Sidewalking Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1257 replies to this topic

#481 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

^that was US and without collage. If our business model as a society is to make the new born children fund it when they are adults, well then we are pretty much £@€<£□ then aren't we.

Not how it should work.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#482 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

^^All I am saying is that we need to be considerate of what we are taking down. You could argue Todd House in Oak Bay or Craigflower Manor or Fort Rodd Hill could all be torn down to make way for higher density (which I strongly support) but Pluto's is one of a handful of buildings representating an entire architectural movement in the city and we are barely giving a second thought to it. What about Denny's when it is the last one? I don't know, I think we can increase density elsewhere to keep a couple buildings here and there.

It’s just the “tod” house not todd totally different. They found a suspicious corpse when they tried digging up the old oil tank don’t know if you really want to open up that hornets nest.

#483 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:09 AM

Thanks Todd 😀You would be the expert for sure.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:29 AM

the found an old hornet’s nest too?

#485 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

no it doesn't, I am paying for my own retirement right now, we seem to forget that. Thus why I support private individual retirement packages that are locked in by the government, not these steal my money cause the government stole it to pay deficits, and now has to make up ground BS. Look, I am fine with public schools and the such, but cone on... not my job to pay for EVERYTHING for your kid. After all, with this cycle, they are just going to he dependent on someone else's kid.

Pretty sure you need those kids to be paying taxes while you're retired to help keep the rest of the country running as well. It's not just about your retirement.

I do agree on the stupid CPP... but the reason it exists is because a lot of Canadians aren't financially savvy enough to save for their own retirement.

#486 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

I don't know, I think we can increase density elsewhere to keep a couple buildings here and there.

So how would you accomplish it in this case? And if we do something innovative here then how do we account for our collective failure to do something innovative to save hundreds of other buildings and houses in the CoV over the decades?

I think the only way we could expect this place to be saved is by relocating it. I have no problem with that (giving the developer some sort of bonus for doing it, I mean), but where could it be put? Maybe Clover Point? I might like that, depending on how the whole thing is handled.

#487 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

Or maybe it could be relocated on this very site, as I suggested earlier.

#488 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

I think relocation would be a great option. People have to start the conversation though.

It has a whole new look!

#489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

Pretty sure you need those kids to be paying taxes while you're retired to help keep the rest of the country running as well. It's not just about your retirement.

I do agree on the stupid CPP... but the reason it exists is because a lot of Canadians aren't financially savvy enough to save for their own retirement.

But after paying those taxes for over 45-years, you're not likely to recoup that investment for more than 17-years, statistically speaking.

You're also paying those taxes when you need the money the most, while receiving the benefits when you're least likely to have large expenses (a mortgage, car payments, travel, etc.).

It's a pretty lame duck of an investment to push onto people who are not savvy with their money. A little bit of financial literacy taught in our schools would be more meaningful than giving the government hundreds of thousands of your earnings for the CPP, only to get a little stream of taxable income back once you're retired.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#490 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Populations are going down in North America, we are never going to see enough children born here naturally to support the government machine, why do you think immigration is being touted so much as needed? We are not "producing" new tax payers at a high enough rate to keep up with the output requirements of government spending.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#491 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

Sorry for the low-resolution of the Mayfair Lanes photos. Regarding the design, as you can see it was painted white and purple. Earlier it was painted blue and white and you can see some of the blue paint on the south side of the building in one of the pictures.

But the original tile underneath the paint was white and sparkly gold. I discovered this after I managed to pull a surviving chunk out of the wreckage following demolition. 

I believe if Mayfair Lanes' white and gold tiles had been known and uncovered the building's fate might have been different than what happened when it was known for its garish faded and chipped purple scheme.

Similarly, I recently had another look at Pluto's and realized that under that shabby paint job lies a smart, modern building. I particularly like the windows that tilt forward at the top. I wish this was taken over by a hipper owner, like Paul's Restaurant has. 

If a cookie-cutter condo goes up here it will be our loss.

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 June 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#492 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

I remembered this one too late to have included in the article's list of early 60s modernism. The General Paint building, designed in 1963 by R.W. Siddall.

Capture.JPG

#493 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

Googie is usually differentiated from common modernist architecture by the use of whimsical ornamentation and varied angles, things that are forbidden by strict adherents of classic modernism.

I think there are a few examples in Victoria but nowhere near as wacky as in Los Angeles.

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 June 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#494 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,757 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

...The General Paint building, designed in 1963 by R.W. Siddall...

I'd love to see that facade retained if a new structure were proposed behind it.

#495 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

I remembered this one too late to have included in the article's list of early 60s modernism. The General Paint building, designed in 1963 by R.W. Siddall.

Too funny I actually did a whole bunch of photos of this one and just didn't include it because I thought I was going too far anyways. It is a great building. 

It has a whole new look!

#496 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Here are a couple of them.

Attached Images

• DSCN6550.JPG
  • DSCN6551.JPG

It has a whole new look!

#497 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Googie is usually differentiated from common modernist architecture by the use of whimsical ornamentation and varied angles, things that are forbidden by strict adherents of classic modernism.

I think there are a few examples in Victoria but nowhere near as wacky as in Los Angeles.

No reason to discard what we have though. 

It has a whole new look!

#498 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

The latest post is up on Sidewalking, this time I look at Royal Athletic Park and how it could be made even better.

https://www.sidewalk...oked-city-jewel
  • grantpalin likes this

It has a whole new look!

#499 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

The latest post is up on Sidewalking, this time I look at Royal Athletic Park and how it could be made even better.

As someone who was at RAP for Victoria United and later Victoria HIghlanders (yes they played there a couple of years) I have spent lots of time thinking how best to improve the park.

To add to your good suggestions: build a stand over the sidewalk on Cook St. An arcade covering the sidewalk would allow the maximum seating area inside the stadium without losing any sidewalk.

At the corner of Cook and Caledonia, where a tiny, pointless parking space exists, build an outward-facing pub that includes an inward-facing patio to create a VIP club atmosphere for games. The facility could also be used for watching away games on TV and general providing ongoing  revenue and helping to define the village that has developed in that part of Cook St.

• grantpalin likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#500 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

I love that pub idea. I agree that is completely wasted space right now. I would really love to see RAP be home for another soccer team.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users