Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#61 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

That was my point... folks saying that it must take a former council member or very strong community leader to knock of Helps... nah. If she disillusions a lot of Victorians, it can be anyone with a semi-strong resume and the ability to talk a good game.

Certainly.  Also, CoV is a pretty orange town, and while she's going a touch far with the homeless file, she's got 2.5 years to pivot to a more reasonable position.

Now if the bridge doesn't lift and the bike lanes get filled with helmetless pedestrian-murdering scofflaws, then she's probably going to get the boot.  If all that goes well and she at least gets the camp moved somewhere more tasteful, then I think she'll be ok.

• qv likes this

#62 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Amalgamation is our only hope to permanently get rid of hacks like lisa helps
  • Nparker likes this

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

...Amalgamation is our only hope...

That's all that really needs to be said.

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

^I don't see the connection. Have you seen the minor leaguers that run in the burbs?

#65 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

^I don't see the connection. Have you seen the minor leaguers that run in the burbs?

Lisa Helps is as minor league as they come.

#66 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

She's as deaf to criticism of her stances as Christy Clark. That doesn't make one minor league.

#67 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

I personally think Lisa Helps is one of the better mayors the City of Victoria has had.    Dean Fortin was never temperamentally suited to be mayor.  Alan Lowe - nice guy but I am really not sure why he was mayor.  Bob Cross - I suspect most people will have forgotten he was mayor.   David Turner - personally I like him from my sitting on committees at UVic, but he was mayor moonbeam.  The last half decent mayor was Gretchen Brewin

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

I personally think Lisa Helps is one of the better mayors the City of Victoria has had...

You may be right, but what a terrible statement that is to have to agree with.  :huh:

#69 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

You may be right, but what a terrible statement that is to have to agree with.  :huh:

I will say she has not done as well as I had expected her to do.

The city of Victoria does not have a track record of strong mayors

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

...The city of Victoria does not have a track record of strong mayors

Whereas Saanich simply does not have a long list of mayors. There's Atwell, and before that Leonard and before that...well whose memory goes back that far?

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

I personally think Lisa Helps is one of the better mayors the City of Victoria has had.    Dean Fortin was never temperamentally suited to be mayor.  Alan Lowe - nice guy but I am really not sure why he was mayor.  Bob Cross - I suspect most people will have forgotten he was mayor.   David Turner - personally I like him from my sitting on committees at UVic, but he was mayor moonbeam.  The last half decent mayor was Gretchen Brewin

...says the fellow awaiting Helps' blessing for a pot dispensary license  :1954_dancing:

All the nonsense aside (of which there is a lot), I do appreciate Helps' no BS stance on development. She knows what's up (in that regard) and wants to densify the core. But the cynical part of me thinks her motives for supporting development are to keep taxes at bay while she's pushing through her other agendas. Once development eases (as it will eventually), hold on to your tax payer hats!

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

...says the fellow awaiting Helps' blessing for a pot dispensary license  :1954_dancing:

All the nonsense aside (of which there is a lot), I do appreciate Helps' no BS stance on development. She knows what's up (in that regard) and wants to densify the core. But the cynical part of me thinks her motives for supporting development are to keep taxes at bay while she's pushing through her other agendas. Once development eases (as it will eventually), hold on to your tax payer hats!

If she sees a link between development and the existence of a tax base, that already makes her a better representative than several of the councilors!

• Nparker likes this

#73 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

Is this all I am going to be known for?

#74 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

Is this all I am going to be known for?

No.  We all get a one time low blow.  Mike and I already used ours up.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#75 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

No.  We all get a one time low blow.  Mike and I already used ours up.

so no more pots shots?

• Mike K., Nparker, rjag and 4 others like this

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

so no more pot shots?

This gets the "post of the day award"  :thumbsup:

• Bernard likes this

#77 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

This gets the "post of the day award"  :thumbsup:

only just getting back in the game

• Nparker likes this

#78 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

Bernard, on 10 May 2016 - 1:10 PM, said:

Well you are welcome to her and all the ilk on the council. This is why full amalgamation will never happen, the looney lefties are happy with her, that doesn't play well in any other muni. Get used to more of the same. If she does get re-elected she will take that as tacit approval of her record so BOHICA.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Well you are welcome to her and all the ilk on the council. This is why full amalgamation will never happen, the looney lefties are happy with her, that doesn't play well in any other muni. Get used to more of the same. If she does get re-elected she will take that as tacit approval of her record so BOHICA.

I'm unsure if you mean Bernard is a loonie lefty.  That's not my take.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:58 AM

I'm unsure if you mean Bernard is a loonie lefty.  That's not my take.

I have been called that, though people on the left tend to think of my as some sort of evil right wing Harperite.    New Democrats crap on me because I am green and point out the NDP is not very pro environment.    People with more extreme partisan views from across the political spectrum tend to think I am somehow the enemy.

Meanwhile, Victoria council under Lisa Helps.   In my opinion city hall has improved with her as mayor.    Do I think things are great?  No, but they are better.

I am currently a Saanich resident so I can not vote in Victoria, but unless there was a much better option for mayor, I would vote for Lisa Helps.    I would vote for Chris Coleman.   I have not heard many names I would vote for instead of Lisa Helps

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users