• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#4201 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

^It should all be in the fine print. 

Here's their website: http://citiesforeveryone.org/

I don't see anywhere on their website that they identify who they are or the rationale used for scoring the survey.

#4202 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

My strata is trying to get me to remove election signage that I have placed in one of the windows of my condo. Apparently they are not familiar with the BC Election Act [S228.1 (2) ]

Doesn't apply to local government elections, unfortunately. Under definitions: "'election' means an election of an individual to serve as a member of the Legislative Assembly". There are a bunch of things from that Act that really should get copied over to the Local Government Act...

#4203 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

Well, he's not pro-automobile if that's your beef.

Hahaha thats a good one!  nope, I've heard him interviewed a few different occasions, he likes to blow his own horn

#4204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

Doesn't apply to local government elections, unfortunately. Under definitions: "'election' means an election of an individual to serve as a member of the Legislative Assembly". There are a bunch of things from that Act that really should get copied over to the Local Government Act...

I cannot see any language in the Local Government Act the speaks specifically to private election signage. Could a person challenge a strata to defend its bylaws because other electoral law allows for signage?

Edited by Nparker, 03 October 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#4205 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

Virtually every muni in BC has folks working on climate plans so that is hardly a Victoria thing, nor a "progressive" thing, nor an "SJW" thing. I will virtually guarantee that a Hammond led Victoria will still spend time and money planning for climate change..

That only proves that a lot of otherwise sensible people have drunk the kool aid. Even if the alarmist position were true, municipal emissions are insignificant. Canada as a whole adds only about 1% to human caused atmospheric carbon. And that is only 2-3% of the total - the other 98% produced naturally by decay and volcanoes. This not the forum for climate issue, but I wii note that 15,000 years ago there was a glacier a few blocks from my house. It didn't melt due to smoke from campfires.

My point is that local politicians should deal with local problems, not spend time and money on virtue signalling. I don't know what Hammond would do. If he dives into this one with Lisa's enthusiasm I would be critical of him too.
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

#4206 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

^I think you could easily make that a quadrant. You can still put a wide spectrum of views on it just by arranging where they are within each quadrant.

Here's page you should bookmark. It's the affordability ratings produced by Todd Litman and "Cities For Everyone". It's also educational as it shows who's responding to surveys and who simply can't be bothered.

pdf: http://citiesforever...tform=hootsuite

sample excerpt:

42965145_1837507889619897_78047397605508

I saw that the Voting Helps people (whose views do not necessarily reflect the views of L Helps, any resemblance to camdidates living or dead is purely coincidental) were touting this. Presumably because it gives Helps an A and Hammond a C.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#4207 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

I saw that the Voting Helps people (whose views do not necessarily reflect the views of L Helps, any resemblance to camdidates living or dead is purely coincidental) were touting this. Presumably because it gives Helps an A and Hammond a C.

Which is why it would be nice to know who is behind it.

• Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#4208 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

That take on it is nonsense and yet another example of spreading misinformation.

The idea made its way to Council by Thornton-Joe via the City's accessibility working group where it was a frequent topic of discussion. Council has an obligation to at least consider recommendations so they tossed it to staff saying, is this feasible and what are the costs. That's how these things should be handled. I haven't heard anything since so likely the idea died.

The City has had a policy of tearing out diseased or weak cherry trees and replacing them with flowering magnolias so that they alternate along the boulevard. This is smart because if one cherry tree is sick, the disease can't spread to adjoining cherry trees.

I could be wrong but I’m almost certain that Helps talked about replacing the cherry trees. Then I thought it was a bad idea that went nowhere but I see a lot of cherry trees getting cut and upon inquiry I got a letter (after much pressure and months of wait) telling me that the cherry trees on a couple of streets in my area are getting replaced by some other types of flowering trees. I don’t think people realize this but it this continues, we may find ourselves without cherry trees... and no one will notice, like the proverbial frog in the pot of boiling water. Forgive me for being overly suspicious but these past few years have taught me to be. 😕

#4209 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

^^Thanks for posting those articles. I see Helps isn't even mentioned in them. There are plenty of things to criticize her about without traipsing into Fantasy Gardens.

Helps was involved in the whole Vander Zalm Fantasy Gardens debacle? Wow!

• Nparker and Mystic-Pizza like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4210 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Helps was involved in the whole Vander Zalm Fantasy Gardens debacle? Wow!

And the sad part is......Vander Zalm was found completely innocent of all charges and accusations made against him in a court of law ..........After he was defeated and the Social Credit Party fell of course. He was innocent all along and the courts fully recognized that fact. Unfortunately the damage was done.  That being said......Helps has got herself dug into a big deep ole pit and she can't get out of, and her wrong doings have been documented very well. She can deny all she wants, but the facts are the facts.

#4211 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Someones commissioned a polling company for the CoV election. Called my home # this evening, I'm not in CoV but went through the questions, they seemed pretty balanced but I'm sure Lisa fanboys would claim otherwise

#4212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

^Can you recall the questions?

#4213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:51 PM

interesting. candidates don’t have much extra money for polling this time around but I wonder if they can get third parties to do it and get around spend limits.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#4214 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

I finally have someone to vote for. Interested in Mayor Peeps.

351dd72507.jpg

Vandalism of signs is "wrong" but this gave me a good giggle.

Edited by Baro, 03 October 2018 - 06:57 PM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4215 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

Someones commissioned a polling company for the CoV election. Called my home # this evening, I'm not in CoV but went through the questions, they seemed pretty balanced but I'm sure Lisa fanboys would claim otherwise

Aren’t the pollsters required to identify themselves and who hired them?

#4216 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

I got this too (live in Saanich) but I just hung up

#4217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

I finally have someone to vote for. Interested in Mayor Peeps...

At last, a candidate I can endorse without reservation.

aboutBannerPeep.png

#4218 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:26 PM

^Can you recall the questions?

Pretty generic, 

which mayor will you vote for and it lists all the names,

of the following whats of concern for you? transport, taxes and budgeting, affordable housing, homelessness etc

did you agree how the statue was handled

there was a question about the bike lanes but i cant remember the exact words

and about 4 more like that

#4219 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

^Interesting. And they didn't ask if you were a Victoria resident, eh?

I saw a sign for Douglas Stewart. Simply his name against a tartan background. A nod to his nativist platform is about as delicate as I can put it.

There's a big Isitt sign on Quadra. If you look closely at the bottom where it's been covered over you can tell it's one of his old mayoral signs from 2002 or 2005.

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 October 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#4220 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

^Interesting. And they didn't ask if you were a Victoria resident, eh?

it was an automated call, no actual conversation, push 1 for this, 2 for that, 3 for this etc

it would have made sense to ask at the beginning if I was a CoV resident  

Edited by rjag, 03 October 2018 - 08:38 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users