Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3181 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:56 AM

Michael Geoghegan's announcement says we need to end NIMBYism. Easy for him to say, if you live in Saanich and run for Mayor of Victoria, then nothing is really in your backyard.  :)

/have I mentioned that I would never vote for a mayor who lives somewhere else?

• Nparker and jonny like this

#3182 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

Yeah the city seems to have a few key political axis that don't always fit onto the simplistic left-right.

You have the very important but less in recent years (remember when local politics was almost entirely about the fight against nimby's and height?) "Development Axis"

You have the increasingly important "Homeless/Social Axis"

And you have the emerging "Transport Axis"

Local politics are definitely different than national politics (and left/right is overly simplistic even at the national level). I think the three axis you mention, along with maybe "financial prudence" are a pretty good model.

#3183 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

But prop rep doesnt work in a single seat race such as a Mayors seat. Is there another way that I am not seeing?

Maybe we slice up the Mayor's term and let each candidate be mayor for the percentage of the vote they got?

So if you got 39.7% of the vote, you get to be mayor for 553 days and 8 hours (assuming a 4 year term) and then have to hand off to a different candidate.

Edited by Jason-L, 05 September 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#3184 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

What are the rules for a resident to have a bunch of campaign signs made that say to VOTE NO to the current council and mayor (or whatever specific language) and then to put them all over the city.  Is that allowed?  Basically a negative campaign? 

#3185 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

Maybe we slice up the Mayor's term and let each candidate be mayor for the percentage of the vote they got?

So if you got 39.7% of the vote, you get to be mayor for 553 days and 8 hours (assuming a 4 year term) and then have to hand off to a different candidate.

Three and a half days of David Shebib, over two weeks of Changes the Clown.

• Nparker likes this

#3186 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

Three and a half days of David Shebib, over two weeks of Changes the Clown.

If the CoV can survive 4 years of Lisa Helps the above scenario should be a cakewalk.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#3187 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:20 AM

What are the rules for a resident to have a bunch of campaign signs made that say to VOTE NO to the current council and mayor (or whatever specific language) and then to put them all over the city.  Is that allowed?  Basically a negative campaign? 

You could. 3rd parties are allowed to spend up to a certain amount per riding.

#3188 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

Yeah I have long thought about doing some "Anyone but Issit" type of flyer mail-our campaign highlighting just how radical he is, but I fear in Victoria it might make him MORE popular not less

• Nparker likes this

#3189 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

Yeah I have long thought about doing some "Anyone but Issit" type of flyer mail-our campaign highlighting just how radical he is, but I fear in Victoria it might make him MORE popular not less

Yes, it would likely backfire spectacularly. People like him for what you think are faults. Even if you were successful the best you could do is maybe knock him down to third most popular. You'd be better off putting your efforts into some other endeavor. 

Capture.JPG

#3190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yes, it would likely backfire spectacularly. People like him for what you think are faults...

I will never understand Isitt's popularity.

• rjag likes this

#3191 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

You could take a more positive slant and run a campaign to help Ben find his first real job!
  • rjag likes this

#3192 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

You could take a more positive slant and run a campaign to help Ben find his first real job!

Could someone start a gofundme campaign to fund permanent positions for the current mayor and counc Isitt at UVic? Some sort of progressive policy thinktank type of thing with no need to ever achive real results, that sort of thing? Basically disincentivize them from seeking office.
  • rjag and Pam like this

#3193 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

He’d have to take Jeremy as part of the deal

#3194 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

Could McGuigan split the vote with Helps? Is he centre-left enough? What about Sean Leitenburg? Where’s he on the scale?

Leitenberg seems to be at least lifting a finger in the campaign. Quite a few signs around Fairfield which is where he lives and operates a business.

Based on his website I'd peg him as centre with a side of NIMBY. Other than the NIMBY he seems pretty reasonable. Potentially a better candidate than some of the challengers.

#3195 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

Some sort of ranked choice - where the bottom person is knocked off and their votes redistributed. Used most recently in that bastion of liberal thinking, the Conservative Party's leadership election.

Better than the NDP system of a ranked ballot and if no 1st ballot winner do another vote a week later... until finally a 50%+ winner. Why not just do it the way the Conservatives did and rank it right off the bat? It was moot because Singh won on first ballot, but it may not have been.

#3196 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:31 PM

I will never understand Isitt's popularity.

I mean, the city is full of self-professed tree-huggers and bleeding hearts... I'm actually surprised there aren't more Isitt clones.

#3197 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

I mean, the city is full of self-professed tree-huggers and bleeding hearts... I'm actually surprised there aren't more Isitt clones.

I think most don't really understand what Isitt is about and just how left he is.  Big difference between being progressive, compassionate, human being who wishes to be environmentally sensible and a zealot who would happily take what others have earned to give to those who have no desire to contribute in any way and who would prefer that choices be constrained to the point of limiting reasonable freedoms.

• Nparker, rjag, LJ and 6 others like this

#3198 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

I think most don't really understand what Isitt is about and just how left he is...

Agreed. Ben Isitt is a communist. If he thought he could announce this publicly and maintain his current level of popularity I am sure he would say it himself.

#3199 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

There's still such an opportunity for someone to have a good run at a Council seat. The appetite for change is there, and we already know we'll have at least two new faces with Coleman and Lucas gone. Good to see Stephen formally in...he has one of my votes, for sure.

**cough**Awaiting Juno**cough**Rob Randall**cough

Yeah, sure, that's what Victoria needs--another Saanich resident running for Victoria. We could have council meetings out here as it would save us all a lot of commuting time.

#3200 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

Yes, it would likely backfire spectacularly. People like him for what you think are faults. Even if you were successful the best you could do is maybe knock him down to third most popular. You'd be better off putting your efforts into some other endeavor. 

Capture.JPG

maybe he's going for both.. and is secretly trying to amalgamate Victoria and Saanich  (on a completely unrelated note.. i love how my spell checker tells me Saanich is spelled wrong and the only suggestion it gives me is "satanic")

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users