Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3461 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

To lay it straight will bike lane expansion be a priority among the New Council slate, or at least your own? Yeah blah blah it's a balancing act between different modes of transportation, but for instance - would you/New Council throw the remaining components of Biketoria into the backburner or otherwise downscale it?

My position - attribute to me only.

Before any infrastructure project moves forward I want to see an independent audit ifnthe Johnson Street Bridge.

We need this to review how your money was spent and what went wrong and what went right. This should not take long.

We will learn lessons from the audit and that we can apply to all infrastructure projects.

Biketoria is a valued project and I want to see it completed as successfully as possible and with an outcome that has the best value.

I do not want it “on the back burner”.

As to the priority in my mind: fast action on homeless file. This is getting out of hand. I want to see resources on this so we can move the needle.

I am asking people what they want to see. I have to be honest, expansion of bike lanes is not coming up at the door, online or in my emails. That doesn’t mean I dismiss the issue, I am not, you asked about first priorities and I do not want to mislead you.

I hope the next council will take the time to construct a transparent strategic plan to reflect issues in the city . I use this in my day-to-day work and on the two boards where I serve as a director. This way Councol would have a goal and you would know where in that plan each issue stands. I believe cycling infrastructure would high on the list.
  • Jared, grantpalin, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#3462 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Andrew - I really appreciate the straight, sensible answers. 

#3463 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:51 PM

Edison Kahakauwila, would this be someone from the luxury car and limo driver service company?

Yes. His wife Kyra is currently on Metchosin Council but is not running again. Both are (reasonably) active members of the BC Liberals 

#3464 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:00 PM

My position - attribute to me only.

Before any infrastructure project moves forward I want to see an independent audit ifnthe Johnson Street Bridge.

We need this to review how your money was spent and what went wrong and what went right. This should not take long.

We will learn lessons from the audit and that we can apply to all infrastructure projects.

Biketoria is a valued project and I want to see it completed as successfully as possible and with an outcome that has the best value.

As to the priority in my mind: fast action on homeless file. This is getting out of hand. I want to see resources on this so we can move the needle.

I am asking people what they want to see. I have to be honest, expansion of bike lanes is not coming up at the door, online or in my emails. That doesn’t mean I dismiss the issue, I am not, you asked about first priorities and I do not want to mislead you.

I hope the next council will take the time to construct a transparent strategic plan to reflect issues in the city . I use this in my day-to-day work and on the two boards where I serve as a director. This way Councol would have a goal and you would know where in that plan each issue stands. I believe cycling infrastructure would high on the list.

Stephen...........there you are.  Have not seen you since you covered Victoria Weather. And your battle with "C"

#3465 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:25 AM

Speaking for myself, but I will get a statement from other NewCouncil.ca candidates, your assumptions are not in keeping with my thoughts on the NewCouncil.ca statement.

I support cycling infrastructure and I wsn to see it continue. In fact, I can say here and now as a Councillor I would votes to continue expansion. The question becomes would I suportntje current method of imposing it rather than a collaborative plan that takes the needs and advice of neighbourhoods into account.

The needs and advice of neighbourhoods isn't the problem, it's the needs and advice of everyone trying to use the flippin' roads no matter where they live.

The mess that was Pandora affects everyone trying to cross town from Oak Bay to Esquimalt, everyone coming in from Gordon Head and other areas along Shelbourne-Begbie-Pandora (including a couple of rather major bus routes), and various people from Rockland-Fairfield who would otherwise use Pandora as a way of getting to Blanshard or Douglas to then head north out of town (though in fairness they can still use Yates now that it's finally not as clogged from construction).

The mess that was Fort doesn't affect quite so many...but it's still a mess. :)

The only way these dedicated bike lanes can even approach having a positive effect on overall transport efficiency is if they are not part of an existing road at all and have as many grade-separated crossings as possible.  In other words, what the Galloping Goose should have been right from day one: a bikes-only commuter/recreation route.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#3466 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:32 AM

So how much will an independent audit of the Johnson St bridge costs add to said costs?  Seems like throwing good money after bad to me....

Biketoria should be stopped in its tracks...not just put on the back burner, but taken off the stove entirely.  Plow that money instead into a) sorting out the homeless issue and b) upkeep of the infrastructure we already have.

That said, thanks for being direct and stating your position clearly enough to argue with. :)

#3467 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:31 AM

Aaaand there goes my vote.  Biketoria is unsalvageable because of how it ran roughshod over small businesses.  You're defending an infrastructure project that ignored the pleadings of real small businesses, causing some to close up shop.  And on top of it all, the City had the balls to go to these same small businesses to which they caused financial harm, which they firmly ignored, hat in hand, asking them to donate gift certificates to the f*****g kickoff parties.

Biketoria is completely out of scale for this City and uses an orientation (i.e., bi-directional) that was abandoned 20 years ago in Scandinavia, that only a zealot could love.  There are so many other competing infrastructure needs that it makes me question if you really know what this City and its citizens needs.  Fewer separated bike lane vanity projects, poets laureate and fancifully painted sidewalks, more streets repaved and serviced/cleaned.

• mbjj likes this

#3468 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:23 AM

Stephen...........there you are. Have not seen you since you covered Victoria Weather. And your battle with "C"

Weather?! lol. How soon they forget. 😉. I worked as a reporter at the Legislature, Beat reporting and from time to time working on investigative pieces. Nothing wrong with weather. As my friend Astrid will attest - far less stressful.
  • Nparker likes this

#3469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:29 AM

Forget the bike lanes, the bigger disaster on the horizon is the pool project.
  • Nparker, rjag, Bingo and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3470 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:34 AM

So how much will an independent audit of the Johnson St bridge costs add to said costs? Seems like throwing good money after bad to me....

Biketoria should be stopped in its tracks...not just put on the back burner, but taken off the stove entirely. Plow that money instead into a) sorting out the homeless issue and b) upkeep of the infrastructure we already have.

That said, thanks for being direct and stating your position clearly enough to argue with. :)

Thank you

I think I laid out priorities clearly.

The audit - I’m hopeful- should not cost the city.

I think we have to face the reality that we need multi use transportation options - cycling is there.

Retrofitting Victoria is an issue. We need to do it right and not simply impose it on the city. We need to look for optimum routes that do not hinder our current networks.

#3471 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:39 AM

Aaaand there goes my vote. Biketoria is unsalvageable because of how it ran roughshod over small businesses. You're defending an infrastructure project that ignored the pleadings of real small businesses, causing some to close up shop. And on top of it all, the City had the balls to go to these same small businesses to which they caused financial harm, which they firmly ignored, hat in hand, asking them to donate gift certificates to the ****ing kickoff parties.

Biketoria is completely out of scale for this City and uses an orientation (i.e., bi-directional) that was abandoned 20 years ago in Scandinavia, that only a zealot could love. There are so many other competing infrastructure needs that it makes me question if you really know what this City and its citizens needs. Fewer separated bike lane vanity projects, poets laureate and fancifully painted sidewalks, more streets repaved and serviced/cleaned.

Bob, I’m sorry I lost your vote - no one wants that.

If you read my comments you’ll see I’m coming at this from a balanced approach.

Gone are the days of all or nothing.
  • rjag and shoeflack like this

#3472 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:10 AM

Forget the bike lanes, the bigger disaster on the horizon is the pool project.

And depending on how people use the Extremely Powerful ability to VOTE in this year's election...........The Pool could by all means turn into another Blue Bridge Disaster.  It is already headed that way based on what I heard on C-Fax yesterday. Already major issues with the funding and the money due to poor management from city hall on the project.  In all my years, I have never seen a Council and Mayor of Victoria is so much hot water just before an election. And HELPS?  I can't figure out her strategy. She is running for re-election, yet she keeps doing things that work against her achieving that very goal.  If it isn't the Bike lane disaster, it's Statue-Gate, if it isn't Statue-Gate, her vow to even further reduce the city speed limit down to 30km/hour so a large part of Victoria becomes one giant "School Zone"

#3473 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

She’s trying to appeal to a lager group of left leaning and progressive voters who wouldn’t have voted for her vs Fortin but who she thinks will vote for her in a match between herself and Hammond.

Free bus passes, 30km/h speed limits, larger homes as “garden suites,” these are the things that she believes will grow her support.
  • Jared likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3474 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

So how much will an independent audit of the Johnson St bridge costs add to said costs?  Seems like throwing good money after bad to me....

The audit is just a smoke screen to appear to be doing something the voters will like and won't be completed before the election.....or after the election when it will fade into the mist somewhere in the Sooke Hills.

• Nparker, rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3475 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:40 AM

The audit is just a smoke screen to appear to be doing something the voters will like and won't be completed before the election.....or after the election when it will fade into the mist somewhere in the Sooke Hills.

She's just making noise to appease certain folks...it wont happen

• Bingo, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#3476 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

Bob, I’m sorry I lost your vote - no one wants that.

If you read my comments you’ll see I’m coming at this from a balanced approach.

Gone are the days of all or nothing.

Stephen - in all honesty, I may have indulged in hyperbole during the throes insomnia. In the time honoured tradition of what are Canadian elections, I will likely tick the box next to your name, but solely to keep more of the SJWist horde from breaching the gate as opposed to actually voting for you.  I can't think of a single local politician for whom I would positively cast a vote.

That said, I hope that you'll recognize that there's hay to be made amongst those of the electorate who are concerned about infrastructure deficits and skyrocketing business and residential property taxes (of which I have the dual privilege of paying both).

With the spike in development over the last decade, there is no way in Hell that we should ever have been subject to property tax increases over a period of growth of the property tax base.  Iconic bridges, gold-plated bike lanes and social engineering are not something that we as a local government should have ever funded.  But hey, when the City does as Donald Trump has done - with the OPM (Other People's Money) method of revenue generation - fiscal considerations are always Job 5 or 6, instead of Job 1.  One day, the milk of the public teat will go sour.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 16 September 2018 - 07:34 AM.

• rjag, sebberry, Stephen Andrew and 2 others like this

#3477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

,,,I worked as a reporter at the Legislature, Beat reporting and from time to time working on investigative pieces. Nothing wrong with weather. As my friend Astrid will attest - far less stressful.

Politics and weather: 2 things everyone complains about and neither of which we seem to be able to control.  :wacko:

• AndrewReeve, lanforod and Stephen Andrew like this

#3478 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

How about some more damn storm drains on Cook st. so our basement doesn't flood when chestnut leaves clog them! Or banning people from leafblowing even more leaves into the gutter! Every apartment in that area has a so-called "gardener" who does just that. I've had shouting matches with them to try get them to stop.

We avoid Fort St. like the plague now. It's a total pain-in-the-ass. We also used to get home via Rockland by the cathedral, another pain-in-the-ass. Can't turn left off of Quadra onto Burdett. It would be nice if someone elected would do something about that area.

• rjag and Bob Fugger like this

#3479 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

We avoid Fort St. like the plague now. It's a total pain-in-the-ass. We also used to get home via Rockland by the cathedral, another pain-in-the-ass. Can't turn left off of Quadra onto Burdett. It would be nice if someone elected would do something about that area.

I still laugh at Thornton Joe's reasoning behind blocking Beacon Hill Park road because of the commuters...I think someone must have shown her a picture of Stanley Park by the Lions Gate and thats what she ran with

• Nparker, mbjj and Mystic-Pizza like this

#3480 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:33 AM

The audit would be performed by BC's auditor general for local government. That is their job, won't cost us anything extra.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users