Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3481 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

Weather?! lol. How soon they forget. . I worked as a reporter at the Legislature, Beat reporting and from time to time working on investigative pieces. Nothing wrong with weather. As my friend Astrid will attest - far less stressful.

Weather and politics ...........kind of one in the same thing don't you think?  In politics you have have all the seasons and behaviors of the wheather. Things can heat up, things can cool down, Sometimes their is a storm, and sometimes there is a calm (often a calm before the storm) etc.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 16 September 2018 - 11:18 AM.

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#3482 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

Weather and politics ...........kind of one in the same thing don't you think?  In politics you have have all the seasons and behaviors of the wheather. Things can heat up, things can cool down, Sometimes their is a storm, and sometimes there is a calm (often a calm before the storm) etc.

You can't succeed in either, unless you know which way the wind blows...

• Nparker likes this

#3483 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:16 PM

You can't succeed in either, unless you know which way the wind blows...

...and from which hole.

#3484 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:19 PM

The audit would be performed by BC's auditor general for local government. That is their job, won't cost us anything extra.

Ah, OK then.  I read "independent outside audit" to mean hiring (an) external auditor(s) to go through it all.

#3485 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

She’s trying to appeal to a lager group of left leaning and progressive voters ....

Free bus passes, 30km/h speed limits, larger homes as “garden suites,” these are the things that she believes will grow her support.

A lager group of voters?  She should buy them all beer - guaranteed win!

I'm no Helps supporter but I don't mind the idea of secondary suites or garden suites or whatever they're being called this month - anything to provide more housing.  Free bus passes sounds like a pipe dream but I wouldn't say no if it came out real...though would the criteria be for getting one be proof that one doesn't own a car? (I haven't read her full platform yet)

#3486 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

...Free bus passes sounds like a pipe dream but I wouldn't say no if it came out real...

How would they be free? Someone has to cover the cost, whether that's the provincial or CoV taxpayer.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3487 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

Nothing is free... not even healthcare.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 16 September 2018 - 02:48 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3488 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,013 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

candidate meeting is under way.

https://www.facebook.com/allstreamedup

#3489 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,013 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

video shows more candidates than crowd, looks like.

#3490 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

i thought it was just free bus passes for students within k-12.. does this include adults now too? and how to we distinguish when there is other municipalities using the same buses, do kids just in victoria proper get free bus passes but kids on the other side of that magical line they don't get the passes even if they attend the same school?  what is to prevent the rampant selling of these passes to all the other municipalities in the area?

#3491 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

Bob, I’m sorry I lost your vote - no one wants that.

If you read my comments you’ll see I’m coming at this from a balanced approach.

Gone are the days of all or nothing.

I agree Stephen. I have the same thoughts about the current bike lanes as Bob but really appreciate your common sense and pragmatic approach and as such you have secured my vote! I’m excited to have you on council. We need someone like you.... badly!
  • Stephen Andrew, Awaiting Juno, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

#3492 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

^I know? Stephen didn't say Biketoria would continue as is. Something would continue, just not this come "heck or high water" shoved down your thought plan.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3493 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

Does anyone even know the full number of people that are running for council? Is it enough to dethrone all of the current council members.........including Mr. Young?

One thing is for sure, then entire current council MUST GO along with the mayor.  Also how many council members does Victoria have?

• rmpeers likes this

#3494 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

Does anyone even know the full number of people that are running for council? 

29 people are running for 8 CoV council positions. I believe there are now 8 (or maybe 9) looking to become mayor.

#3495 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

29 people are running for 8 CoV council positions. I believe there are now 8 (or maybe 9) looking to become mayor.

Unfortunately, most of the incumbents will remain as its name recognition not performance

#3496 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

^I know? Stephen didn't say Biketoria would continue as is. Something would continue, just not this come "heck or high water" shoved down your thought plan.

And I want to be clear here. It’s important we don’t play the wiggle room political speak.

As councillor is look at the plan as is. I support expansion. Of the infrastructure.

I see a huge opportunity to continue with a plan that does not advance an “Us” and “Them” situation.

I also should disclose I’m not a cyclist. Just for transparency. However, I’m also not a runner, yet I sit on the board of RunSport, the society the owns and produces the TC10k. My job is oversight and guarding the public trust.

As a councillor I will perform the same duty.

There must be a solution that makes everyone happy. Or at least somewhat happy.
  • sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#3497 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

I agree Stephen. I have the same thoughts about the current bike lanes as Bob but really appreciate your common sense and pragmatic approach and as such you have secured my vote! I’m excited to have you on council. We need someone like you.... badly!

I'm on the same boat.

• rmpeers likes this

#3498 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:26 PM

There must be a solution that makes everyone happy. Or at least somewhat happy.

I would be happy with a solution that made nobody unhappy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3499 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

Unfortunately, most of the incumbents will remain as its name recognition not performance

If you truly want change, please consider stepping up and find a way to exact change.
S

#3500 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

The sad truth of local politics. I am trying to take some comfort in the fact that there will be at least 2 new faces on council...as long as those 2 people offer real change and not just more of the same. The lack of any significant alternative points of view among the members of the current council is disheartening.

Edited by Nparker, 16 September 2018 - 08:19 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users