2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#721 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

I've always admired the commitment to a Nuclear-Free Zone. Shout it from the rooftops!

Thank you for the memories johnk. In fact, way back, in the 1980s when Gretchen Brewin announced her run for Mayor of Victoria, she pointed to that as her most proud accomplishment, after three terms on Council. Indeed, let's shout it from the rooftops! Lol.

• johnk likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#722 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Those binders are for reference purposes. Councillors are not expected to read and comprehend every sentence in those reports, nor does every page contain information for a human to sit and ponder over.

Just a single development applicate can contain dozens if not hundreds of pages of floorplan and engineering/technical data that is required for officialdom to have but is by no means poured over by a councillor.

Yes, silly little details like actual bridge design, lack of final costs, missing bridge fendering, and other non-essential items.  No good reason to actually read the damn stuff........just vote YES!!

• Rob Randall, rjag, Coreyburger and 1 other like this

#723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Oh yeah, haha!

That sort of stuff doesn't even hit their desks until after the fact, no doubt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#724 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Today would have been election day under the old three-year terms.

Helps (and Atwell) won a close contest. Interesting to think how an election held today would be different than one a year from now. Would it allow time for more accomplishments leading to re-election, or more time for disenchantment and the desire for change?

#725 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Municipal elections are on Saturdays. Not sure how that makes it today.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 November 2017 - 09:49 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#726 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

You're right, today's the anniversary (November 15) of the 2008 and 2014 elections. They just happened to fall on a Saturday.

#727 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Today would have been election day under the old three-year terms.

Helps (and Atwell) won a close contest. Interesting to think how an election held today would be different than one a year from now. Would it allow time for more accomplishments leading to re-election, or more time for disenchantment and the desire for change?

It could also soften the edges of the tent city fiasco, people may see only the playground with happy kids.
A shiny new bridge will be open and many will say it was worth whatever the bill.
Millions spent on bike paths may be down the memory hole as well.
And the bumbling over l'affaire Elsner will have been swept away.
Short memories can be of great benefit to politicians.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#728 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,412 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Don't count on the bridge being open until it's actually open... As I recall, there isn't much room for error. One rounding error somewhere in the calcs and it won't line up right.

• Bingo likes this

#729 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

And don't count on there being less issues over the next year.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#730 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

And don't count on there being less issues over the next year.  

This forum is also a poor reflection of the electorate of the city (or the region), so don't count on "issues" actually being vote getters (or losters)

#731 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Helps has 2,300 followers on Facebook while VV has nearly 23,000. Any suggestion that VV isn’t representative of local opinion I would think is unfounded. Just because only a few people regularily on a topic doesn’t mean that there isn’t broad support.
  • Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,063 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

...don't count on "issues" actually being vote getters (or losters)

"losters" = loser-lobsters?  :confused:

#733 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Helps has 2,300 followers on Facebook while VV has nearly 23,000. Any suggestion that VV isn’t representative of local opinion I would think is unfounded. Just because only a few people regularily on a topic doesn’t mean that there isn’t broad support.

People who actively post on VV is a lot smaller - in the low hundreds at best.

#734 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

"losters" = loser-lobsters?  :confused:

Loster: a lobster in the pot
  • Nparker likes this

#735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,854 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

People who actively post on VV is a lot smaller - in the low hundreds at best.

Yes, but tens of thousands of people ready the forum monthly. They wouldn't necessarily be reading this forum if the content 100% at odds with their points of view.

I know our polls can be downright wonky, but there's really no better place to genuinely get a feel for the pulse of the city. Whether or not you agree with the poster is another matter, but at least you're informed.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#736 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Yes, but tens of thousands of people ready the forum monthly. They wouldn't necessarily be reading this forum if the content 100% at odds with their points of view.

I know our polls can be downright wonky, but there's really no better place to genuinely get a feel for the pulse of the city. Whether or not you agree with the poster is another matter, but at least you're informed.

I read all kinds of crap I disagree with (including stuff on this forum) - reading is not agreeing. And this forum has a justifiable reputation for chasing off new people that disagree with the orthodoxy

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall, Nparker and 2 others like this

#737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,854 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

99%* of folks will read either CBC News or National Post, but not both. 99%* of folks will religiously follow CNN or Fox, but not both.

Sometimes, if a resource allows participation (like VV), they'll even engage other contributors to further along their point of view or to promote a narrative. Nobody consumes information or puts their time into something because it's a 100% losing proposition, they do it to educate themselves or to influence others.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#738 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,412 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

^ I challenge that. I think many people use a news aggregator site, and just read whatever pops up at the top, no matter whether its CBC, G&M, Fox, CNN, CTV, or Al Jazeera. That's what I do. I just keep an open mind regarding the source, and if I'm interested, go looking for additional sources, ideally from the opposing political slant.

• Rob Randall likes this

#739 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,854 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'm talking more-so about actively pursuing news and not just watching a list of headlines (VV wouldn't be on any such aggregator).

Know it all.

#740 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

I’ll tell you how I consume news.

I’m here of course. I scan every TC headline daily. I go to Vic News, National Post and CBC daily. Plus CHEK and CTV VI every day.

I do not seek international news daily but I have breaking news alerts from CNN and Fox delivered by email. Same for News 1130 from Vancouver.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users