Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#21 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Only if you promise to end homelessness, everywhere in the Universe for ever.

Not a problem as I plan to post Nparker as homelessness ambassador.

HB will be head of media relations, VHF will co-chair the position.

Nagel/Coreyburger with bike infrastructure.

Bingo and Gary will take over the bridge project.

And of course JohnN on the sewage.

All Council meetings will take place within Vibrant Victoria - I think a lot more will get accomplished.

• Mike K., Nparker, Bingo and 1 other like this

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

...All Council meetings will take place within Vibrant Victoria - I think a lot more will get accomplished.

Guaranteed! :thumbsup:

Edit: What will Mike K's position be?

Edited by Nparker, 26 April 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#23 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

Guaranteed! :thumbsup:

Edit: What will Mike K's position be?

rubber stamping developments

• Mike K., Nparker, AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Can I run as a man who believes he's trapped inside the Internet as an octopus named Todd?

Enough with the obscure references to the Tinto Rocks.

Just to clarify, Todd is the name of the octopus? Or is Todd the name of the man?

I can support the former but I'm not entirely comfortable with the latter.

#25 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

rubber stamping developments

Of course I will have posts for everyone.

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

All Council meetings will take place within Vibrant Victoria - I think a lot more will get accomplished.

Egad! Would I need to get an east facing condo in Promontory to oversee the site?

#27 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Egad! Would I need to get an east facing condo in Promontory to oversee the site?

Not a problem just submit an invoice to the Mayor's office.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

I would vote for Ross Crockford.

I would also add Rob Randall and aastra to the list...if we are talking about a VV council.

• Nparker likes this

#29 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

I would also add Rob Randall and aastra to the list...if we are talking about a VV council.

Hold a VV primary and narrow it down to a slate for council and mayor?

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Hold a VV primary and narrow it down to a slate for council and mayor?

• I advocate building a wall around tent city and make the tenters pay for it.
  • We need to stop allowing Chinese steel into the country and we need to identify all Chinese steel currently here. Chinese steel is taking away the jobs of domestic steel.
  • Make Victoria GRATE again. (you know like the metal on the pedestrian sections of the existing JSB)

• spanky123 likes this

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

The problem in any race for mayor of Victoria is the scale of campaign needed to be successful is something like what it takes to win a federal seat.   It is actually harder to win the mayor's seat than become MP for Victoria because you have to build the whole campaign up from nothing.  I have had to do this numerous times and it takes a lot more time than people think.

200-400 active volunteers for 8 weeks - GOTV on election day will take at least 200 to 250 people

$60,000 to $120,000 - the more individual donors the better.   A self funded campaign spending $120,000 is not going to get much traction and will fail.   Ideal would be raising money from 400 to 800 people - donors become vry vested in the success of the campaign

Core campaign team in place and active by May 1st 2018 - they will at least four months to build the volunteer team needed

Effectively it means someone wanting to challenge Lisa Helps for mayor needs to start working on it by the fall of 2017.

Who could it be?   Realistically it should be someone with experience of sitting on a council.    Very few people have ever successful stepped into the mayor's job with no local government experience, the last one to do so in Victoria was David Turner and he lasted one term.  

The pool of potential candidates is not large.

Finally, do you think Lisa Helps is that unpopular that she would b defeated in Victoria?   I am not at all convinced of that

#32 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

One of the problems with our local politicians is they think they are the solution. Regardless of all their community outreach, we care about what you think, they all approach the problems from their limited skill sets. We need a mayor who understands their own limitations and finds the best and brightest to take on the hard tasks, like a CEO at a successful company. Too many people in this town have alot of say with very little responsibility and that leads to crappy decisions and in camera meetings.

• Nparker likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

The problem in any race for mayor of Victoria is the scale of campaign needed to be successful is something like what it takes to win a federal seat.   It is actually harder to win the mayor's seat than become MP for Victoria because you have to build the whole campaign up from nothing.  I have had to do this numerous times and it takes a lot more time than people think.

200-400 active volunteers for 8 weeks - GOTV on election day will take at least 200 to 250 people

$60,000 to $120,000 - the more individual donors the better.   A self funded campaign spending $120,000 is not going to get much traction and will fail.   Ideal would be raising money from 400 to 800 people - donors become vry vested in the success of the campaign

Core campaign team in place and active by May 1st 2018 - they will at least four months to build the volunteer team needed

Effectively it means someone wanting to challenge Lisa Helps for mayor needs to start working on it by the fall of 2017.

Who could it be?   Realistically it should be someone with experience of sitting on a council.    Very few people have ever successful stepped into the mayor's job with no local government experience, the last one to do so in Victoria was David Turner and he lasted one term.  

The pool of potential candidates is not large.

Finally, do you think Lisa Helps is that unpopular that she would b defeated in Victoria?   I am not at all convinced of that

The pool of potential (good) candidates willing to give up a $200K+ salary to work for $90K and take 4 years of abuse is non-existent!

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

.....nothing for Sparky? :(

#35 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

.....nothing for Sparky? :(

Posts for everyone! Some people are just experts in everything, some people have specialties(not that there also not experts in everything just extra expert at certain things).  :D

• Sparky likes this

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

The pool of potential (good) candidates willing to give up a $200K+ salary to work for $90K and take 4 years of abuse is non-existent!

Not all potential good candidates are earning anything close to $200K, in fact most business owners do not make for good mayors within the local government model we have in BC

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

...Finally, do you think Lisa Helps is that unpopular that she would be defeated in Victoria?...

Much will depend on how she ultimately handles the tent city issue, the effects of regulated marijuana sales and of course the Johnson Street Bridge fiasco. I'd include the matters of the police chief and waste water treatment on this list, but I am not entirely sure either will be fully resolved by October 2018. I honestly believe a viable alternate candidate (not Comrade Isitt) could unseat Ms. Helps if she chooses to run again (and perhaps she may not).

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

Lisa is in the same boat as Hillary Clinton. Not universally popular but for her to lose, her opponent would need to do unexpectedly well and she would have to falter. As it stands, both women should have no troubles come Election Day.

"Very few people have ever successful stepped into the mayor's job with no local government experience, the last one to do so in Victoria was David Turner and he lasted one term."

Rob Reid came within a few dozen votes in 2008 despite a very late start and a poor campaign.

#39 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Lisa is in the same boat as Hillary Clinton. Not universally popular but for her to lose, her opponent would need to do unexpectedly well and she would have to falter. As it stands, both women should have no troubles come Election Day.

Rob Reid came within a few dozen votes in 2008 despite a very late start and a poor campaign.

I would have to agree, I do not see a serious potential candidate on the horizon

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I would have to agree, I do not see a serious potential candidate on the horizon

Not that I consider him even the least bit qualified, but who would have considered the Donald a serious candidate for PoTUS in the Spring of 2014? I find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone equally as qualified as Lisa Helps available to challenge her in 29 months time.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users