Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3421 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

Edison Kahakauwila, would this be someone from the luxury car and limo driver service company?

Owns L.A. Limo and married to a Metchosin councilor. Have we ever had someone on council live as far away as Metchosin?Is there a conflict of interest when discussing regional issues if you are married to a councilor in another jurisdiction? 

So this race is just gonna be incumbents versus Together Vic versus New Council?

Only candidate with MAYBE a shot without a slate is Gardner? If she picks up momentum you just know somebody is gonna bring up her C-Fax interview comments on indigenous people. Incumbents wont let her get that close.

That Martay dude ran provincially in one of the victoria ridings in 2017. I remember he was living in a van or something and had a plan for B.C. to have its own BitCoin lol

Riga Godron and Stephen Andrew both ran for mayor in 2014 and now council in 2018. She hated him and you would think he grew to hate her back for all the crap he had to deal with from her. Will sparks fly again this election?

• Mike K. likes this

#3422 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

...while Loveday might not be vulnerable he certainly will not have nearly the cash this run.

He has name recognition, which to the ignorati that is much of the Victoria electorate, is all that matters.

• rjag likes this

#3423 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

it will be interesting to see how the slate helps. the slate name on the ballot should help.

Slates definitely help boost numbers. But as the Open Victoria slate proved, it can help a weak candidate become a competitive candidate but it's not a guaranteed win.

I see some Helps' signs on Cook St. Are they plastic, lol? May investigate later.

There aren't really any good alternatives to cheap and durable plastic in this climate. You could make the argument the plastic bag type of sign is better as it uses less plastic by weight than the rigid variety. It's possible to recycle both types. It's an election reality. Gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.

#3424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:46 AM

One can't help question the timing of this announcement.

...Lisa Helps is calling for an independent audit of the $105-million-plus Johnson Street Bridge project...Helps said the call for an audit might look like electioneering but that she committed in February...that she would ask council to endorse a call for an independent audit once the bridge project was finished...

• shoeflack and rmpeers like this

#3425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:52 AM

...There aren't really any good alternatives to cheap and durable plastic in this climate. You could make the argument the plastic bag type of sign is better as it uses less plastic by weight than the rigid variety. It's possible to recycle both types...

So plastic election signs can be recycled but "single use" plastic bags cannot? It takes some Kama Sutra-type twisting to justify this sort of hypocrisy.  :whyme:

• Awaiting Juno, Cassidy and rmpeers like this

#3426 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

I have/had been recycling my grocery stores plastic bags for more than 20 years (not all in Victoria).

#3427 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

One can't help question the timing of this announcement.

Isn’t it her who refuses to divulge the actual costs of the bridge? Maybe that would be a good start. 🧐
  • rmpeers likes this

#3428 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

Maybe she was too busy with her "family" to make the audit call before campaign time.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#3429 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:01 AM

I'm a Victoria voter this year. Probably time to change my username haha. In any event I just read the two slate websites. They're sort of uselessly barren of information. New Council's transportation line makes me nervous as a biker / transit user. 

I guess I will wait until there's more information available. I actually know two of the New Council people.... I May need to actually talk to someone! But seriously these websites need to be better. 

#3430 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

What's so scary about this?

"a transportation plan that recognizes all forms of mobility, and that automobiles are still a fundamental form of transportation of both goods and people."
  • Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3431 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

...I just read the two slate websites. They're sort of uselessly barren of information...

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but I am willing to take a chance on what I don't know about NewCouncil over what I do know about CurrentCouncil.

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#3432 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

New Council's transportation line makes me nervous as a biker / transit user. 

a transportation plan that recognizes all forms of mobility, and that automobiles are still a fundamental form of transportation of both goods and people.

A meaningless but worrying statement.

#3433 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

^worrying how? That the attack on the automobile will stop and be taken into consideration? Like maybe a parking garage built?
  • A Girl is No one likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3434 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

What's so scary about this?

"a transportation plan that recognizes all forms of mobility, and that automobiles are still a fundamental form of transportation of both goods and people."

I read that as a fancy way or saying "help with vehicle congestion" which is sorely needed and a good thing for a council and mayor to recognize
  • rjag, sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#3435 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

I bet the merchants along Fort Street would have found NewCouncil's statement less worrying 12-18 months ago.

#3436 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

in what way? Is it of the same concern as decolonisation? or the 'family' now thats worrying....

• Nparker likes this

#3437 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

I'd say the statement is worrying in the sense that, evidently, the vast majority of CRD residents/most CoV residents drive to work while the overwhelming majority of the infrastructure is set up for automobiles. But it position automobile users as being marginalized and displaced wholesale by bike lanes (since no one really feels antagonized by walking or buses). So to me it goes beyond just implying that investments need to be to alleviate congestion, but that car use should receive more priority.

Edited by Casual Kev, 15 September 2018 - 10:39 AM.

• Baro, Rob Randall, Jared and 1 other like this

#3438 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

What the statement should have read was that they recognize transportation is a regional issue and not a local issue and that they need to work with all local governments to create a comprehensive transportation plan that encompasses all users

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#3439 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

I bet the merchants along Fort Street would have found NewCouncil's statement less worrying 12-18 months ago.

Fort St really seems just fine.... Yeah construction bad. Victoria we hate everything. But seriously, there was like a few parking spots lost?

I suppose the mentality of the "Poor Fort St" and John A, are why I cannot take Victoria local politics too seriously... This just speaks to how great our lives are on the whole.
  • Baro and Jared like this

#3440 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

It's incredibly easy to read between the lines, or just be aware of the candidates opinions on various matters stated elsewhere.  The people running against Helps are trying to cash in on the "bikelash".  If Helps loses, expect no more future bike lanes and perhaps even the extremely expensive scrapping of our existing ones to be replaced with parking or more travel lanes as ideology is put ahead of proven transport engineering.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users