Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#741 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

I read these forums because they represent viewpoints that I often don't otherwise hear. I receive a lot of emails and phone calls from constituents but I definitely hear from the same people quite regularly. I recognize the need to break out of that bubble, that is why I try to doorknock once a week to listen to residents and it is also why I read forums like this one.

As always, I'm also available to discuss your ideas and concerns directly over the phone or coffee so please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Yes, but tens of thousands of people ready the forum monthly. They wouldn't necessarily be reading this forum if the content 100% at odds with their points of view.

I know our polls can be downright wonky, but there's really no better place to genuinely get a feel for the pulse of the city. Whether or not you agree with the poster is another matter, but at least you're informed.

• rjag, Pam, jonny and 5 others like this

#742 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

Ah, very good.

That was a solid segment on CFAX yesterday afternoon, btw. I liked it.

• J_Loveday and Franks_YYJ like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#743 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

I read all kinds of crap I disagree with (including stuff on this forum) - reading is not agreeing. And this forum has a justifiable reputation for chasing off new people that disagree with the orthodoxy

What's justifiable about chasing off people with a different pov?  

I thought this forum was for everyone concerned with the Victoria Municipal Election.  I mean, "if you keep walking in the same direction, you're likely to end up where you're headed" no?  The tribalism in this "enlightened community" of VanIsle is breath-taking!

#744 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

I read these forums because they represent viewpoints that I often don't otherwise hear. I receive a lot of emails and phone calls from constituents but I definitely hear from the same people quite regularly. I recognize the need to break out of that bubble, that is why I try to doorknock once a week to listen to residents and it is also why I read forums like this one.

As always, I'm also available to discuss your ideas and concerns directly over the phone or coffee so please don't hesitate to reach out. 

...and, credit to Mr. Loveday!

I dont agree with many of Jeremy's ideas but that fact is unimportant.  

What's important is that he 1) is here, and 2) identifies himself. 

(on that note, if anyone can tell me how to change "Taco" to "Stephen", I'd like to do it, lol.)

• Nparker, J_Loveday and Franks_YYJ like this

#745 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

I've always liked the idea of real time campaign disclosures.

I can also state for the record that I haven't asked for or received any corporate or union donations for the 2018 election.

Wonderful idea but, i'm guessing, unlikely.

Selina Robinson's new leg cancelling donations also includes a grandfathering clause for 2018 if the donation was made prior to Oct 31, 2017, lol.

Expect we'll find out in the disclosure forms (long after the election) that these donations happened a while ago, before Victoria pulled out of the bargaining unit, maybe? 

Well... can we get any municipal candidates to 

A)  declare if they have any union money for the next election (they can keep that which was  donated prior to October 31st)

and/or

B) declare their donations in real-time, online before the election

Edited by J_Loveday, 15 November 2017 - 02:23 PM.

• Franks_YYJ likes this

#746 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

What's justifiable about chasing off people with a different pov?  

I thought this forum was for everyone concerned with the Victoria Municipal Election.  I mean, "if you keep walking in the same direction, you're likely to end up where you're headed" no?  The tribalism in this "enlightened community" of VanIsle is breath-taking!

Nothing is justifiable about running people off. VV's reputation of doing that is well known (hence the phrase).

#747 Franks_YYJ

Franks_YYJ
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

I'm new and not scared off yet! 

Nothing is justifiable about running people off. VV's reputation of doing that is well known (hence the phrase).

#748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Sorry, Taco, just last month we ran off the guy who changes names around here.

PS, private message me and I'll get you sorted  :cop: 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#749 Franks_YYJ

Franks_YYJ
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I just read back a few pages and saw talk of helping constituents. That there is the real incumbent advantage. I've emailed Council a bunch of times. I always get a few replies but Loveday and Isitt reply every time. Loveday helped fix residential parking on my street and I guarantee that gets him votes from people that don't always agree with him....being helpful, accessible and friendly.

Thornton-Joe is also at every event ever talking to everyone..same goes for Coleman. 

• J_Loveday likes this

#750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

That's exactly what I asked the councillor's to help with on my mom's street.

Know it all.

#751 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

As usual I beg to differ on your statement.You and I dont agree on much but I dont take it personally and I hope you dont either.

I think the debate here can get quite heated and lively, but at least its debate, perhaps with a bit of sarcasm but its folks experiences and opinions and willingness to contribute. The ones you claim are chased off I think are frustrated because they didnt come here to debate but to preach and didnt like it when challenged.  

I remember John Vickers making a comment about municipal politicians when it came to the topic of amalgamation, its like a cat lover going to a dog club and telling everyone there how superior cats are to dogs....Not going to go over very well.

• sebberry and Bingo like this

#752 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

As usual I beg to differ on your statement.You and I dont agree on much but I dont take it personally and I hope you dont either.

I think the debate here can get quite heated and lively, but at least its debate, perhaps with a bit of sarcasm but its folks experiences and opinions and willingness to contribute. The ones you claim are chased off I think are frustrated because they didnt come here to debate but to preach and didnt like it when challenged.  

I remember John Vickers making a comment about municipal politicians when it came to the topic of amalgamation, its like a cat lover going to a dog club and telling everyone there how superior cats are to dogs....Not going to go over very well.

so which club is this?  

• rjag likes this

#753 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

I've always liked the idea of real time campaign disclosures.

I can also state for the record that I haven't asked for or received any corporate or union donations for the 2018 election.

Good for you and thank you for doing the right thing and, even more, for saying so.

The rule and intent are pretty obvious and the writing has been on the wall for a while - anyone who accepted such donations in the face of this change is pretty cynical and selfish.

#754 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

You have to respect Loveday and Isitt for wearing out the shoe leather and making the effort compared to some lazy candidates who feel entitled to the position.

The ones you claim are chased off I think are frustrated because they didnt come here to debate but to preach and didnt like it when challenged.

That's not true. There has been bullying of newcomers.

• Coreyburger likes this

#755 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

You have to respect Loveday and Isitt for wearing out the shoe leather and making the effort compared to some lazy candidates who feel entitled to the position.

That's not true. There has been bullying of newcomers.

Is it really called bullying when it's just a bunch of us on a keyboard?

And not because they were newcomers though.  If someone comes on here that has contrary views to a lot of us, it might seem like they get roughed up a bit, but it's likely just as their views oppose so many of us here.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#756 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

My political leanings might place me in a minority here and some members present views quite opposed to my own. No worries, as long as we present our views in non-personal, non-abusive ways.
Debate is a cornerstone of democracy and all of us are better off when different takes are presented. Silos have become common in the on-line age but ultimately they are not constructive. It's always healthy to know what "the enemy" is thinking. Sometimes they are right!
  • rjag and jonny like this

#757 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

I think the debate here can get quite heated and lively, but at least its debate, perhaps with a bit of sarcasm but its folks experiences and opinions and willingness to contribute.

The ones you claim are chased off I think are frustrated because they didn't come here to debate but to preach and didn't like it when challenged.  

It takes a few posts and a few days or weeks to find out if if a person is a one issue poster and has something of value to add to the conversation.

After a period of time you know when and what to believe and what not to, but you gain a respect for all opinions, even if if you disagree with some of them.

Usually it comes down to just being able to lighten up a bit.

• rjag and johnk like this

#758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

If you want to see bullying just pay attention to the absolute nonsense some people spew towards VV when we dare post something they happen to not like that week/that day/that moment on our Facebook page.

It's downright nasty, petty and in some cases so crude and demeaning that we outright ban the individuals from ever posting again. And you'd be surprised by the people behind some of the comments, to be honest. 

Victorians can be extremely vicious when in front of a keyboard. But I'm proud to say that none of that viciousness ever happens here, even though some people might feel like they're not immediately welcomed with their contrarian opinions on a forum that has been around for over a decade and is pretty well established as an inclusive community with a definitive political nod to the centre-right.

• rjag, GaryRanson and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#759 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

facebook has become the go-to venting site for anonymous keyboard warriors around the world, for sure.
  • Mike K. and Midnightly like this

#760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

We've been labelled weaponized, too, by people on Facebook. Seriously, there's a contingent of people out there who think we're in bed with Russians to undermine civic politics in Victoria.

I guess when you get to a certain level of notoriety the floodgates open and you're everything to everyone or nothing to no one, lol.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users