Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3201 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:34 PM

Geoghegan story in Vic News makes passing reference to the JAM statue sculptor having briefly considered a run for mayor.

What is going on?? Was there a forum at the convention centre where the mayor gave $20 to anyone who would agree to run against her?
  • Nparker likes this

#3202 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:44 PM

If I was a huge Helps supporter I'd go out and register my self to run against her on an anti-bike lane and tough-on-crime platform while talking about canadian values and financial responsibility a lot.  Just keep splitting that anti-helps vote.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3203 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think many people on this forum really underestimate just how left wing Victoria is. Last election Fortin and Helps got 75% of the vote. Helps ran a fairly centrist campaign and I know many Fortin supporters were worried that she was a neoliberal. Other than being pro-development, she has turned out to be quite progressive in government, so she will easily pick up all those Fortin votes. She has certainly lost some centre-right votes, but those voters are just as likely to stay home as to support another candidate. Hammond's path to victory is extremely narrow.

• Rob Randall, John M. and nerka like this

#3204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

victoria news devotes a sentence or two to MG’s personal real estate situation but spectacularly fails to tell us where he lives or what kind of property he rents in victoria

#3205 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

I think most don't really understand what Isitt is about and just how left he is.  Big difference between being progressive, compassionate, human being who wishes to be environmentally sensible and a zealot who would happily take what others have earned to give to those who have no desire to contribute in any way and who would prefer that choices be constrained to the point of limiting reasonable freedoms.

Hey Juno. You seem to have some valuable insight into how all this works. Any chance we'll yet see your name on the ballot?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

I think many people on this forum really underestimate just how left wing Victoria is. Last election Fortin and Helps got 75% of the vote. Helps ran a fairly centrist campaign and I know many Fortin supporters were worried that she was a neoliberal. Other than being pro-development, she has turned out to be quite progressive in government, so she will easily pick up all those Fortin votes. She has certainly lost some centre-right votes, but those voters are just as likely to stay home as to support another candidate. Hammond's path to victory is extremely narrow.

That 75% is more-so the result of there only being two credible candidates in the last election and both landing on the same side of the spectrum.

Stephen Andrew announced too late and couldn't build up the necessary support, plus there was the issue of a rookie politician going straight for the jugular that some didn't like. Hammond will face the same criticism and some won't vote for him just because he's never served.

Further to that, that 75% are now fully aware of what a truly far left candidate represents. The last four years have soured many a left-wing and/or NDP voter who put their vote behind someone who they thought would be a little more edgier than Fortin.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3207 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:00 PM

Stephen Andrew announced too late and couldn't build up the necessary support, plus there was the issue of a rookie politician going straight for the jugular that some didn't like. Hammond will face the same criticism and some won't vote for him just because he's never served.

Do any of the challengers have any form of governmental experience? Have they ever sat through a council or committee meeting? I'm seeing an awful lot of newbies. I recognize only Mike Geoghegan as having experience through his government consulting gigs and his time on a Langford planning and zoning committee. 

#3208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

I don't think any of them have experience as politicians.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

I don't think any of them have experience as politicians.

How many politicians have political experience before becoming politicians?

#3210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

Before becoming mayor of the CoV? I’m not entirely sure.

Know it all.

#3211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

stew young became a councillor then in under 2 years was the mayor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 September 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#3212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

I'm not talking elected experience; I mean any governmental experience that is a traditional stepping stone to elected office: Board of Variance, various committees, community association, police board etc.--basically anything connected to City Hall. 

If you've been none of those and think you deserve the mayor's chair--you need to give your head a shake. 

• Coreyburger, Jared, John M. and 1 other like this

#3213 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

While ideally local political experience should be a prerequisite to becoming mayor, when none of the incumbents have proven themselves to be qualified*, I think an exception is warranted.

*after the nearly unanimous cowardice shown at the JAM vote, I don't see any of the current council as having the aptitude to be mayor

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#3214 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

Leitenberg seems to be at least lifting a finger in the campaign. Quite a few signs around Fairfield which is where he lives and operates a business.

Based on his website I'd peg him as centre with a side of NIMBY. Other than the NIMBY he seems pretty reasonable. Potentially a better candidate than some of the challengers.

But if you knock on those doors and see who owns them, you'll find it's Mr. Leitenberg's property portfolio. One of them is actually empty. 

#3215 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Could McGuigan split the vote with Helps? Is he centre-left enough? What about Sean Leitenburg? Where’s he on the scale?

Yes, he is indeed centre left, unlike Hammond whose campaign manager used to work for Stephen Harper. 

McGuigan's official launch will take place this weekend from his campaign office. The door knocking will follow :)

#3216 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

I caught Mike Geoghegan's announcement today on YouTube live.  Me and 2 other people.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3217 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

I have a feeling there should be a summary wrap up for today for those people getting home from work right now and don't have time to wade through six pages of posts.

#3218 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

I'm not talking elected experience; I mean any governmental experience that is a traditional stepping stone to elected office: Board of Variance, various committees, community association, police board etc.--basically anything connected to City Hall. 

If you've been none of those and think you deserve the mayor's chair--you need to give your head a shake. 

Especially anything to do with zoning. If you haven't been a member of CALUC (or been a perennial watcher of them), not sure you know what it is like to be yelled at while being a councillor.

• Rob Randall likes this

#3219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

I have a feeling there should be a summary wrap up for today for those people getting home from work right now and don't have time to wade through six pages of posts.

Good idea.

Mike Geoghegan has announced he is running for mayor. He still has his Saanich council website up.

Meanwhile the VV Facebook poll that pitched Hammond against Helps landed the former with 82% support.

Sean Leitenburg has begun putting up signs (allegedly many of which are on his properties) and Bruce McGuigen will be formally launching his campaign in the coming days.

[Edited]

Know it all.

#3220 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

on MG:

https://thebreaker.n...allenges-helps/

• Stephen Andrew likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users