Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11594 replies to this topic

#7901 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:22 AM

I wonder how long until governments start implementing a road tax based off of vehicle km travelled and vehicle mass.

#7902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,061 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:24 AM

I wonder how long until governments start implementing a road tax based off of vehicle km travelled and vehicle mass.

I think they would if they knew how to accurately measure and capture that.  And prevent anyone gaming it.  Insurance companies have not even figured out how to do that, over the past 100 years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 09:25 AM.

#7903 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:02 AM

If they do that, yogurt and bike chain grease will rise in cost. Trucks and buses blow passenger cars out of the water, with their impact on roads magnitudes times worse than an armada of cars, collectively.

You can have cars drive a road for decades without needing a resurfacing. A single construction site at the end of that road, requiring trucks to come and go every day for a year, will chew through it in no time.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7904 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:04 AM

If they do that, yogurt and bike chain grease will rise in cost. Trucks and buses blow passenger cars out of the water, with their impact on roads magnitudes times worse than an armada of cars, collectively.

You can have cars drive a road for decades without needing a resurfacing. A single construction site at the end of that road, requiring trucks to come and go every day for a year, will chew through it in no time.

Indeed.  The disparity is immense.

https://map.toronto....=TorontoMaps_v2

screenshot-www.insidescience.org-2023.05.12-14_05_14.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#7905 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:13 AM

I'd say scrap the road tax collected at the pump, and instead collect it when you go to renew your insurance (if I'm correct you have to send in your odometer reading anyway when you go to renew). I think if you have a decently efficient vehicle the road tax comes to about 1 or 2 cents per km. So that would probably be a good place to start.

#7906 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:34 AM

Gladly!!! That would be a amazing for everyone driving a V6-12. How do you prove actual efficiency, though? My V8 with gets better mileage than a poorly maintained, old four cylinder. Some V6s (most!) get same or worse mileage than their V8 counterparts, especially when towing, or if there are more passengers than normal. Lots of variables to consider, making the gas tax the most practical.

Right now a little four banger pays 18 cents per km in fuel. About half is taxes. So 1-2 cents per kilometre doesn’t cut it.

Re insurance: You don’t have to provide your odometer reading annually, but as of the last few years if you hardly drive and purchase annual insurance, you get a few bucks back when you renew next year. It’s not very much.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7907 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:37 AM

Re insurance: You don’t have to provide your odometer reading annually, but as of the last few years if you hardly drive and purchase annual insurance, you get a few bucks back when you renew next year. It’s not very much.

You do submit your odometer reading to claim the 10% ICBC discount for those travelling less than 5,000 km.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 10:38 AM.

#7908 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:39 AM

Yes, that’s what I said. And it’s not 10% on your gross insurance, but “select optional” coverage.

It’s a few bucks.

Know it all.

#7909 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:42 AM

Oh, I see.  I think the only time a reading is required is when you sell the vehicle, but not sure if anyone checks that for accuracy either, you just put it on the transfer form.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 10:46 AM.

#7910 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:43 AM

Nobody checks, that is correct.

Odd honour system we have, ripe for abuse but it generally doesn’t happen.

Know it all.

#7911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:44 AM

Oh, and for the insurance odo reader they ask for photo proof.

Know it all.

#7912 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:47 AM

I think when I did my calculations for the 1 or 2 cents per km it was based off vehicles weighing around 2000 to 3000 lbs so depending on how they want to go about it they could either scale it linearly or as some sort of function to give semi trucks a break.

#7913 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:48 AM

Oh, I see.  I think the only time a reading is required is when you sell the vehicle, but not sure if anyone checks that for accuracy either, you just put it on the transfer form.

I sold a car once for a very low price.  The clerk at the insurance agency questioned it.  I said, come on out, take a look (I was with the buyer).  She looked at it, then agreed it was a junker.

I also had insurance for a vehicle that had "no" in the field for colour.  Cop pulled me over once and said he'd never seen a vehicle with no colour.  To be fair, if was sort of an off-white, but not quite beige.  Maybe that's no colour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 11:04 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7914 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:58 AM

I think when I did my calculations for the 1 or 2 cents per km it was based off vehicles weighing around 2000 to 3000 lbs so depending on how they want to go about it they could either scale it linearly or as some sort of function to give semi trucks a break.

Why give semi trucks a break? They cause all the damage, delivering bike tires, etc.

Know it all.

#7915 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 11:02 AM

The big players are stumbling so badly here.

Material sourcing is becoming a major hurdle, and the implications of vehicle weight is causing headaches in its own right. Can parking garages even handle a doubling of weight? What is road maintenance going to look like when every car weighs 4,000lbs to 10,000lbs? There are so many implications, and we’ve only got 11.5 years to pull it all off.

It’s looking more and more unrealistic.

Nothing a little more carbon tax can’t fix.

#7916 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:39 AM

How an 'energizer bunny,' cheeseburgers and $14 billion helped Canada woo Volkswagen

The $14-billion deal that will see Volkswagen, the world's largest automaker, set up a manufacturing presence in Canada for the first time in history, took a year of negotiations on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

Ya, OK.  I guess it would have cost taxpayers $16 billion if not for those cheeseburgers.   :whyme:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2023 - 05:40 AM.

#7917 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 05:50 AM

Trudeau turned a $7 billion bitumen pipeline into a $31 billion pipeline that’s still not finished. So we can use all the savings we can get, with the EV deal.

Know it all.

#7918 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,061 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:01 AM

One of the world's largest automakers has stopped construction on an electric vehicle battery plant in Windsor, Ont., saying the federal government has not delivered on what was promised.

Stellantis, which makes Chrysler, Ram and Fiat cars among others, and South Korean battery-maker LG Energy Solution announced the $5-billion plant last year and said it was expected to create 2,500 jobs.

All levels of government were to provide financial support in the pending deal, but Stellantis now says the federal government "has not delivered on what was agreed to."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...stops-1.6843669

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2023 - 08:01 AM.

#7919 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 09:50 AM

Frig off, Stellantis. Ricky needs to fund the pipeline.
  • Matt R. and Fox like this

Know it all.

#7920 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 09:18 PM

Man’s gotta eat, Stellantis!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher