AM

In 2021, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,632 kilowatthours (kWh), an average of about 886 kWh per month.

^ USA stats.

#7096 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:00 PM

I don’t have gas, but I have a wood stove. I end every billing period just a touch below tier 2. If I had to heat with hydro my monthly bill would be $300-350, or $600-$700 per bill. That’s nuts.

Know it all.

#7097 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:02 PM

I don’t have gas, but I have a wood stove. I end every billing period just a touch below tier 2. If I had to heat with hydro my monthly bill would be $300-350, or $600-$700 per bill. That’s nuts.

Are you thinking if you go 1 kW over your entire bill is at the tier 2 rate?

#7098 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:21 PM

West Vancouver police are investigating the sudden acceleration of a Tesla that resulted in the vehicle slamming into a B.C. Ferries ramp at Horseshoe Bay terminal, causing it to break in two last Saturday.

Sgt. Mark McLean, a spokesperson for West Vancouver Police Department, told Glacier Media the driver and passenger were both taken to hospital for non-life threatening injuries and are cooperating with the investigation.

“It looks like it was trying to board a ferry and suddenly accelerated into the gate, basically destroying the Tesla,” said McLean.

B.C. Ferries spokesperson Deborah Marshall said the incident occurred at a closed gate at one of the berths. Paramedics arrived at the scene and took the passengers to the hospital, she said.

“Our thoughts are with the driver and passenger. We are fully supporting the West Vancouver police investigation into the incident as they determine the cause,” said Marshall.

“There was no vessel in the berth at the time of the incident. The vehicle was not attempting to board a ferry. Due to damage to the gate, the berth was closed for the remainder of the day,” said Marshall.

Typically, in order for a vehicle to get to the ferry ramps it would have to have been authorized to board a ferry, so it remains unclear if the vehicle was intending to board at another ramp but ended up accelerating toward one that had no ferry.

https://www.timescol...-in-two-6385720

#7099 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:24 PM

Doesn't exactly look 'snapped in two', but yeh... reason #4 I like having a clutch pedal.  

The more automated these cars become, the more they really need a reliable mechanical disconnect.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:26 PM

They have absolutely reliable disconnects. Apply the brake or move the steering wheel and any automated movement is completely disabled.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 January 2023 - 02:26 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)